News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cant advance my timing any more :( need a suggestion

Started by 68chargerboy, July 18, 2009, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

hi, so today i was dialing in the timing in my 440 and when i was turning the distributor the vacuum advance can is now touching the radiator hose and i can not go any further  ::)  so what can i do so that i can keep advancing the timing without the hassel of buying a new thermostat housing? thanks

Zach

The70RT

Something you may not wanna do -Pull the distributor out and turn it back a tooth or two and then do the same with the wires. The question is why can't you adjust it normally? Did you change your cam, chain & gears?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68chargerboy

what do you mean "why cant i do it the normal way"? i thought that the only way to adjust timing is to rotate the distributor clock wise or counter clockwise? is there a diffrent way that i do not know about?

y3chargerrt

The immediate shaft needs to be installed correctly for the distributor to be in the proper place. At TDC mark the rotor and distributor positon then pull it out. The slot of the shaft should be horizontal with you look at it through the hole.

b5blue

You may just rotate your plug wires one hole over on the cap....what he means is with everything proper nothing should have to be done, it should be where it needs to be. I don't know why but when I changed out from a rebuilt dist. to a new MoPar dist. I had to move the wires over one hole to get it positioned where I needed it to adjust time. I checked and the rotor lines up different to the tab on the bottom of the dist. shaft between the 2 dist. so just move your wires over one hole, it worked for me.

The70RT

Quote from: b5blue on July 18, 2009, 09:29:30 AM
You may just rotate your plug wires one hole over on the cap....what he means is with everything proper nothing should have to be done, it should be where it needs to be. I don't know why but when I changed out from a rebuilt dist. to a new MoPar dist. I had to move the wires over one hole to get it positioned where I needed it to adjust time. I checked and the rotor lines up different to the tab on the bottom of the dist. shaft between the 2 dist. so just move your wires over one hole, it worked for me.

Thanks for clarifying what I was stating.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68chargerboy

ohhh i understand now.  thanks alot for the help guys.  if its not one problem its another finally working out all the kinks now that im driving it again  ;)