News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

early 1968 standard steering wheel horn button

Started by Dennis K, July 26, 2009, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

Just wondering when the 68 Chargers switched from the metal horn button with the Dodge symbol on it to the padded vinyl style? My car was missing the horn button when I found it, and I found a nice padded style one in a junkyard, so that's what I have now. My 68 was built on Dec. 15, 1967 and I'm curious if anyone knows for sure if I'm supposed to have the metal one? Also, does anyone have a good closeup pic of what they look like? I've only seen the crappy B&W pics from the sales brochure. Thanks!

6bblgt

I'm pretty sure the metal/plastric cap was gone before the end of September '67.

Here's a 12/14 car's steering wheel pic.

6bblgt

6bblgt

better pic of the soft cap

Dennis K

Thanks, I read that there was and early style, but apparently they were the REALLY early style, so it looks like I won't be replacing the one I have after all since it's probably correct for my car.

Kazza68

Hi all,

Thank you for all your advice here, much appreciated.

I'm missing the horn button, can anyone suggest where I might pick one up? I'm after the metal horn version discussed in this thread (for a 68)?

The only other thing I can't track down is a lower dash ashtray cover. Suggestions on where I can find one of those also welcomed. The usual places don't seem to have either!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pedal2Metal

I was told that the early 68 cars, whether woodgrain steering wheel or not, came with a horn center button that came in black only. I don't believe that is correct...they came colored to match your dash pad setup. Opinions? 
32 Oakland V8, 42 Hudson Pickup, 58 Messerschmitt KR200, 60 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz Vert, 65 Ford GT40 351/Webers (CAV), 69 Shelby GT500, 68 Charger 440 R/T, 71 Hemi Cuda Vert 4-Speed Tribute