News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replaced my gas tank, and now my gas gauge is doing the funky. FIXED!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 04, 2009, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 12, 2009, 03:43:11 PM
Finally fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The trick was not bending the tube, but bending the float arm so it doesn't have to travel as high.  :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

If you bent the arm so the float wouldn't travel as high, wouldn't that make your gauge read even less.  I thought I read it at first that you bent it so the float would raise higher indicating a fuller tank but I wanted to make sure.  I tried bending mine down (a lot) to make it raise higher but it still didn't regester full.  I took apart the unit to check the copper strip inside but didn't help much either.  Seems like the arm has to be in the upper range of the swing on mine to start reading gas and not enough to bend to get it there floating wise.  I'm fed up with wasting time on it  :brickwall: and going to order another one but this time locally so I can at least return it and get some money back if it don't work. The one I got is a loss of $60. Only brand I can run across anyone selling is Spectra.  I'm glad you at least got your's fixed  :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: oldcarnut on June 13, 2009, 09:31:14 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 12, 2009, 03:43:11 PM
Finally fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The trick was not bending the tube, but bending the float arm so it doesn't have to travel as high.  :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

If you bent the arm so the float wouldn't travel as high, wouldn't that make your gauge read even less.  I thought I read it at first that you bent it so the float would raise higher indicating a fuller tank but I wanted to make sure.  I tried bending mine down (a lot) to make it raise higher but it still didn't regester full.  I took apart the unit to check the copper strip inside but didn't help much either.  Seems like the arm has to be in the upper range of the swing on mine to start reading gas and not enough to bend to get it there floating wise.  I'm fed up with wasting time on it  :brickwall: and going to order another one but this time locally so I can at least return it and get some money back if it don't work. The one I got is a loss of $60. Only brand I can run across anyone selling is Spectra.  I'm glad you at least got your's fixed  :cheers:
Here's the deal.  My gauge worked perfect before the tank swap.  My gauge worked perfect in my hand with a ground wire on the base of it and the gauge wire connected, so why won't it read full in the tank was my issue?  I was frustrated putting it in and out.  Finally I sat there on my garage floor with the thing in my hand just staring at it.  I knew if the float "could " float up it would read full.  What is stopping it? It has to be hitting the top of the tank.  So I bent the rod a little in a downward angle to lower the float height, meaning the float will still make a full swing but it will now clear the tank top height instead of hitting it.  Kinda like it shortened the swing travel length, but still allowed it to go from empty to full but in a shorter path.  Do no give up!  Do not let the car beat you.  You are human, it is metal, you must win.  :patriot:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Highbanked Hauler

Things don't change NOW my 69 is giving me fits and I wanted to pull this thread out of the vault,  With an empty tank I am at the gauge goes to full instantly so the hunt is on. More to follow.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser