News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Source power steering pump faillure

Started by 66chargertoy, July 17, 2009, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargertoy

Last December when Ron helped me break in my 440, http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51428.0.html, my brand new power steering pump from 440 Source failed after  about two minutes in the break in process :flame:. We removed it and installed a old one I had lying around. Well I sent 440 Source several e-mails explaining what had happened and what could they do for me. Time goes by and no response. I used the e-mail method of communication thinking it would be resolved in this way and would avoid any long distance calling. Anyways, called them only to find out that e-mails are not always checked and usually end up being erased. So lo and behold, the warranty for this item is over and I am stuck with a burnt out new pump and a " Gee that's to bad, but your out of luck. Have a nice day." from 440 Source.
So lesson learned. Buy locally so you have some sort of quick recourse on inferior products and don't assume your e-mails will be answered in a professional time period :slap:
Denis
1966 440 Charger

Musicman

Lesson Learned... If you don't get a response to an email after a day or two, it's time to make a call... Don't wait until it's to late  :yesnod:

73chgrSE

Chatt69chgr

Not sure what kind of power steering pump 440Source sells but the rebuild kits for the saginaws are about $20 or so.  I think I would buy that kind of part from either Rock Auto or Oreilly's or one of the other places like that.  I don't really understand why 440 Source continues to shoot themselves in the foot with imbecilical business practices like that.  They offer some good products and fill a important niche.  But every time they pull stuff like this off, they tarnish their image and lose future business.  People read these forums and they heed what they read.  Nuf said.

Supercharged Riot

im starting to hat 440 source myself.  Im seeing a few parts failure around this board.

I think I remember this other member bought a valve trane set and the rocker roller broke *ouch*

y3chargerrt

I know they won't get a dime of my money.

Musicman

No they are not made in China.. all you have to do is click your mouse over at the 440 site and it will tell you that. No wait, let me do that for you..

"Shown above is our Saginaw power steering pump. These are original factory parts that are fully remanufactured in the USA, with all new seals, bearings, etc."

One failure out of thousands doesn't account for squat diddly... it is to be expected.

y3chargerrt

The failure wouldn't bother me. The crappy customer service is a much worst problem.

Musicman

Quote from: y3chargerrt on July 18, 2009, 08:33:02 AM
The failure wouldn't bother me. The crappy customer service is a much worst problem.

Next time don't waite so long to contact them... You have to hit them while you still have a leg to stand on. Like I said earlier, if you want to email them (or any company for that matter) that's fine... just don't let them blow you off. If the email system doesn't bare any fruit, then get on the phone.  :yesnod:

Runner

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on July 17, 2009, 11:09:39 PM
Not sure what kind of power steering pump 440Source sells but the rebuild kits for the saginaws are about $20 or so.  I think I would buy that kind of part from either Rock Auto or Oreilly's or one of the other places like that.  I don't really understand why 440 Source continues to shoot themselves in the foot with imbecilical business practices like that.  They offer some good products and fill a important niche.  But every time they pull stuff like this off, they tarnish their image and lose future business.  People read these forums and they heed what they read.  Nuf said.

2 things to remember,   1. mopar people are cheap and willing to take chances to save a buck  2. musicman will always defend 440 source  :icon_smile_wink:  .

ive bought stuff from them, but the best parts ive gotten has been factory parts like timing covers ect OR parts they dont have anything to do with the manufacturing on like bearings ( the have really good deals on bearings) every part that i got that was a house brand needed work to make work, pickup tubes dipstick tube (no kidding took about an hour or sanding on the junk to get it to fit in the block)

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Musicman

Quote from: Runner on July 18, 2009, 11:47:27 AM
2. musicman will always defend 440 source  :icon_smile_wink:  .

Well that's true enough about 50% of the time... However you apparently have not read the other 50% of the threads pointing out their flaws, or you just refuse to acknowledge them. I could waste a few hours going through all the threads and posting the links for you, as well as links to all of the other manufacture cry baby posts which you apparently thrive on, but that would just make you look bad... and that would be redundant.

Have a nice day