News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vanishing Point 68 Charger

Started by CornDogsCharger, June 22, 2009, 07:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

I just happen to catch the 1997 version of Vanishing Point.  I have the dvd but never watched it until now when I just happened to catch it on tv.  Pretty good so far... better than the original by far :)  Anyways, I was wondering... does anyone happen to know what ever happened to the Charger(s) that were used?  I know that Stephens Performance supplied all of the Challengers for the movie... and still has them.  Did Stephens supply the other mopars in the movie?  I'd love to see some pictures of what was left of the Charger.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

1969chargerrtse

I saw the original movie back in 68 and I find it hard to believe any movie made after it would be better.  That was raw Mopar back then.  I can still remember the first time that black 68 charger came around the corner.  That was as cool as cool can be.  :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 22, 2009, 08:35:53 PM
I saw the original movie back in 68 and I find it hard to believe any movie made after it would be better.  That was raw Mopar back then.  I can still remember the first time that black 68 charger came around the corner.  That was as cool as cool can be.  :coolgleamA:

The original movie came out in 1971 if I'm correct. Kind of hard to make a movie with '70 Challengers in '68...they didn't exist! :nana:

PS: I love Iron Maiden. I just had to say since this is my 8,666th post :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

C_stripes

Cody is correct. The orig VP was made in 1970 and came out in 1971. If you look closely, several of the police cars have manufacturer plates on them. They were all leased to the production company as Chrysler WAS going to sponsor the production, but after they seen it. They pulled out as there was drug use and nudity. Chrysler was a "family" company and wouldn't promote that. Even though the Dodge Swinger was met to appeal to lesbians back in the day. Kind of ironic. Also, a side note. None of the orig VP cars are known to exist. They are thought to have been destroyed by Chrysler Corp. after they were done filming.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

CornDogsCharger

I think you're thinking of Bullitt.  I'm talking about the 1997 version of the movie Vanishing Point.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

hemi-hampton

Everybody I know thinks the newer Version sucked compared to the original, Just like gone in 60 seconds redo sucked compared to original.  LEON. :Twocents:

P.S. I remember seeing this movie at Drive in way back in 71 or so

jasonfromIKILLYA

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on June 22, 2009, 09:24:30 PM

I think you're thinking of Bullitt.  I'm talking about the 1997 version of the movie Vanishing Point.

Justin
"CornDog"

He may be, but the 97 version of VP is a Challenger as well.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

ozziemoparnut

You cannot beat the original films but the 97 VP and cage/jolie Gone in 60 seem to appeal to a bigger audience than the originals do now days  :Twocents:

one thing that I didn't like about the 97 VP was Jason Priestley playing the voice  :brickwall:

mikesbbody

Quote from: ozziemoparnut on June 22, 2009, 10:37:24 PM
You cannot beat the original films but the 97 VP and cage/jolie Gone in 60 seem to appeal to a bigger audience than the originals do now days  :Twocents:

one thing that I didn't like about the 97 VP was Jason Priestley playing the voice  :brickwall:

I agree! that was pretty lame :yesnod:

Brock Samson

Quote from: C_stripes on June 22, 2009, 09:05:41 PM
Cody is correct. The orig VP was made in 1970 and came out in 1971. If you look closely, several of the police cars have manufacturer plates on them. They were all leased to the production company as Chrysler WAS going to sponsor the production, but after they seen it. They pulled out as there was drug use and nudity. Chrysler was a "family" company and wouldn't promote that. Even though the Dodge Swinger was met to appeal to lesbians back in the day. Kind of ironic. Also, a side note. None of the orig VP cars are known to exist. They are thought to have been destroyed by Chrysler Corp. after they were done filming.

WHAT!?   :o

Ghoste

That's what I was thinking too Brock.  Where did you get that tidbit from Jeremy?

Oh and as for the new VP versus the old one, the new one has too many bloopers in addition to a serious lack of nudity and drugs.

Brock Samson

:shruggy: Ya' cause I'm a lesbian and it don't appeal to me none...  :scratchchin: I'm more of a Demon Lover myself..

C_stripes

If you can find it, the 1969 Dart Swinger concept car ad has two girls gazing into eachothers eyes and says something like "Dart Swings". I will see if I can dig up a pic.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 22, 2009, 08:36:59 PM

The original movie came out in 1971 if I'm correct. Kind of hard to make a movie with '70 Challengers in '68...they didn't exist! :nana:

PS: I love Iron Maiden. I just had to say since this is my 8,666th post :D
Hey that was a long time ago. I'm off a couple years.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: C_stripes on June 22, 2009, 11:37:10 PM
If you can find it, the 1969 Dart Swinger concept car ad has two girls gazing into eachothers eyes and says something like "Dart Swings". I will see if I can dig up a pic.
You gotta be kidding?

dodgecharger-fan

this guy look like a lesbian? :D

Brock, that's not you, is it?

tan top

dang !!!  :drool5:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CornDogsCharger

So....... does anyone know??  I don't know how it got way off topic.  Just to clear things up... no, I'm not talking about the 1971 version of Vanishing Point... I'm asking about the Black 1968 CHARGER that was used in the 1997 Version of Vanishing Point.  I know Stephens Performance supplied the Challengers for the movie, but does anyone know if Stephens supplied the Charger too?  I'm also asking if the flipped Charger or the nicer car are still around.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Mike DC

As for the 1997 VP remake's charger  -

If I recall correctly, they used two 1968 Chargers for that deal.  They obviously rolled one of them to death.  The other one (most of the screen time) was more raggedy than it looked on film but it survived in one piece.  The owner (Stephens I guess) gave it a bunch of resto work afterwards.  I can't remember for sure but I think it might have been an original R/T.  

----------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO we haven't seen a perfect version of "Vanishing Point" yet.  

The original one is kind of dated.  It left the concept a bit too uncompromised for anyone to sit through the movie without being as high as Kowalski was.  I thought the 1997 remake overcorrected on that problem and I didn't like enough of the changes.

Ghoste

Sorry man, I have an awful tough time making the leap that an ad with two chicks looking at each other means the car was being targeted to lesbians.   "Swinger" had a somewhat different connotation in 1969 than it does today.

As for the Charger in VP Revisited, yes it's still out there but I can't recall where.  There was an article about it someplace.  Have you tried e-mailing Stephens?

THE CHARGER PUNK

C_stripes

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 23, 2009, 05:42:15 AM
You gotta be kidding?

Hey, I read it in MCG a few years ago. lol

Ghoste

It's my favorite Mopar mag but at least half of every episode (sic) is just stuff they make up.  They are like the National Enquirer of car mags.

C_stripes

It's true. They seem to change allot of things. I thought it was pretty funny though. It may have a little truth to it though. What does Swinger mean?  :Twocents:

Brock Samson

the common definition now is people who swap sex partners or have "open" relationships...
but back in the mid-sixties it was a youthful person who wasn't quite a hippy but like to dance at discos which were quite new then, i know cause i was there...  :-\

swing·er (swngr)
n.
1. One that swings: a good swinger of baseball bats.
2. Slang
a. A person who actively seeks excitement and moves with the latest trends.
b. A person who engages freely in promiscuous sex.
c. A member of a couple, especially a married couple, who exchanges sexual partners.

I suspect "A" was the prefered def.

interesting the VP '68 RT Charger was the rare blue,...

440Magnum Rules !  This '68 Charger was purchased at a swap meet in Glendale, AZ.  I fiddled with it for about a year before it ran good. After about five years of fun I decided to put it up for sale, and build something else.  While advertising the car for sale, I got a phone call from "Vanishing Point Productions".  The movie company showed up the next day, and this car became Charger One in the FOX Television movie which aired in 1997.  It was not crashed for the movie.  I was fortunate enough to visit the filming set in Tucson, to watch them beat my old car. 
Jeff Dines