News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trying to figure a budget...What are prices for clone parts? Wing nose etc.

Started by Charger-Bodie, July 19, 2009, 08:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

Quote from: 200MPH on August 31, 2009, 04:23:12 PM
does anyone have a list of whos making what ?  :shruggy:
if you do not mind ?

Ps Im new here haha  i know some of you Kansas, Missouri, Texas types

There is one here, I think if you search wing car suppliers.... I can find it later too if you cannot.

200MPH

i think i found it:
it had Janak ,dayclona, wing car fab listed  i was trying to find individuals who were making the parts  i saw some of the names mentioned like dane, eric nelson
Charger

pettybird

mauve66

Quote from: pettybird on August 31, 2009, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 21, 2009, 12:00:23 PM
1625.00 LAID

that much?  I don't think I've paid more than...um...oops...never mind...

not married huh?? i've paid ALOT more than that ........................... :rofl: :rofl:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

hotrod98

If I can get caught up enough, I plan to make another run of Daytona parts. I'll make the steel wing braces and steel nose support braces. I'm going to try to make run of the steel wing washers if I have time.
If the steel prices haven't changed...
The wing braces will be $90 a set unpainted plus actual cost of shipping
Nose support braces which include the latch tray to core support brace, the valance to nose brace and the two frame brackets, will be priced at $120 a set plus actual cost of shipping.
The wing washer price has not been determined yet. Should know soon. I hope we can keep the price down. I think a lot of guys could use these.
They will not have the indentions like the originals but will fit and function properly. The fab shop wanted 5K to make a set of dies to punch the indentions so that's a no-go.
We're still trying to find a way to reproduce the steel deck lid closeout panels. I kept one to use as a template just in case. So far, the cheapest way that we've found is to make the panel in two pieces, left and right, and then weld them together, but even that's cost prohibitive.

hotrodcuda98@hotmail.com

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

unrulyprocuda

I have a dane wing for sale I now will have two of them and only need one Dane should be finished with it at any time just pay me and Dane will ship it to your house 1,625.00 hollow aluminum and perfect definately the way to go I Ordered one and one popped up on here for sale so i purchased it at the mopar nationals. you can email me at unrulyprocuda@aol.com or call me at 812-774-7800 cell ask for Bob

my dayton project

unrulyprocuda

Hot rod i will take a set of wing washers myself how soon do you think you would have some done

hotrod98

Charles Addams

Charger-Bodie

Larry,

I also am counting on your stuff, So let me know when itll be ready.....Im full steam ahead on the metel work right now so the sooner the better for me.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70daytonaclone

Larry I would like a set of wing washers. thanks for helping us loyal hobbists.Stephen

hotrod98

The wing braces and front braces will be ready next week. The fab shop has lost the info on the wing washers and it looks like I'll have to start all over again on them. They were waiting on me to find out what gauge steel to use.

Does anyone happen to know how thick the original steel wing washers are?

My guess is .060, 16 ga.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 04, 2009, 12:58:34 PM
The wing braces and front braces will be ready next week. The fab shop has lost the info on the wing washers and it looks like I'll have to start all over again on them. They were waiting on me to find out what gauge steel to use.

Does anyone happen to know how thick the original steel wing washers are?

My guess is .060, 16 ga.

i was going to guess 18    :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

The only thing I have to go by is the fiberglass version and of course that doesn't help at all.
I would think that the wing washers would have to be thick enough to help support the quarter under the wing. Seems like 18 gauge which is .048 might be a little on the thin side. But then again, maybe not.

Charles Addams

Blown70

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 04, 2009, 01:40:29 PM
The only thing I have to go by is the fiberglass version and of course that doesn't help at all.
I would think that the wing washers would have to be thick enough to help support the quarter under the wing. Seems like 18 gauge which is .048 might be a little on the thin side. But then again, maybe not.

I was going to say 16ga., on a guess, to me 18 seems light to me but, I dont know the originals all that well.

mopar_nut_440_6

I would think thicker material would be better especially since the originals had extra contours pressed into them which provided additional strength that the repro's will not have. Just my   :Twocents:. Bear in mind I generally build overkill on everything and can see people sitting on my wing! Or at least my wife!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

learical1

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on September 04, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

I would think thicker material would be better especially since the originals had extra contours pressed into them which provided additional strength that the repro's will not have. Just my   :Twocents:. Bear in mind I generally build overkill on everything and can see people sitting on my wing! Or at least my wife!

Your wife's not people?  Better hope she doesn't read that!  :slap:
Bruce

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: learical1 on September 04, 2009, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on September 04, 2009, 02:06:37 PM

Your wife's not people?  Better hope she doesn't read that!  :slap:

Haha... She is a person not a people.

Correction: Or one person such as my beautiful wife!  :yesnod:
1968 Charger R/T 440 

hotrod98

The wing washers that I built for my 69 runner were made from 5052 .090 aluminum. They worked perfect, but I would rather make these from steel so that they will look like originals. That is until you poke your head up under the quarter panel and look closer.

You're absolutely correct about the lack of contours making a difference. Personally, I think the originals were overkill.

Here's a pic of one of the aluminum wing washers that I made for the runner. They don't look correct since they don't have the steps at the trunk gutter, but reality took a severe left turn on this project before I ever got to the wing washers.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mauve66

sure widh you guys a a 1st gen with all your metal working skills.......................... do ya think the washer is really needed to support the fender metal from pull out??

mines gonna have to be tweaked for the curve in ours :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: mauve66 on September 05, 2009, 12:50:02 PM
sure widh you guys a a 1st gen with all your metal working skills.......................... do ya think the washer is really needed to support the fender metal from pull out??

mines gonna have to be tweaked for the curve in ours :brickwall: :brickwall:

I think the fender washer also provides support on the underside of the 1/4 as these wings will provide up to about 600 lbs of down force. Without something backing up the factory panel I could see the pressure from the wing causing damage to the top of the 1/4 over time. I also would just feel better knowing that I has some thicker material backing the wing up.
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Troy

We're getting way off topic here but... if you adjust the wing correctly there's no down force (and, if you want, lift). Then you're only worried about the weight of the wing itself and any side loads from cornering. The washers spread the load from the exterior sheet metal and transfer any forces to the braces which, in turn transfer them to the chassis. Tying all these areas together should also provide some extra rigidity. With enough down force (ie high speed racing) the quarter would buckle which would defeat the purpose of having a wing in the first place.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hotrod98

The main purpose of the wing washers is to keep the wing from buckling the quarter when installed. The countour of the bottom of the wing isn't exactly the same as the top of the quarter.  With the washer it spreads the load out evenly over a larger area. I've installed wings with and without the washers and you can see the difference even without trying to move or shake the wing.
In my opinion, they are a requirement as are the wing braces. It takes both to support the wing properly.

If anyone decides to test the wing on thier stock vehicle at 200 mph+...
I would like to see a video, a copy of the police report and if available, a copy of the coroner's report.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams