News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/T console shifter

Started by twodko, June 30, 2009, 01:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I need to pull the console out of my 69' for new carpet. Does the shifter knob unscrew from the top of the shaft? Thanks

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68 RT

An allen set screw holds it on.

twodko

dodgecharger-fan

Then the knob can be unscrewed from the cable inside.

If you find that you are unscrewing the knob forever but it's still not coming off of the shifter, then what is happening is you are unscrewing the whole cable from the mechanism at the bottom of the shaft instead of just the knob from the top of the cable.

If you can get the whole shifter mechanism out, there's a fix that I figured out years ago when I was taking my 69 apart. I'll post it here in case you need it or for anyone else that might run in to the same problem.

There's a detent mechanism at the bottom of the shifter. The goal is to get this piece removed from the cable in order to facilitate the removal of the shifter knob.

This gives you a better idea of what you're looking for.

This is what the cable looks like - but this picture shows what it looks like at the top end. The bottom end is the same. This picture is just to give you an idea of what you're trying to do.

First thing to do is unscrew the cable from the detent mechanism by turning the shifter knob - the thing we're trying to avoid. Then, remove the spring at the bottom. This will let the detent mechanism slide down in the shaft.

Now, we can see the threads inside the detent mechanism and the cable is still stuck to the shifter knob..
Drop some thread locker in there and screw the cable back in. This will hold the cable in the detent mechanism so that when you start to unscrew the shifter knob, it will unscrew from the top of the cable instead of unscrewing the cable from the detent mechanism.

Sorry for the typos in the pictures.

twodko

That photo instruction was very helpful. Pictures often clarify that which words can't. I appreciate the time you've taken to upload those shots! Thanks! Maybe I'll get lucky and the knob will come off without a hitch.

Tom

mimaspa

im about to do this with my 68. sounds a little complex. i hope it just screws off the top.  ::)

AKcharger

How to get the shifter knob off was my very 1st DC.com post in 2003!!!