News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone near Los Angeles... could look at a car for me? i bought it!.. its home!

Started by PocketThunder, August 04, 2009, 12:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Here is the story of my trip.  I called the seller after seeing it on ebay the second time in 3 months.  I was wondering why it didn't sell right away the first time, and after the second time it didn't sell I thought two things, 1) people have been there and its not what he says it is, or 2) he poorly advertised it and its really a nice car.  So after talking to the guy I got the feeling that he was a "live out in the sticks old fashioned type of guy who is honest and your word is your word".  So then I asked Ponch to go out to look at it for me and he sent me pics and a video.  He wouldn't take any money for this by the way, he was just happy to help a mopar brother out.  I didn't get to meet up with him when I was in LA Wednesday so the next time I'm out there, dinner and drinks are on me.

So, I agree to a price with the seller and Tuesday night I'm waiting for a call back from the car carrier as to when they can be there.  Then I will fly out and meet them there and make the transactions.  I'm thinking some time early next week, well, they call me at 6:00pm and say "Hey, we can be there tomorrow afternoon!"  Great!  Crap!  I need to get a flight!  I tell my spouse "Honey I need to fly out to LA tomorrow I wont be home till 6:00am the next morning.  She is still not happy and well, sometimes in life its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  She wondered why cant this guy just go to our bank and get the money, I said, no, I'm going to hand over the cash from me to him, that's the way the seller wants it.

I get to LA and go to my bank, I called the night before and they said they have $20k in cash in stock.  I get there that day and they look at me like I'm a bank robber and tell me most banks only stock $5000 in cash and they would have to put an order in for that much cash and that will take 2 days.  After 20 minutes of calling around they say, we are able to get you $10,000.  So then they send me to another bank for the other $10,000.  Now I'm in Downtown LA with $20k in cash and I hop in my rental car and get the hell out of there.  A quick stop at In-n-out burger in Glendora and I was on my way to the desert.

I get there and the car is the shit as you can see.  I pay the money and get the title and the guy and he brother ask if I don't mind if they count it.  I said sure, I would count it also.  They get out a money pen and start marking the bills.  They stop on one and say, hey, this ones fake!  My jaw hit the floor and he says, no I'm just kidding!  Haha  ya real funny.  Then the car carrier calls and I drive the PT cruiser rental out to meet him by the freeway exit.  The seller lives on a dirt road in the desert and the dips of the road are wash outs for when it rains.  So in excitement, I'm driving too fast back to his house to get the Charger to take back out and I hit the wash out dip with the PT crusier (at probably 20 mph instead of 5) and the lower bumper slams into the ledge and pushes into the radiator and it starts leaking.  Crap, now I'm stuck in the desert 80 miles from the airport and its 3:00pm

The rental car company says they will send out a tow truck and I can ride back to the airport with him.  He leaves from the airport at 4:00pm.  3 hours later he gets there and takes me back.  I get in the airport at 9:30, grab some supper, then sit down by the gate for my flight home at 12:30am.  I fall in and out of sleep while the 2 hours go by and then I wake up and the flight is starting to board.  I fall back asleep and somebody bumps over my toes with their suitcase wheels and I wake up, just in time to get on the plane.  Whoa!  I hope the boarding attendant would have woken me up to see if I was getting on that plane. 

Then I arrive in Minneapolis at 5:30am central time, drive home just in time to take a shower and eat breakfast with the kids and then I was off to work.  Man I'm tired even yet today.  I was up till 11:00pm last night trying to get my electrical rough in done for my new garage.  I passed that this morning thank god.  So now the car carrier will be here Saturday at about 2:00 pm.  I've got license and registration and insurance all ready to go.

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

FlatbackFanatic

Looks great Paul!!! Can't wait to see it on the 23rd.  :drool5: :drool5:  Great story too!!
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on August 14, 2009, 11:39:59 AM
Side mouldings are not factory....maybe dealer installed.

Maybe Paul got the scoop from the old owner?

Cars like this become one of ones for MCG!!!!!!

moparstuart

dude !!!!   :D are you sure your names not stuart , you have the same damn misadventures i do .
  Well you have a great story to tell now anyway , thats the way i alway look at it .    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  again nice nice score brother .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 14, 2009, 09:21:46 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on August 14, 2009, 07:45:06 PM
Great story Paul & that burger sure looks tasty :drool5:

those cups are for water, not lemonade. :nono:

Honest to God, i pushed the "water" tab below the lemonade button and lemonade came out.    :yesnod:   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BB1

Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 14, 2009, 01:41:50 PM
Here is the story of my trip.  I called the seller after seeing it on ebay the second time in 3 months.  I was wondering why it didn't sell right away the first time, and after the second time it didn't sell I thought two things, 1) people have been there and its not what he says it is, or 2) he poorly advertised it and its really a nice car.  So after talking to the guy I got the feeling that he was a "live out in the sticks old fashioned type of guy who is honest and your word is your word".  So then I asked Ponch to go out to look at it for me and he sent me pics and a video.  He wouldn't take any money for this by the way, he was just happy to help a mopar brother out.  I didn't get to meet up with him when I was in LA Wednesday so the next time I'm out there, dinner and drinks are on me.

So, I agree to a price with the seller and Tuesday night I'm waiting for a call back from the car carrier as to when they can be there.  Then I will fly out and meet them there and make the transactions.  I'm thinking some time early next week, well, they call me at 6:00pm and say "Hey, we can be there tomorrow afternoon!"  Great!  Crap!  I need to get a flight!  I tell my spouse "Honey I need to fly out to LA tomorrow I wont be home till 6:00am the next morning.  She is still not happy and well, sometimes in life its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  She wondered why cant this guy just go to our bank and get the money, I said, no, I'm going to hand over the cash from me to him, that's the way the seller wants it.

I get to LA and go to my bank, I called the night before and they said they have $20k in cash in stock.  I get there that day and they look at me like I'm a bank robber and tell me most banks only stock $5000 in cash and they would have to put an order in for that much cash and that will take 2 days.  After 20 minutes of calling around they say, we are able to get you $10,000.  So then they send me to another bank for the other $10,000.  Now I'm in Downtown LA with $20k in cash and I hop in my rental car and get the hell out of there.  A quick stop at In-n-out burger in Glendora and I was on my way to the desert.

I get there and the car is the shit as you can see.  I pay the money and get the title and the guy and he brother ask if I don't mind if they count it.  I said sure, I would count it also.  They get out a money pen and start marking the bills.  They stop on one and say, hey, this ones fake!  My jaw hit the floor and he says, no I'm just kidding!  Haha  ya real funny.  Then the car carrier calls and I drive the PT cruiser rental out to meet him by the freeway exit.  The seller lives on a dirt road in the desert and the dips of the road are wash outs for when it rains.  So in excitement, I'm driving too fast back to his house to get the Charger to take back out and I hit the wash out dip with the PT crusier (at probably 20 mph instead of 5) and the lower bumper slams into the ledge and pushes into the radiator and it starts leaking.  Crap, now I'm stuck in the desert 80 miles from the airport and its 3:00pm

The rental car company says they will send out a tow truck and I can ride back to the airport with him.  He leaves from the airport at 4:00pm.  3 hours later he gets there and takes me back.  I get in the airport at 9:30, grab some supper, then sit down by the gate for my flight home at 12:30am.  I fall in and out of sleep while the 2 hours go by and then I wake up and the flight is starting to board.  I fall back asleep and somebody bumps over my toes with their suitcase wheels and I wake up, just in time to get on the plane.  Whoa!  I hope the boarding attendant would have woken me up to see if I was getting on that plane. 

Then I arrive in Minneapolis at 5:30am central time, drive home just in time to take a shower and eat breakfast with the kids and then I was off to work.  Man I'm tired even yet today.  I was up till 11:00pm last night trying to get my electrical rough in done for my new garage.  I passed that this morning thank god.  So now the car carrier will be here Saturday at about 2:00 pm.  I've got license and registration and insurance all ready to go.

Paul

nice man bag
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Blown70

NICE Story Paul,,, trying to DUKES the PT Cruiser  :smilielol:

At least you will have a story about when you bought the car!!!! :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

PocketThunder

Omar the truck driver called me and said he will be in my area at 4:00pm.  We loaded up the mini-van and headed a couple miles to the shopping mall parking lot and there it was.  :o

My whole family was excited and especially my lovely spouse, which is most important.  The inside has mouse turds on the pass floor so i need to go thru the whole interior and give it a good cleaning.  It needs a new headliner and new carpet to be really nice, so thats second on the list.

First on the list are new tires, these ones only have 5000 miles on them but are 23 years old, i've had an old tire blow out on me before when i had my 55 Cheby and it wasnt pretty.  And the throttle sticks if you push it down past half way, so i need to give it a good tune up and maybe a wheel alingment.

My good friend Tool Time came over also, he used to have a 68 Charger and was just as excited as we were.  I got it home just in time to beat the rain that was on the way.  My new garage lost its virginity at 5:30pm today.  She looks good sitting there.  dont cha think?

Paul

PocketThunder

:2thumbs:

PocketThunder

Ya know, those aweful side moldings are starting to grow on me...?... ??  :scratchchin:

69bronzeT5

Beautiful!!! So you got that and the C500 right now? Wow, it got there fast! :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

MoparManJim

Quote from: Blown70 on August 15, 2009, 10:46:22 AM
NICE Story Paul,,, trying to DUKES the PT Cruiser  :smilielol:

Yea, but at least they always got the car off the ground though  :smilielol:

QuoteAt least you will have a story about when you bought the car!!!! :2thumbs:

That is a good story man. I also like the color of that charger of yours man.  :coolgleamA:

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 15, 2009, 07:00:06 PM
Ya know, those aweful side moldings are starting to grow on me...?... ??  :scratchchin:

Don't make me come up there and smack you.  :slap:

If you do leave those side moldings on I suggest you also get some plaid golf pants and pull them all the way up to your man boobs, shave your head and get a really phony looking toupee and then start constantly bitching about joint pain.

69 OUR/TEA

Great going Paul!!!! Looks great!!!!!You should be very happy now. :2thumbs:

BTW,is that a dining room chandalear light in the garage?????

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 15, 2009, 08:09:23 PM
Great going Paul!!!! Looks great!!!!!You should be very happy now. :2thumbs:

BTW,is that a dining room chandalear light in the garage?????

You bet, it adds ambiance!  My neighbors across the street replaced their dining room light and they tried to sell this one at a garage sale for $5, nobody bought it so they put it in the corner of their garage.  Then i was building my garage and i needed some quick lighting while framing so i asked them if i could borrow that chandelier and they said yes, on one condition, you cant bring it back!  So now i'm stuck with it but it adds that touch of class that goes good with my plaid golf pants..  :icon_smile_big:   :lol:  :lol:

The70RT

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 15, 2009, 07:00:06 PM

Me too. If their on with adhesive then I would maybe remove them but you would have a stripe since they have been on for 30 years.  They look like the riveted ones to me. If you were going to restore it I guess you could weld them up. If your just gonna drive it and have fun with it I would leave them on  :Twocents: ....oh yeah get some of those thick black rimed glasses to go with your shorts......your married anyway so it don't matter :lol:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

PocketThunder

Quote from: mauve66 on August 15, 2009, 08:38:52 PM
she might leave him after the glasses though :rofl:

No, after some of the crap i've pulled over the years it would take more than that for her to leave me.   :icon_smile_big:   :slap:

By popular request, here is the new girlfriend in the same room as the old girlfriend.  The rain stopped so i had a chance to move her.  I hope they get along tonight..  ;)  I pulled "Cali" into the house garage for the night because i'm not going to get the detached garage doors done tonight.  I was trying to think of a good name for this car and since i've been calling it the Cali Charger for a few days now maybe "Cali" is a good name.  I knew girl named Cali once, we were pretty good freinds my freshman year at Stout.  Oh those were the days..  :drool5:

And a comparison of a Charger 500 back light vs a regular Charger backlight.

Paul

MoparManJim

One headlamp is door is open. Like as if she is playing peak and boo.  :smilielol:

69bronzeT5

That's what I'm talking about!!! Oh and I love the name Cali. It suits her :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic