News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I make it NOT so HOT when I drive the Charger???

Started by DarkAngel0816, July 29, 2005, 10:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel0816

When I drive the Charger (1970) I have first of all hot heat hitting me from the vents and it ends up getting real hot driving it.   Am I missing something in the dash that first will stop the hot air frolm blowing on me?   And is there a heat shield or something that coud be missing that is causing it to get hot driving it?   I swear it feels like I own a sauna on wheels at times.

:icon_smile_dead:

Oh...I do not think I am making much sense tonight.   lol   I am tired.
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

KMPX2

Is the blower motor running? Does it change if you play with the heater controls.

DarkAngel0816

I do not think the blower is even working, but I will double check that.

KMPX2

Is it blowing with the car standing still in the driveway?

G Force

I have the same problem with my charger.. I feel like I am in a Nascar. I put a plug in one of the heater hoses to block the flow and its still hot in the car  :flame: Has anyone had success insulating the fire wall without taking out the dash? What else can be done??

Mefirst

You are not the only ones having this problem.. One or several of the previous owners of my ride did a good job of destroying the A/C and Heater system. The only solution I can think off is to put a valve on the rubber hose, through wich hot water flows from the water pump into the heater..

/Tom

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

8WHEELER

That is kind of common actualy, there is a guy around here that has been living with the blower on every summer for 5yrs, I can't believe he can't fix it but oh well its his car and he tried to fix it but had no luck. The only good it can do at all is help the engine run cooler in the hot weather  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

NHCharger

On my 72 Charger I have 2 levers you pull which allow air to come in through the fresh air vents (not sure if 2nd gens. are the same). This air comes in through the vents in the cowl which are located in front of the windshield. If the seal on the back of the hood is missing or damaged it would allow hot air from the engine compartment to be sucked into the air ducts.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ghoste

Dark Angel, is it the floor vents you mean or the defrost vents on top of the dash?  In either case, there may also be an issue with the cables not be hooked up and allowing you to close off the doors.

KMPX2

Headrope

Quote from: NHCharger on July 30, 2005, 06:31:28 AM
On my 72 Charger I have 2 levers you pull which allow air to come in through the fresh air vents (not sure if 2nd gens. are the same). This air comes in through the vents in the cowl which are located in front of the windshield. If the seal on the back of the hood is missing or damaged it would allow hot air from the engine compartment to be sucked into the air ducts.

I second that. Replacing the seal on the back of the hood helped cool things down for me in my '66 and in a 67 Dart GT I used to own.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Charger72SE

where is the seal on the back of the hood located?  I have a seal that runs in front along the radiator mounting bracket and was going to take it off to let cooler air hit the engine.

NHCharger

Actually the seal is located on the front side of the cowl and the hood closes down onto it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

DarkAngel0816

Ugh.  I had a lot post and hit the wrong button and deleted it.

I will try tomorrow with the car sitting in the driveway to see if the air is still blowing.  The hot air is coming from the vents in the dash and by the legs too...it is hot all around.  I ended up going out of town today and had a crazy day yesterday so I did not get to play with it much.  Will do the suggestions tomorrow and let you all know what I find.

Thanks!!!  At least it is not just me!!  I can tell you there could be something in the dash missing as none of the gauges work and the radio is out...as well as not a compartment in the glove box. 

AKcharger

If heat is seeping (not blowing like from a motor) from the floor area I'd suspect the diverter door seal is worn or the door it self is out of rig, allowing heated air to travel through the duct. not really too hard a fix

If it's blowing with force the motor is "on", might be a switch problem

If it's coming out the dash vents (old A/C car?)....that's wacked! ???

Good luck Ma'am!

AK

Ghoste

I think she means the defrost vents up top.  I think the temp control door is stuck in the hot position myself but it could be any number of things. 
You know of course once you fix it, the first time you try to drive on a cold day, you'll get the opposite problem.

andy74

on my 72 the a/c heater controls were so frigged up,i cant get the heat to turn off either,although the blower can be shut off.so i went and got a 1 1/2 foot heater hose,and by passed the heater core-i hooked it back up for spring and fall,just by passed it for summer-probably the easiest way to cure it for now,and when i get the time,ill fix it the right way,just an idea for ya!

DarkAngel0816

Actually I meant the vents in the actual dash is where the heat is coming in.   I have messed with a few more things and if I feel better tomorrow I am going to take her for a spin to see if it works.   Seriously...if you want to lose a few pounds of water weight...let me take you for a spin.  

It is an old A/C car.

Any good mechanics or whatnot books you all suggest for me? Esp those that help with the restoration of a Charger like this?

XXSpiralXX

OK I have  the EXACT same problem with my 72.  Heres what ive found so far. The heater controls dont work too well. Im replacing the blower motor and the heater core before the winter just in case. I dont want to have to do it in my driveway in the middle of fucking december up to my nads in snow, ya know? 
   There is a little vacuum line that runs from some mystery location in the dash to the back of my carb ( 2 bbl 318 ) and its cracked. Its a REALLY thin hose. I replaced it with a temp and voila! no more heat blowing. I also lubed up that aluminum alien looking spaceship thing on the passenger side fenderwell that has cables that open it up to let the heat in and out. I should replace that too. 
   Heres the rub. When that little line cracked again it started blowing hot AND hard instead of just seeping. I think that little hose is the key. Unfortunately My exhaust fell off at the Y pipe and im trying to get a dual 2 1/4 inch installed, but nobody seems to want to do it. Meineke wants a grand with stock mufflers!! ( yeah ok thats gonna happen ) so when I get a few minutes between strangling exhaust shop owners ill try to put another vacuum line on and see whats the deal.
    ummm.......... Does anybody know any decent CHEAP exhaust places in queens?

Ghoste

My guess'd be that vacuum line controls the door for the AC valve in the heater box.

Charger1970

I had the same problem in my '70.

The problem with mine was the Automatic Temp. Controller valve (the heater valve) leaking through.

It's a '70 only valve that came on cars with A/C. It's a vacuum operated valve at the engine side of the firewall. They are hard to come by but at least they are expensive. ha.

I replaced mine with an NOS valve and the hot air was gone.

A temporary fix would be to install an aftermarket shut-off valve in the heater hose.

Hope this helps.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: Ghoste on August 02, 2005, 04:07:38 AM
My guess'd be that vacuum line controls the door for the AC valve in the heater box.

Yeah thats what im thinking. Well see whent I get into it.

Iceyone

I have the heater/ac box out of my 70 Super Bee right now. There is also a valve on the heater core that is operated by a linkage attached to the heater door. Possibly that linkage is missing leaving the valve in the open position.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

DarkAngel0816

Well I drove it tonight and some mopar guys looked at it for it was hot again.  Majority of my problem is the radiator that is in the car is way too small for the engine in it.  Hence the engine is heating up real fast and the hot air comes in through the vents.  Possibly my firewall is gone.  And that vacuum thing for even though I have the vent thing off it is still blowing in.  So my first stop is to get rid of that radiator and pull the whole dash out.  It needs to come out...none of the gauges are working.  And go from there. 

I need to find me a manual for I want to do as much of this stuff by myself.  Thanks guys!

Ghoste

The firewall is gone?  That's kind of a major structural piece to have missing and still drive the car isn't it?

DarkAngel0816

LMAO It is there.   I do not want to drive with the engine in my lap.   IF I ever drove a car without the firewall then I need to be smack upside the head and committed.     I meant to say they said there could be holes in it or whatnot that could make more heat come into the car...BUT There is none.   I just tore up some of the carpeting and all for I also was told that it could be heat from the exhaust system and maybe I have holes in the floor boards, but they are fine.   And anyways the hot air is onlys coming in from the vents and ONLY when I am driving.   When it sits and runs no hot air.

I honestly think I am going to have someone come and look at it again.

Ugh I need to stay away from caffeine and get some sleep. Sorry about that...I am listening to the TV and typing at the same time.

Ghoste

Okay, I understand that better.  It's one of the seriously limiting factors of this form of communication isn't it?  It's much harder to type clearly for people than to explain in person.

DarkAngel0816

LOL!  Exactally.  Much easier when you have the car in front of someone who can see it too...instead of a dope like me who is new at this all trying to explain what is going on.

Brightyellow69rtse

i was gonna start a thread on the same topic. i sweat my ass off driving my car and no the blower motors not on. i have oipened up the vents also and it lets in air but its far from cool air. i know the headers cant help but its friggin hot in there. any ideas???................Mike

firefighter3931

Quote from: BRIGHTYELLOW69RTSE on August 07, 2005, 09:09:41 PM
i was gonna start a thread on the same topic. i sweat my ass off driving my car and no the blower motors not on. i have oipened up the vents also and it lets in air but its far from cool air. i know the headers cant help but its friggin hot in there. any ideas???................Mike

Insulation between the floorpans and carpet usually helps reduce interior heat levels. Most people remove the insulation when installing new carpeting....at least most of the cars i've seen have had it removed. I have the jute padding from year one and will be installing it in my car when the interior goes back in for this very reason.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

DarkAngel0816

I was actually looking at that last night in the yearone mag and I think I am going to invest in some of that.  And see how my car is once I get a bigger radiator into it.

Ghoste

You probably already mentioned this somewhere, but, do you have a working temp guage in your car?

MYTMOPR

2 words to solve the problem,  Cowl Induction  ;D

I've got the same problem which works great in the winter, but sucks in the summer. My charger is completely gutted of all a/c and heater componants and still gets some hot air blowing in. I've traced it to the void between firewall and fender that channels the air through the door and into the cab.

DarkAngel0816

Nope...no working gauges which is going to be changed real soon.

That is one of the top things along with the oil pan (the oil needs changing badly) and the radiator that is weeney for the car.  smasherofall has mentioned coming up here to help me pull the dash out to take a peek on if the wiring was even rehooked up.  My speedometer is not even working-I use my Mom as my speedometer right now.  I really am holding off much more driving though until those three things are done.  Wiring...radiator...oil pan with an oil change.

CHARGIN68

My heater is sitting on a shelf in my garage. It never blows hot air on me. The controls were very touchy before I removed it to replace the damaged heater core.  Check the controls. 

DarkAngel0816

There is not a heater working in the car.  I am working on getting a new radiator.

roger01

anybody have any update on this topic .....i just went for my first long drive and i burnt up some gas and a whole lot of calories......dam its hot in there ......not very enjoyable at all.... the faster you go the more hot air blows in from under the passenger dash ....all the vents are closed that i can see....im gonna put that rubber on the back of the hood as soon as i have some time ...,hope it helps .