News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 combo, any type of guess on power?? Finally Kinda finished!!!! pics

Started by 440charger68, June 28, 2009, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Rodder

As you might already know, the single plane intakes are good for motors that are going to be turning higher rpm's, great on race motors. Dual plane intakes are good for idle, or off idle, motors and up to a mid to higher rpm range, nice street intakes.... There's nothing wrong with an M1 intake as far as I can tell. As it's been suggested, since you are pretty much going to be on the street with an automatic tranny, it is suggested to try and hunt down a nice priced dual plane intake b/c it helps out in the department of lower end torque (off the line power).

On my '72 it came with a low deck big block (these usually love higher rpm's), I was told that it was a 383, when they got the car that's what was in it (not original either way though), when I pulled it, well, it ended up turning out to be a 361, joy.... I don't have that anymore, got rid of it for good reason. Anyway, it had an Edelbrock TM6 single plane intake on it, this I kept more for looks. The intake that I'm going to be running on the 505 that I'm in the process of building will have an Indy cylinder head dual plane intake. This is supposedly the largest dual plane intake that you can currently get for big block Mopars... I'm not suggesting this intake for you esp at the price.... You do not even want to know, just trust me on this.

As for your choices, if you want to keep your intake, that's fine, it's your car, build it the way you want. As for making suggestions, I would say look into an Edelbrock Performer RPM...
RPM regular: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7176/
RPM Air Gap regular: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7576/
RPM Air Gap polished: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-75764/
There are more to check out here, as reference, http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/DODGE/Engine-Size/5-2L-318/?keyword=Edelbrock%20Performer%20RPM%20intake

Now these prices are higher than you paid for yours, but if you look around, you can find one of these used in great shape for cheaper. Also, if you did decide to go ahead and go this route, you could always resale the intake you bought, or hang on to it for another motor down the road....

Hope this helps some...

Also you can check this link also, lists all the intakes that Summit carries.... http://www.summitracing.com/search/make/DODGE/engine-size/5-2L-318/engine-family/Mopar-small-block-LA/Department/Air-Fuel-Delivery/Section/Intake-Manifolds/?Ns=Price|Asc

firefighter3931

Quote from: 440charger68 on July 02, 2009, 11:21:44 AM
im not getteing the summit cam anymore i heard a few bad things too :rotz: this is now the set up i have written down
-650cfm edelbrock carb
-Mopar performance single plane intake manifold (its a air gap) i already have this    manifold
-2.5in complete exhaust system dual
-231/237 deg, .525-inch lift comp cam
-casting number 302 heads with 59cc cumbustion chamber (boost up compression)
-And finish it off with some hooker competion headers
What do you think?? :scratchchin:

I would make a few changes ;

The M1 single plane is all wrong and you won't like it. That manifold is better suited to a race 340-360 or a street/strip smallblock stroker with 400+ ci displacement. You need a dual plane because the car is heavy and you don't have a lot of cubes. Torque and as much of it that you can make is the right way to go.

Here's an intake/carb combo that should work real nice for you :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0171/

The 302 heads are excellent and will bump the compression up. Just do a good valvejob and use the appropriate valvesprings to match your cam and leave them alone. Hogging them out will reduce velocity and hurt throttle response and low end power.

That cam is a little on the large size for a mostly stock 318. I would use something more conservative like the Lunati 220* VooDoo grind. It will make better power down low where you need it yet still pull well up top. It's easy to overcam a small engine so be careful. This cam will work fine with the stock torque converter as well :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60402LK/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SeattleCharger

40charger68,     that carb/intake deal is a great deal for a holley carb AND a weiand dual plane intake,

If I was you, I would follow what firefighter says exactly, I don't know that much, but from my time on this site I will say that he has to be a rocket scientist of mopar building or something, no kidding,   :Twocents:
Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Sublime69

I'm not sure where you're thinking of getting that much of a compression bump on a 318 by using the 302 heads. The stock compression with the closed chamber 318 heads is about 9:1, unless that's what your shooting for.

You could always swap to the Magnum heads if your looking for an easy power adder. They're easy to find too.
http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,295.0.html

As far as the rocker arm debate goes, I'd make the switch. The stamped stuff can be hardly called dead-nuts 1.5 ratio...more like 1.4 or thereabouts really. You do have the chance of punching through the rocker, especially on a used set. I've done this myself as well, impaling rocker arms. Finally, depending on how the cam was ground, the extra lift may be coming from a smaller base circle - that means the lobe height itself stays the same, but the opposite side of the lobe gets ground down, effectively, causing the lifter to travel further up as it rides up the lobe from that base circle area. Anyways, if the base circle is small you may not be able to use the stock pushrods and stock rocker arms, either one will have to be replaced. The proper pushrod length is probably the more critical thing here though. So if you get the right pushrods you may be able to re-use the rocker arms.

With due respect though, I have to point-blank disagree with some of the other guys on the non-adjustable rockers here...adjustable rocker setups are NOT solid cam only these days, way back, yes, not now. Heck, put a nice anti-pump up lifter on a hydraulic cam, set lifter pre-load to 0" and you've got yourself a nice 500 RPM for free.

The thing I like about the stock rocker set-up though is just bolt on and go, which doesn't sound like your doing here.  :Twocents:
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

SeattleCharger

ok, didn't mean to discount other's knowledge when I said my opinion of firefighter being an expert, lots of knowledgeable people here, that's why this site is so great    :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 05, 2009, 12:13:10 AM
I'm not sure where you're thinking of getting that much of a compression bump on a 318 by using the 302 heads. The stock compression with the closed chamber 318 heads is about 9:1, unless that's what your shooting for.

You could always swap to the Magnum heads if your looking for an easy power adder. They're easy to find too.
http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,295.0.html

The 302's are approx 10cc smaller than the heads that would have originally come on that engine and also employ a modern high swirl closed combustion chamber. This is a no-brainer upgrade, inmo.

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 05, 2009, 12:13:10 AM

As far as the rocker arm debate goes, I'd make the switch. The stamped stuff can be hardly called dead-nuts 1.5 ratio...more like 1.4 or thereabouts really. You do have the chance of punching through the rocker, especially on a used set. I've done this myself as well, impaling rocker arms. Finally, depending on how the cam was ground, the extra lift may be coming from a smaller base circle - that means the lobe height itself stays the same, but the opposite side of the lobe gets ground down, effectively, causing the lifter to travel further up as it rides up the lobe from that base circle area. Anyways, if the base circle is small you may not be able to use the stock pushrods and stock rocker arms, either one will have to be replaced. The proper pushrod length is probably the more critical thing here though. So if you get the right pushrods you may be able to re-use the rocker arms.

With due respect though, I have to point-blank disagree with some of the other guys on the non-adjustable rockers here...adjustable rocker setups are NOT solid cam only these days, way back, yes, not now. Heck, put a nice anti-pump up lifter on a hydraulic cam, set lifter pre-load to 0" and you've got yourself a nice 500 RPM for free.

The thing I like about the stock rocker set-up though is just bolt on and go, which doesn't sound like your doing here.  :Twocents:

Points taken on the rocker arms but i'll add this : we're talking about a very mild cam profile here with modest spring pressures and less than .500 lift at the valve. The reduced base circle is a non-issue on a cam of this size and the stock rockers are more than adequate. On a build like this i doubt you would see more than a few horsepower difference going to a higher ratio. Not really worth the added expense inmho.

Engle also uses a fast rate of lift lobe design and many are running the stock valvetrain with zero issues. Sure the rocker ratio is less than desirable but in the context of a mild street machine the stock stuff is in most cases more than adequate. I've known of one guy who ran a .540 lift hydraulic stick in his 360 and raced the car for years....using all the stock valvetrain components and with zero failures.....hundreds if not thousands of passes. Is it perfect....No, but it gets the job done and his engine makes enough power to run mid 11's in a Duster.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

440charger68

Wow :2thumbs: im vary happy with this forum  ;D alot of great tips and suggestions so here is my new set up let me know what u think....
-Edelbrock 650cfm carb
-Edelbrock air gap intake manifold
-Lunati 262/268, Lift .475/.494
-Hooker Competition Headers
-Summit dual 2.5in exhaust system
-302 heads with a good port and polish job
-and maybe some heavier duty valve springs
What do you guys think?? improvement yes ;)
life's a garden, dig it.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: 440charger68 on July 05, 2009, 12:59:02 PM
Wow :2thumbs: im vary happy with this forum  ;D alot of great tips and suggestions so here is my new set up let me know what u think....
-Edelbrock 650cfm carb

I would be curious what is the best price you can find on the two items above, Eddy carb/intake, compared to the link Ron put on here of the holley carb and weiand intake:

Foreman72

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on July 05, 2009, 02:40:03 PM
Quote from: 440charger68 on July 05, 2009, 12:59:02 PM
-Edelbrock 650cfm carb

I would be curious what is the best price you can find on the two items above, Eddy carb/intake, compared to the link Ron put on here of the holley carb and weiand intake:

sounds awesome...air gap is the best...

might i suggest the following carb  :Twocents:

http://www.holley.com/0-80670.asp
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

440charger68

life's a garden, dig it.