News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing clone wondering?

Started by Ghoste, June 08, 2009, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Is it just me or do more people go for Daytona clones than Superbirds?  Maybe it's because this is a Charger site or maybe it's because I prefer the looks of the Dodge over the Plymouth but it seems to me like there are a lot more folks driving or creating Daytona clones than 'birds.  Which is puzzling becuase it also seems to me like it's a lot more work to convert a Charger.
Anyone else notice it this way?

69bronzeT5

I agree. I think there are more Daytonas than Superbirds when it comes to clones :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

BPTRacing

Maybe its easier to find reasonably priced Charger bodies to start with.  :shruggy:
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

daytonalo

OR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THE DAYTONA HAS WAY BETTER LINES AND NO GRANDPA VINYL TOP !!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

To me it's a matter of several things. The lack of donor cars for a bird clone as mentioned and the fact that it's a little more difficult as well as more expensive to build a decent looking bird clone. The hood is difficult and expensive to convert and you don't have the option of using a cheap vega plug to convert the back glass. Not to mention that for some reason there aren't many Coronet front ends out there to buy. There just seems to be more 70 Charger front ends than Coronet front ends.
I'm building one of each and I can already tell you that the Daytona clone is going to be the easier and cheaper to build than the bird clone.
I've grown to like the vinyl top more as time goes on. We've definitely decided to convert the back glass and add the vt on the bird clone.

I have extra Coronet fenders and a Coronet R/T hood that I would sell if anyone's interested. I also have a f/g nose, latch tray, fender extensions and fender scoops for a bird clone. Package deal.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

I hadn't thought about the front end mods, there would be a lot of work there upon further thought.  I was just thinking about the rear window and the fact that you could do the bird without altering the rear glass area and 90% of the people out there would never know that it was unchanged from a regular Plymouth.

moparstuart

how about that fact they made 4 times the number of birds . They are out there and cheaper to pick up the real thing then a daytona .   I love both cars but personally the 70 plymouth body is the best they ever designed .   :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

I did think about the build totals but as far as Superbirds being cheaper it's all relative.  They are both out of my price range.

Ssssssh, if the Plymouth is really the better looking one you should keep it quiet around here.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on June 09, 2009, 12:55:31 PM
I did think about the build totals but as far as Superbirds being cheaper it's all relative.  They are both out of my price range.

Ssssssh, if the Plymouth is really the better looking one you should keep it quiet around here.
I have strong opinions and broad shoulders so i can take the heat .
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D   Just have alway loved  70 runners and gtx's the best , Air grabber hoods are hands down the coolest option ever also . 

BB1

Well thanks Larry, I was wondering which would be cheaper to build.

Daytona for me I guess.  :yesnod:
Delete my profile

hotrod98

Air grabbers are okay, but I'm a shaker hood sort of guy myself. I love looking out over the hood of my 71 Cuda and seeing that motor jump as I hit the gas. Instant gratification.
As for b-bodies, I think that my favorite hood is the 70 Superbee hood. I have one that I've been saving to convert to a Superbird hood, but can't make up my mind whether to go with the stock look or the modified look.

Charles Addams

BPTRacing

No scoop here - just figure on cutting a hole in the $500 hood to let the injector hat and turbo pipes show a little.

hotrod98

What's going to be sitting directly below that injector?  ;D

Charles Addams

oldcarnut

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 09, 2009, 04:01:37 PM
Air grabbers are okay, but I'm a shaker hood sort of guy myself. I love looking out over the hood of my 71 Cuda and seeing that motor jump as I hit the gas. Instant gratification.
As for b-bodies, I think that my favorite hood is the 70 Superbee hood. I have one that I've been saving to convert to a Superbird hood, but can't make up my mind whether to go with the stock look or the modified look.
Hmmmm, well after seeing 6 pac , R/T,and Superbee hoods on Superbirds, wonder what a Superbird Shaker hood would look like?  :shruggy:  Haven't seen anybody do that one yet.

A383Wing

I got a pic of a pop-up airgrabber hood on a 'Bird...I'm sure you have seen it

BPTRacing

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 09, 2009, 09:08:06 PM
What's going to be sitting directly below that injector?  ;D

oldcarnut

Some hood pics I've saved from members rides and others.

oldcarnut

Few more

A383Wing

The green 440+6 is the hood I saw on a black 'Bird when we were at Talladega in '99

oldcarnut

Both the green ones pictured are moparstuart's.   I think it was a before and after.   I like it  :yesnod:

moparstuart

:drool5:  i like this view of my hood

moparstuart

:drool5:

moparstuart

:popcrn:

moparstuart

:popcrn:

moparstuart

here is tom's black ice car that has an air grabber also

my buddy milt wood also has an air grabber on it multi -colored grey bird 

moparstuart

another

hotrod98

Haven't seen the blue bird before. Do you know the owner?

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 10, 2009, 10:12:00 AM
Haven't seen the blue bird before. Do you know the owner?
guy from the atlanta area , met him two years ago in north carolina , he had not finished his clone yet but wanted to take it to a national meet .
  No interior , drive train or glass , but it was looking really good .

moparstuart

waynes bird had a coronet hood scoop before restoration started

picture of the hood here .       http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57850.msg644669.html#msg644669

mauve66

plus you can make a SB from a road runner OR satellite (theres got to alot more of them than chargers) and you can only make a tona from a charger
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

That was also something that made me wonder why there were fewer Bird clones, although after the point was made about the front end modifications I can now see where with the Charger you only have to find one car but for the Superbird you technically have to find three (or at least parts thereof).

hotrod98

Quote from: mauve66 on June 10, 2009, 08:37:27 PM
plus you can make a SB from a road runner OR satellite (theres got to alot more of them than chargers) and you can only make a tona from a charger

Have you tried to find a 70 Satellite lately? They're bringing roadrunner prices nowadays when you do find one. I've almost sold mine a couple of times. Glad I didn't.

Charles Addams