News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 transmission swap to 518

Started by Morten Andre, July 15, 2009, 02:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morten Andre

What do you guys think about swapping in a 518 trans on almost original 440 in a 71 charger?
Since it is a 4 speed and can be had with at lockup torque converter.
Got the idea from this page: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm
How tight a fit will it be in the trans tunnel?
Will it hold the torque of the 440?
Does the bellhousing fit without an adapter?
Anybody on this forum done this?

Best regards
Morten Andre

Troy

The A518 is a small block transmission. There's a product called a JW Ultra Bell which will allow you to bolt it up to a 440 but it requires cutting off the original bell and some assembly. The A518 is based on a 727 but has a longer output shaft to hold the overdrive. I haven't heard of any major fitment issues (maybe some work on the tunnel with a hammer for clearance) but you will need a different transmission cross member for sure. I'm not positive a stock A518 will hold the torque of a stock 440 but it's probably ok on the street. I've seen them behind some fairly stout stroker motors in trucks. It can also be beefed up like a 727.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

flyinlow

I have a 518 in my 73. 440 mild build about 470 hp.  used a J.W. Ultrabell to addapt.  Shorten driveshaft. Modifiey crossmember. A 71 should be easier then my 73. Hammer tunnel alittle . Cant see with carpet. Trim webbing on trans. tailshaft housing.  Replace cooler lines with 3/8 inch. Not an afternoon bolt in. Weekend with a lift and experienced helper. Throttle preasure tuning . 518's use a cable to pull.

Shifts and feels like a torqueflite  :2thumbs:  almost a 1000rpm  drop at 70 mph with 3.55 gears--2000rpm.  2-3 mpg better milage on road. 3000 miles on it so far. Shifts good , brite red fluid, trans temps under 180* with a big cooler.

Much less $ then a smallblock chevy transmission (4l60e) that requires a computer and special parts to hold up behind a bb mopar.   :Twocents: