News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vegas Mike....it's time ! ***Dyno numbers are in + Pics***

Started by firefighter3931, November 21, 2005, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Hey Mike, i see you've made a few posts !   :icon_smile_big: It's time to share your experiences with the group and some details about your car. I have some knowledge on the engine build but i'm curious about the rest.   ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Ron, I've been trying to get him to crawl out of his nuts and bolts and manifolds for ages to sit down and wright out what he has done and what has worked well and what not to ever do again.. Maybe now that he's getting close to done he'll take some time writing and not just reading.. Maybe some bragging too!! :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

vegasmike

Hi Ron, as you know this motor started out with a monster stick, mp's 590 lift for a street car. Ha, whats wrong with that picture?  I gave my friend full control at the engine shop and needless to say we had to re-do the motor.... So here is the break down on the motor now. It made some nice hp and tq .. This is going in a 68 charger:

440 bored to a 451
Ross pistons
Manley rods    Bought these cheap from a guy building a hemi. The 440 didn't dyno big enough for him. Oh well...
comp cam crb3 xe282s
1.6 Roller rockers
e heads.  no porting
old 440 Torker manifold  from the 80's
1 7/8 super comp hookers
750 mighty demon  mech..
410 gear    3200 stall
motor dynoed at 528 hp @ 5700  544 @4600

Ron I know my cousin Steve P sent you the dyno sheet. I cant figure out how to get them on here. If you still have them you are more than welcome to post them.

Steve P.

Damn it Sammy,,,  Now we can't shut him up!!  Hahahaha.............. ;D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: vegasmike on November 21, 2005, 09:34:32 PM
Hi Ron, as you know this motor started out with a monster stick, mp's 590 lift for a street car. Ha, whats wrong with that picture?  I gave my friend full control at the engine shop and needless to say we had to re-do the motor.... So here is the break down on the motor now. It made some nice hp and tq .. This is going in a 68 charger:

440 bored to a 451
Ross pistons
Manley rods    Bought these cheap from a guy building a hemi. The 440 didn't dyno big enough for him. Oh well...
comp cam crb3 xe282s
1.6 Roller rockers
e heads.  no porting
old 440 Torker manifold  from the 80's
1 7/8 super comp hookers
750 mighty demon  mech..
410 gear    3200 stall
motor dynoed at 528 hp @ 5700  544 @4600

Ron I know my cousin Steve P sent you the dyno sheet. I cant figure out how to get them on here. If you still have them you are more than welcome to post them.

Thanks for the info Mike, it looks like there were some nice improvements made with this combo, both in terms of power and drivability   :2thumbs:.....that's what the dyno sheets indicate. I'll post up the results so everyone can see.

The original build was terribly mismatched and it's apparent. The 590 and Victor are way wrong for a 9.7:1 aluminum head combo and it shows on the dyno sheets. So bumping up the compression from 9.7 to 10.2 and removing a ton of duration actually produced better power numbers. I'm not surprised at all. The Torker manifold is much better suited to this build as well and the bottom end power is significantly stronger with that intake vs. the Victor. This engine will idle relatively smooth compared to the previous combo. 800-850 rpm in gear should be no problem.   :icon_smile_cool:

(1) the first graph shows the actual dyno numbers. The torque curve looks excellent....it's making 500+ ftlbs of torque from 3600 to 5500 rpm. That is ideal because when you upshift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd....the engine won't be hitting a flatspot or "hole" in the powerband.   :thumbs:

(2) the second graph is a comparison between the two builds. The red lines are the original build while the black lines represent the reworked combo. It's quite apparent that the newly tweaked combo is making more power everywhere throughout the powerband. This is a very good example of what happens when you go "too big" on the cam and intake manifold for the rest of the build.

Congrats Mike, that is going to be one sweet running car when you get her back together. The improved power and drivability will be a pleasant surprise.   :icon_smile_big:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

hey mike, pretty neat set up. VERY close to mine.   452 (lowdeck) kb pistons 10.4-1 comp xe282s cam, ootb e-heads. 750 dp with holleys hp main body, tm-6 intake. im runner headman 1 3/4 headers but will be upgrading to a set of 1 7/8 hookers over the winter.

anyway i got the heads changed to the e-heads right before the last race and took it to the local race track. it ran a 7.33@93.95   1/8th mile. the interesting thing (at least to me) is with online calculators the 93.95 mph come in right around 530 hp. i was kind of skeptical about that though.   anyway nice setup!!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Here's some pics of Mike's new and improved Bullit !  :devil: She's a beauty !  :drool5:

8WHEELER

SWEET, I think he might have an air restriction problem when installed  :smilielol:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Steve P.

Hey Mike,, I think you neglected to mention one major thing. This motor was dynoed on 91 octane pump gas.

In Vegas the pump gas is rather crappy. Rick, (the owner of HBR Competition Engines), taught us about the turd mix they sell for gas. This was the reason for the low static compression ratio. Now if that motor were to have been built for here in sunny Florida where we have a good, solid 93 octane and we sit AT sea level,,,,,,  pump gas and 11.0:1 all the way and maybe another (???) ponies.. ;) 

So Mike, when are we starting on the blower motor?? :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MOPARHOUND!

Eddy heads are impressive.  They deliver as advertised.

Reading through your build, I was guessing 475-485hp, but then caught the Eddy head listing.

Claims of 50 horsepower increase are not off the mark.

Switched from factory 452's with mild porting/oversized valves to Eddy's on the 496, and the beast under the hood got a whole lot beastier, dramatic difference.  More than I expected.

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

firefighter3931

Here are some Pics of Mike's car that were sent to me. The Charger is fresh from the paintshop and has a killer stance....and now the drivetrain to back up the attitude. Running hard and looking good doing it....doesn't get much better than that !  :devil:

Ron

Runner

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Mefirst

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Steve P.

Spoke to Mike tonight on the phone. The motor is in the car and it should be fired up by noon on Saturday.. I can't wait for my next phone call!!!! :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on November 25, 2005, 11:47:37 PM
Spoke to Mike tonight on the phone. The motor is in the car and it should be fired up by noon on Saturday.. I can't wait for my next phone call!!!! :yesnod:

:punkrocka: :rock:   :drive:   :cheers:

cudaken

Would someone post the whole cam part number? I tried the comp cam crb3 as listed and could not find it on there page. Had a bunch of crb's but which one?

Ron, how would that work with my 346 head and 9.45 compression?

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on November 26, 2005, 08:56:07 AM
Would someone post the whole cam part number? I tried the comp cam crb3 as listed and could not find it on there page. Had a bunch of crb's but which one?

Ron, how would that work with my 346 head and 9.45 compression?

Cuda Ken

Ken, the part number is 21-232-4 and it is grind # XS282S. It would work well on a 9.5:1 440 on the street.....Runner has this cam in his lowdeck 452 and it ran high 11's with unported iron heads. He's now into mid 11's with unported e-heads.

Here's a link to the Comp webpage for BB Mopar. Scroll down to the Extreme Energy mechanical flat tappet profiles and you'll find the specs for this cam.   :icon_smile_big:

To run this cam you'd need new springs and the guides would have to be trimmed down for additional retainer clearance but other than that...you'd be good to go. Of course you'd need an adjustable rocker arm setup for the mechanical cam. The crane iron 1.5's wold be fine for this application.

Linky:

http://compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/46-55.asp

Ron

Steve P.

Yupper, that's exactly the direction in which I am headed. Ron said he knew his stuff and we have the dyno sheets to prove it.

Did we ever thank you , Ron??    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Hey Steve, no thanks needed.....just a few burnout pics and a big ass smile is enough   :icon_smile_big: I'd say that combo is working pretty darned good. Compare the torque curves between the two builds; at 3300 the mp cam is taking a nosedive while the Comp is building steam. By 3700rpm the Comp grind is making 140 ftlbs of additional  torque over the MP590.....that is freaking HUGE ! I bet Mike notices a difference when he gets her up 'n' running....his tires sure will !   :drive:

Comparing the before and after numbers i'd have to say the tweaking was a big step in the right direction. More power everywhere and vastly improved idle quality/street manners. I'm anxious to hear how Mike likes it.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Ps. Yours is next !   :devil:

cudaken

Thanks for the link Ron.

Ken
I am back

Steve P.

Hahaha, your right Ron.. Only I have to sell some cars and trucks first.. You know the old saying, Money talks!!!!  Anyone want to buy a nice low milage Fifth Avenue?? How about a Ram 150??
NO RUST..........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Steve P.

Since this combo has been brought back to life in other peoples builds I want to say this. I have been along for some rides and driven VegasMike's Charger. I can tell you IT KICKS ASS.....  This motor is all power and pull from the first spark.  I know Mike is very happy with it, even if he does bring up building a blower motor at least once a month...   :lol: 

Summer is damn hot in Vegas and the Charger doesn't get out much when the ambient temp is much over 100*, but fall is coming and Mike has got some new stickies for the beast.. I figure the next major kink will be the 8.75 rear end.  My money is on a new Dana by X-Mas...  What do you think Ron??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

gordo1968charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 24, 2005, 02:42:38 PM
Here are some Pics of Mike's car that were sent to me. The Charger is fresh from the paintshop and has a killer stance....and now the drivetrain to back up the attitude. Running hard and looking good doing it....doesn't get much better than that !  :devil:

Ron

[/quote
what size wheels and tyres??
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Challenger340

Great job you guys, and VERY good numbers, congrats !

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

vegasmike

The tires are 295/50 BF-Goodrich. The rims are 15/10 4-1/4 backspace.  No rubbing what so ever. Even with big Al in the backseat giving me traction  :icon_smile_big:.. The tire does not stick out past the quarter. I wouldn't want to be called pinchey..... Thinking about going to M/T's as the BFG tire's are a  pretty hard compound ........the heat here is unbearable. Still doing research of who's running what and why, but they look fresh as hell on the car......

Steve P.

DAMN,,,,,,,  Mike's up to 9 posts now....  Shut up, will ya.... :rofl: :nana:  Post whore........ :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

gordo1968charger

Quote from: vegasmike on August 20, 2007, 06:50:35 PM
The tires are 295/50 BF-Goodrich. The rims are 15/10 4-1/4 backspace.  No rubbing what so ever. Even with big Al in the backseat giving me traction  icon_smile_big.. The tire does not stick out past the quarter. I wouldn't want to be called pinchey..... Thinking about going to M/T's as the BFG tire's are a  pretty hard compound ........the heat here is unbearable. Still doing research of who's running what and why, but they look fresh as hell on the car......
looks really smart,hope you do nt mind but i m going to copy!!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

firefighter3931

Gordo,

Some more pics of Mike's car from the 2007 Mopars at the strip show.  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Purple440

Wow that's a nice lookin Charger....love it's posture on that last pic...those tires are perfect

Steve P.

That was the end of a great day. It was day 3 of the 2007 MATS and we were on our way home. The Charger ran great and I got to drive a buddies 68' GTX home from the show. I took that pic. through the windshield doing about 65 on the highway.   

Good times... :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

gordo1968charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 21, 2007, 01:37:36 PM
Gordo,

Some more pics of Mike's car from the 2007 Mopars at the strip show.  :2thumbs:
truly menacing,great looks and superb performance :2thumbs:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

70sixpkrt

That car is awesome. I saw it at MATS. Those tires fit perfect under there. :2thumbs:

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Steve P.

Update:

The complete drive line from Mike's 68' Charger will be going into a 65' Coronet 500 that Mike is doing up for racing. I cannot WAIT to see what numbers that car puts down at the track.....  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

CB

he's racing his black Coronet with that powerplant?  :o
I have to see that in person!

Then after the race he can put his engine in my car :2thumbs:  ;)

Mike, see you in less then 2 weeks :cheers:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500