News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spot repair/paint blemishes

Started by sanders7981, June 26, 2014, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

I had a couple places that needed another coat of paint due to chips or me dinging something into the paint while working on the car, once I repaired them I ended up with stains around the edges of the repair.  I prepped the area, primed it, wet sanded the area, wiped it down with prep-all cleaner, then masked and sprayed.  I then wet sanded the edges down, then cleared over it.  Ending up with the below paint blemish just in front if the mirror above the body line.  It's not from the primer because after wetsanding the primer only covers about a quarter-sized or less area.  Of this particular area, it is worse on the corners.  I got the same results on the passenger sail panel area around the edges.  

So my question is what am I doing wrong?

bill440rt

Don't wet sand the basecoat edges before you clear it. By doing so you basically sanded away the "fade". Now it's more noticeable due to the hard edge. Prep what you have again, blend the basecoat once more, & clear again.
Sherwin-Williams also makes a nice convenient blend melting solvent in a spray can, it's designed to "melt-in" the clearcoat when doing spot repairs.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

It's hard to spot such a small area. I wouldn't sand the base paint edges before clearing. I'd remove mirror. Scuff whole top of door. Backtape at bodyline. Spot paint again & dont sand edges. Clear whole top of door end to end. If you backtape it right you can rub off the small tape edge line at body line & it will be un noticible if done right. My 2 cents, others may vary? :Twocents: :shruggy: :scratchchin: LEON.

bill440rt

Here's a link to the blend solvent, comes either sprayable with a gun in quarts or available in spray can form:

http://apps.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=BS10

This is good to use as Leon describes when blending clear within an existing panel.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sanders7981

Thanks for the advice.  I'll look into getting some of that blender to help out.  My other option was to just spray the SS acrylic enamel and then clear over it if I couldn't figure this out. 

hemi-hampton

Heres the blender I use. It comes in aerosole spraycan or sprayable gallon, ect. Probably at least 10 different companies making there own variation of it. I use the aerosole on small spots & gun spayable on bigger spots. I used the aerosole on todays bumper spot job. LEON.

sanders7981

:2thumbs: thanks.  I'll have to look into getting a can of that.  I am going to try to tackle this before I move in two weeks... If not, I'll have to put it on the back burner until I get some time.

Canadian1968

As the others said, sanding your base coat was your mistake.   And also, as mentioned the smaller you go the harder it gets !! The bigger the blend the easier it is.