News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior Vinyl Spray

Started by 1970Moparmann, June 17, 2009, 02:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

My mind is getting really bad...   I just read about a new vinyl spray for interiors that is very good.  Since I can't remember anything now-a-days, want to put the post out here. Anyone have any good results with a particular spray?   I've used Rustoleum before, but wasn't a big fan.

Thanks for the help! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

68 RT

I have used all diffrent brands of vinyl spray and have never had a problem. The big thing is prep. The pieces must be clean and dry. I usally use dish soap and water. The wipe off a few times with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Be careful as these can ruin plastic and vinyl.

Long Island RT

I had good results with the SEM products.  Clean and prepped is the best advice.

Also - less humidity when sprayed - the glossier the look.

I did my glove box door on a humid day - in my garage, and the key/ash tray pad outside on a 70° sunny day, and I thought it was two diff. paints!
I just reapplied on the g-box door and was good to go.  I also used Black - so that could show more of a difference.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Long Island RT on June 17, 2009, 02:57:48 PM
I had good results with the SEM products.  Clean and prepped is the best advice.

Also - less humidity when sprayed - the glossier the look.

I did my glove box door on a humid day - in my garage, and the key/ash tray pad outside on a 70° sunny day, and I thought it was two diff. paints!
I just reapplied on the g-box door and was good to go.  I also used Black - so that could show more of a difference.

This is probably the problem I had- humidity.  Thanks for the feedback! :2thumbs:

FLG

I did my back seats...prepped painted...came out looking GREAT! But the springs are worn and when someone sits it just stretches the cushions too much and the paint starts to flake. Cant help it, i think if the springs were good it would hold up alot better. I cant complain though, i wanted them black (were white) they look great just need touch ups down and then. Ill post up some pics when i get off of work.

bull

I wouldn't screw around with anything but SEM at this point. Maybe someday they'll make something better but I'm not sure how.

Mike DC

Another vote for SEM.

I think SEM's vinyl paint is basically a lacquer spray. 

The other body-shop-paint brands, the "real" paint companies, all make their vinyl paints out of enamels as far as I know.  I think this is the big difference in how well they work.  The SEM stuff just goes on thinner and sticks/lasts better.  It's not a substitute for a real molded-in-color surface, but it's probably as good as anything from a respray method is ever gonna get.   

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 18, 2009, 02:30:11 PM

Another vote for SEM.

I think SEM's vinyl paint is basically a lacquer spray. 

The other body-shop-paint brands, the "real" paint companies, all make their vinyl paints out of enamels as far as I know.  I think this is the big difference in how well they work.  The SEM stuff just goes on thinner and sticks/lasts better.  It's not a substitute for a real molded-in-color surface, but it's probably as good as anything from a respray method is ever gonna get.   

Well, just did the sun visors and it turned out great!  Multiple light coats did a great job...  Thanks for the help.

1968_Charger

i just redid the entire interior in black duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray. cant tell it wasnt originally that color. im very impressed with the results. applied several coats and it doesnt seem to rub off. only thing that takes it off is scratching it.

1BAD68

I used Duplicolor also and it worked great
:2thumbs:

b5blue

Just used some VHT and it worked well on my car so I re did my shoes too!