News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket air conditioning

Started by wingedone, August 06, 2009, 07:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingedone

No it's not for the bird, but...

Anyone have any input on aftermarket air conditioning systems for say a mid 60's car?

Any companies with good or bad reps?

Systems that work well or don't?

Thanks much.

PocketThunder

I used classic auto air  :2thumbs: in my 68 that i used to have.  That was a nice system but the duct work was cut to the exact lengths that you needed.  It would be nice if each piece was 1" longer.  or ask if they can just send you one long piece and you can cut it yourself.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

wingedone

Thanks!   :cheers:

Was this on a car that originally had air conditioning?

I was wondering about one of those under dash units for a car that did not come with A/C.

b5blue

Contact them they have tons of different kinds!  :2thumbs:

Blown70

Quote from: wingedone on August 06, 2009, 08:34:22 AM

I was wondering about one of those under dash units for a car that did not come with A/C.

They have a kit for both now I believe.   At first it was for non A/C  www.classicautoair.com

pettybird

i'm looking to do this next year to the B5 Superbird--I've had enough of the heat and we're never going to sell the car.  the classic auto air kit runs the A/C lines through the current heater holes and makes you cut two smaller ones for the A/C lines.  they're the only ones I know of with a Mopar-specific box--vintage air does a lot for street rods and GM's. 

Moparsky67

Another A/C mfg is Hot Rod Air @ www.hotrodair.com
All three make "Universal fit" type evaporators which
would be easier to fit a smaller evap unit under a dash. CAA's "Perfect Fit" OEM style evap is almost as big as the OEM unit. As "pettybird" said the CAA's "Perfect Fit" uses the OEM heater hose pass thrus for the AC lines & more holes must be drilled for the heater lines, some folks may balk at that.

Check out the "Plum Floored" Super Bee at the link below, you can almost see in one photo how they routed the lines thru the top of the passenger side fenderwell, the dryer was mounted in the front part of that area.

One could use a Bouchillon Performance A/C compressor bracket (part # BPE4715) that mounts a Sanden "shorty" comp underneath the alternator. As I understand, you have to use an elect fuel pump. May give a more a cleaner look. This is what I hope to do for my B-body.

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEACmountingbrackets.asp

http://www.plumfloored.com/bee_build_pics2.htm

John

http://www.plumfloored.com/bee_build_pics2.htm

PocketThunder

Quote from: wingedone on August 06, 2009, 08:34:22 AM

Original Non-AC car.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Street Teacher

I used the classic auto air ( perfect fit ) unit in my 69 road runner convertible non air dash car.    I installed it in one weekend, the only holes that i had to drill was for new heater hoses. the existing holes for the heater hoses were used for the new a/c lines. The a/c lines that are in the engine compartment used all the existing holes and routing holes that were already there. The under dash unit replaces the original factory under dash heater unit.
The switch controls above the radio you will reuse with new switch and new cables in the stock unit. The duct work comes with all hardware and mounting pieces. The new unit comes complete with picture by picture instructions. They also include a template for drilling the new heater hose location.
All mounting bolts,brackets,pulleys,belts come with the kit. The a/c blows VERY COLD AIR,  36 degrees.  :cheers: It's been in the car now over 6 years and have not had any problems with it. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to put air in there car.  :2thumbs:

Stan

pettybird

Quote from: Street Teacher on August 16, 2009, 04:20:12 PM
I used the classic auto air ( perfect fit ) unit in my 69 road runner convertible non air dash car.    I installed it in one weekend, the only holes that i had to drill was for new heater hoses. the existing holes for the heater hoses were used for the new a/c lines. The a/c lines that are in the engine compartment used all the existing holes and routing holes that were already there. The under dash unit replaces the original factory under dash heater unit.
The switch controls above the radio you will reuse with new switch and new cables in the stock unit. The duct work comes with all hardware and mounting pieces. The new unit comes complete with picture by picture instructions. They also include a template for drilling the new heater hose location.
All mounting bolts,brackets,pulleys,belts come with the kit. The a/c blows VERY COLD AIR,  36 degrees.  :cheers: It's been in the car now over 6 years and have not had any problems with it. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to put air in there car.  :2thumbs:

Stan

Hey Stan--Doug Croxford here--you'll like this board a lot. 

Street Teacher

Hey Doug   :wave:  old buddy ,  old pal

Great to hear from you.  Thanks for the shoutout.

If you have any questions that i can help out with, let me know.   

moparstuart

Quote from: Street Teacher on August 16, 2009, 11:10:44 PM
Hey Doug   :wave:  old buddy ,  old pal

Great to hear from you.  Thanks for the shoutout.

If you have any questions that i can help out with, let me know.   
:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Street Teacher