News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona in Mopar Collectors Guide

Started by rustafarian, July 27, 2009, 11:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustafarian

The issue with Vic Edelbrock on the cover starts to tell the story on a Daytona restoration.  The car was a NASCAR  Public Relations car and is the only one with power windows and cruise control.  Is this statement correct, is this is the only power windows Daytona?  And the only Daytona with cruise control? 
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

hemi68charger

I think it's a false statement, but probably out of ignorance to the numbers versus one of deception. I personally have seen multiple examples of Daytonas with power windows and those with cruise, so would think there would have been more than two examples with both........  Just my  :Twocents:

Danny?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

I know someone with a daytona with all those options PW Cruise etc etc  .I got a copy of its buildsheet its a very loaded daytona .Its a Dodge Executive garage car .That never was shipped to a dealer.Dont now if its the one currently in MCG.But we have seen these type of unfounded claims before for example
Heres a direct quote from magazines article.Another rarity is this yellow daytona one of two made.It was ordered as a Hemi but when the wrong engine was put in.Chrysler authorized the dealer to install a 440 six pack

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59013.msg658646/topicseen.html#msg658646

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54690.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69 OUR/TEA

One of the biggest things I can't stand in the musclecar hobby and mostly from the mopar group is the "one of xx"statements thrown around all the time! :brickwall: Almost all of us can break down our cars to be one of something as to the delivered options in that particular car.
  How many daytonas were built,500 something ? There you go,you have one of 500 something!AAR cudas,total built 2,722 , you have one of 2,722.And so on.....its that easy.

Ghoste

And ironically, Mopars are some of the least inaccurate to break down that way seeing as how they didn't really track options by number.  The Marti Report the Ford guys all buy is the way to break it down into low numbers.

hemigeno

Quote from: rustafarian on July 27, 2009, 11:08:38 AM
The issue with Vic Edelbrock on the cover starts to tell the story on a Daytona restoration.  The car was a NASCAR  Public Relations car and is the only one with power windows and cruise control.  Is this statement correct, is this is the only power windows Daytona? 

Nope.

Quote from: rustafarian on July 27, 2009, 11:08:38 AM
And the only Daytona with cruise control? 

Nope.  Even as a combination, I know of at least two PW/Cruise cars - and there's probably a couple more than just those two.

As far as magazine article claims about this, that or the other, I don't put too much stock in them.  My Grandfather used to have a saying that applies to such things:  "It's durned poor paper that won't take ink"   In other words, you can print about anything -- but that doesn't make it true.  Some writers are better than others at researching the subject of their articles, and MCG is usually better than most.

nascarxx29

The daytona currently in MCG .Ive been in contact with its owner before on here .The vin wasnt on the shiplist.But its on this list of nascar drivers daytonas  XX29L9B355109.The other daytona I know with same options differs the vin by 1 ending digit

.http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49421.msg561788/topicseen.html#msg561788

hemigeno

Then that's one of the two cars I know of with PW and cruise.  That VIN does appear in the Dealer Invoice list published through the WW/NBOA, and it's in the middle of a run of consecutive VINs so there's no doubt in my mind about the car's authenticity.

Nice guy too (the owner) - he's a member here.

nascarxx29

I saw the picture in MCG and knew the car and was easy to authenticate from it being on here .It was in TX and parted out before. Records show it to Jim Foster dealer Dodge City Daytona Beach FL.As I was curious about street daytonas that went to nascar drivers hands.As in this post 2007  Street daytonas that went to Nascar Drivers  

nascarxx29

Street driven daytonas owned by nascar drivers whereabouts?
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:10:46 PM »

Hes a member here mopar-heaven and his car is on the list I show in 2007

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33772.msg367529/topicseen.html#msg367529

nascarxx29

Moparheaven

Hello guys,

I'm not on here tons and was reading another thread and saw a reference to this one. So I looked it up. I have been a very proud owner of mopars since I was 11. Mopar or no car is something that I live by not just say. Cameros and Corvettes are great investments.....To sell...Make money and build a mopar. Just wanted to give you a little background on me and my attitude.
  I own a Construction business and am trying to keep my head above water. So far So good. Things are looking better fianally.

Mopar Collectors Guide called me. They found out I had this car from something I told Lou Santiago from Muscle car tv (personal friend) (congrats to him by the way on the new show coming out on The Discovery Channel, " Gargage Wars")

They called me and asked me questions about the car. I told them the story of me getting my "Unicorn" I call it. I told them that I was researching the car and found out from Winged Warriors about the nascar link and Jim Foster. I was very excited. I found Jim in Florida and called him. He told me about the car and he said that it was in some Photo Opps. So he did remember the car. His wife too.

I then got back in touch with Doug S. from Daytona Superbird Club. I let him know of my conversation and written letter from Jim. He was glad to hear I had got in contact with him. ( he urged me to contact him in the beginning) This confirmed the Public relations contact that was in question to begin with.

I had been in contact through this site with "Hemigeno" (very nice guy) and he was excited about my car and wrote to me that this was the first pwr window/cruise/8Track that he had seen on the Fender tag (for the Nascar Public relations Cars)

In my phone interview with Mopar Collectors Guide I stated that after my contact with Hemigeno, I had felt, but was not yet possitive that my car might be the only Nascar car on the list that is still around with confirmed Cruise on the fender tag. I was very clear that nothing was confirmed and that it was at best it was at least a one of six nascar cars.

Lets face it, "Possible" key word possible, One of one Daytona's is a kinda cool story. Cool stories sell magazies otherwise we would not read them.

I'm sorry if the story of my car in Mopar Collectors Guide made some of you angry. I was happy to finally get one of my cars in a Magazine. Funny how the first car I get into a magazine is one that is not even restored yet.

I know what I am saying won't make everyone happy and I am not trying to do that. Just thought you'd like to hear what the story was.

I'm really just happy to have my Daytona. I look forward to driving it.

Ghoste

I don't think you made anyone angry.  It's more a case of overload on one of one cars popping up all over the place and MCG can be really guilty of promoting that notion with their feature cars.
Thanks for the update on the car though and keep us updated more often.  We love pics even of cars in restoration.  :2thumbs:
(and you damned well should be looking forward to driving it, it's an amazing piece of Mopar history  :yesnod:)

hemigeno

Hey Scott!

Thanks for the reply, and sharing some of the details about your car.  I wasn't aware that you had contacted Jim Foster about the car, and it's fantastic that he responded and remembered your car!!!

I don't think the article necessarily upset anyone around here, but it is sad how often MCG tends to emphasize the 1 of __ status various cars have.  Yours is definitely in rare company with its status as a PR car and it's options list, and it will be a great ride when it's restored.

It was great talking with you last fall about the car, and we all look forward to reading more about your resto progress!

nascarxx29

Thanks Scott no problem you made no one angry .Glad you got it in the magazine.And that you shared you car and story again with us as you did when you unveiled it on this board on my post about wereabouts of nascar drivers street daytonas

XX29L9B355109 Appears on this list Apparently.daytonas that went to Nascar Drivers??XX29L9B355109 debuted on dodge charger  mopar-heaven .And his story and pictures of XX29L9B355109 this post by mopar-heaven

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33772.msg367529/topicseen.html#msg367529

Moparheaven

Thank you very much everyone. I just wanted to make sure that No one thought I was trying to pass my car off as something that it wasn't. Heck, when I got this car I did not care if it had a history or not, and still don't, I just wanted a Daytona. I could have cared less which color and so on. I have wanted one of these since I was 13. Last year I thought I was going to have to sell it just to put food on the table for my kids. But God smiled on me and I was able to keep it.

I have the best wife in the world. She told me that If I sold the Daytona or the Superbird that she would leave me. She knows how much they mean to me. So she went back to work after 14 years of being a stay at home mom, just to fill in the gaps. Wow. She is the best thing in my life.

Life is good.

rustafarian

Thanks for the answer!  I wasn't bothered,  just puzzled.  As a guy who's been reading every decent car mag on Mopars,  and keeping them, for 30 years,  I kinda knew the MCG statement was a little off.  Hope you're resto goes good & fast,  keep us posted!
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mopar-heaven on August 22, 2009, 10:44:23 AM
Thank you very much everyone. I just wanted to make sure that No one thought I was trying to pass my car off as something that it wasn't. Heck, when I got this car I did not care if it had a history or not, and still don't, I just wanted a Daytona. I could have cared less which color and so on. I have wanted one of these since I was 13. Last year I thought I was going to have to sell it just to put food on the table for my kids. But God smiled on me and I was able to keep it.

I have the best wife in the world. She told me that If I sold the Daytona or the Superbird that she would leave me. She knows how much they mean to me. So she went back to work after 14 years of being a stay at home mom, just to fill in the gaps. Wow. She is the best thing in my life.

Life is good.

:o  Wow you really do have a special wife.  My wife would post my car on ebay in a second if I had the slightest thought.  :slap:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Same here.  In fact she's usually probing for a weakness.

Moparheaven

Update:   

I am thinking of selling my Daytona. Please let me know if anyone has a legitimate buyer.

Thanks
Moparheaven

resq302

Uh oh, either your wife left you or you are on really bad times.  Either way, I wish you the best and hope you get to keep your daytona!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Has it changed much in the last few years of ownership?

nascarxx29

Thats a pretty significant daytona with those options .And Jim Foster record of ownership .It needs to go to auction or ebay to test the waters

Moparheaven

Wife and I are good!! Been married 20 years now as of Sept 3rd. All the kids are good. I have all boys and thought they would be more interested in cars by now. Well, kinda, they like to drive them. They don't like to work on them. They get bored at car shows. I guess too many. I ruined it for them I guess. Oh well.

I had a friend offer to buy the car at Mopars at the Strip. I immediately said NO.... then have been thinking about it since then.  Well, I called him and we agreed on a price. Then he could not round up the money. So.... I thought if I was willing to sell it to him I would make it known. If it sells great, If not, great. I just don't want another 5 years to pass me by and not get it done.

MoparHeaven

69_500

Hmmm. Troy I already sent him a message, as everyone else knows I want a Daytona. So you all know I had to ask right?

held1823

once again, i need a program guide to keep up with which car is which around here.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053