News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sound Deadener Poll - OPINIONS???

Started by bill440rt, June 07, 2009, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What works best?

Dynamat
13 (44.8%)
Fatmat
3 (10.3%)
eDead
4 (13.8%)
RaamMat
2 (6.9%)
Am I missing something?
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

b5blue

Bill, photos please! (As you do the install)  :2thumbs: How much does that stuff weigh?

bill440rt

Quote from: b5blue on July 08, 2009, 01:30:51 PM
Bill, photos please! (As you do the install)  :2thumbs: How much does that stuff weigh?

Photos will be on the way, Neal!  :2thumbs:
So far, I have the package tray, rear floor/seating area, insides of the FRONT halves of the 1/4's, and insides of the doors done. I've gone thru over a 1/3rd of the stuff already, nearly half. I still have the front floors to do. I'm not doing the roof or firewall behind the dash, as the headliner & dash already in and I used the factory sound deadener & insulation in these areas. The stuff is pretty heavy, I'd say the box of 100ft of the stuff weighed in at over 30lbs.

I should have enough, & I might put a strip or two under where the trunk mat would be, but not cover the whole trunk floor. It's probably not necessary to cover every square inch to get effective sound deadening out of the stuff. One thing I did notice, is that when you knocked on the doors before they sounded like metal. Now, they sound like there's 10 inches of body filler in them! I suppose that's good AND bad. At least the product is doing it's job.
I'm leaving the front floors alone for now until after the engine & trans is in. I may have to dimple the floor a little bit more to clear the trans, and it would be easier to do without the sound deadener on the other side.
Stay tuned for pics!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Here are some photos of the eDead installed in the rear of Project '69. I stopped on the inner wheelhouses where the rear seat divider goes, that way you don't see any when the trunk is opened. Same with the inner quarters. I just did the front half, where the rear interior is.
You can see inside the front door, etc. Really was simple to install, I still have enough left over to do the front floors.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hey that looks familiar!  Except I dont see a Dukes horn anywhere :scope:

:D
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

wow, i must sya that whatever you use, install something!i just layed some cheap carpet i had here and i used an old roll of sound deadner i got from pepboys years ago. nothing special, just a 4x6 sheet of insulation. it made a HUGE difference inside the car. and i only had enough to do the from about half way up the firewall to the rear of the front seats. i cant imagine the difference if i get more and do the whole car.

b5blue

Man Bill that looks good! That stuff forms well, how thick is it? (Me Like!)  :2thumbs: I like how you got it inside doors and 1/4 window area!

elanmars

Ok guys, what's better, 45 or 80 mils? I ask because I don't know if 80 is just "too much" and 45 is "just enough" or "too thin" and it's better to go with 80mil or what.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

pandamarie

I just bought a 100' roll of Fatmat 80mil for my wife's vette and her 61 metropolitan to cut down the noise and keep some of the heat out.
Also got a set of 4 into one side pipes for the vette to keep out the heat from under the floor, this thing is like driving in an oven. If it works good im going to use it in my Daytona clone while its all apart.

bill440rt

Quote from: b5blue on July 19, 2009, 02:59:12 PM
Man Bill that looks good! That stuff forms well, how thick is it? (Me Like!)  :2thumbs: I like how you got it inside doors and 1/4 window area!

Hey Neal, thanks!
Yes, it forms pretty well. You still have to make relief cuts here & there, and press it into the little crevices and stuff. If there are air pockets, the less sound deadening effect it will have.
This stuff is 80mils (eDead 80). I'd say it's more than 1/16", but less than 1/8", so I guess that's around 3/32"?  :smilielol:
For inside the doors & 1/4's, I just cut it into smaller strips to fit it inside the openings. Doors close with a "thunk" and feel like they have 2ft of bondo in them.  :rofl:

Quote from: elanmars on August 12, 2009, 03:26:38 PM
Ok guys, what's better, 45 or 80 mils? I ask because I don't know if 80 is just "too much" and 45 is "just enough" or "too thin" and it's better to go with 80mil or what.

I got the eDead 80 because it was basically the same price as the 45. It provides more sound deadening effect. A lot of times people buy the thinner stuff because they don't want or can't spend the $$$ on the thicker stuff.
If you have a question as to which product should be used where in a vehicle, just call them. That's what I did. They were very helpful and informative on the phone.

b5blue

Thanks for the info Bill! I've been trying to figure out the best way to do the inside of the roof area for this crazy Florida sun...it gets HOT up there!  :eek2:

bill440rt

Not sure how well this stuff will protect from heat from the sun. They sell other types of sound deadener, you might want to check with them on that.
I just used the REM repro roof insulation, kind of a lightweight jute padding. Then again, I'm in NJ!  :smilielol:

Belgium R/T -68

I also used the "original" kind of headlinerinsulation, can't imagine it has any effect though. :scratchchin:
For my floor I will use something that looks like yours bill but have to check what type/brand. Ron recomended it.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

b5blue

Yea I guess I'm thinking Thermal not Acoustic insulation up there!