News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering column removal

Started by 11thsfgrp, June 14, 2009, 08:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11thsfgrp

How difficult is it to remove the steering column from a 73 charger, column shift... what problems might face... 1st time trying this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :shruggy:

rocky61201

I'm in the middle of a resto/mod on a 71 with column shift.  It wasn't too hard at all, but I was completely gutting the interior and engine bay.  Got the dash off first which probably made it a lot easier.  Once you get all of the visible bolts undone, the last thing is the pin in the rectangle looking coupler/joint where it connects to the steering box.  If yours is gunked up like mine was (couldn't even see it) clean it up with some degreaser and it should be easy to spot.  Use a punch and knock it out and your home free.

Don't know your intentions here.  Mine was to clean up, repaint a different color, and rebuild my column.  If yours is the same, take plenty of pics and bag/lable all of your bolts/screws appropriately.  Lots of tiny screws internally so be prepared.  I can't stress the importance of taking your own pics.  The old diagrams work but not good for the small stuff inside. 

If you need some diagrams let me know.  There is also a link to them on this forum.

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=chassis&thread=4569&page=1#31359
71 2dr Hardtop, 383/727, just purchased, resto/mod in progress

rocky61201

Just thought I'd give an update since I put mine back together today.  Took about five hours even with all the diagrams and individual labled screws.  Fell for the allen screw behind the column shifter, the 4 screws go on before the ignition switch, and countless other "do this before this" stuff.

Remember the order that you take this apart, because chaging the order on reasembly wont work. 

I'd rather get a root canal than do this again.  Scratched the hell out of all the fresh paint I laid down too.   :brickwall:
71 2dr Hardtop, 383/727, just purchased, resto/mod in progress

11thsfgrp

Thanks for the info...Will probably start after the 4th.... :2thumbs: