News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going full-field

Started by 1968Dodge, July 01, 2009, 11:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968Dodge

Hey guys, I thought I'd run this by everyone and get some ideas.

Last year I put a new mechanical voltage regulator and rebuilt alternator in my charger after having charging problems. Right after I started the car the voltage regulator stuck and I had full voltage to the dash. I then bought an electronic voltage limiter from year one, it fixed my sweeping ammeter gauge and the car charged just right.

Last night I took it for a ride and it went full field again, I thought maybe it was charging the battery from sitting, but after driving around for awhile with nearly +40 on the dash, something is wrong. Bad voltage regulator? If so, any ideas on why I am going through voltage regulators so quickly? The car has a mopar performance electronic ignition but is otherwise stock as far as the electrical system is concerned. 
'68 Charger R/T. Mild 440, 3.54 Dana.

bull

It's got me thinking that you may have gotten a bad rebuilt alt. and it's smoking your regulators. Not sure though so maybe some others will chime in.