News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GO MANGO Trunk

Started by hemi-hampton, August 06, 2009, 09:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Wow.  ::)  Well, you know me well enough by now Leon... and I realize what you do is exactly what the owner wants. :rotz: But with a superb undercarriage detail job like that.... I would never, EVER, cover that masterpiece with undercoat.  :eek2:  I realize the owner wanted a nice pro touring driver and not a restored show car. He's the ultimate decision maker - and this will certainly serve him well in that regard.

Obviously, if it (was me) writing the big checks -  I would have left it alone!  :Twocents: :Twocents:  In the end, for what its worth, I think you did a beautiful job detailing the undercarriage and duplicating the factory primer/misted paint look for a restored show car - especially considering the depths of hell this car came from before you started.  :2thumbs:  Nice work!

You're the first in line to restore my car when I'm ready  ----just leave the undercoating off please. :D

tan top

looking Good Leon !! nice work  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargergirl

Great work! That is one beautiful car.
Trust your Woobie!

hemi-hampton

Tuffcat, This car wasn't primered or overspray misted for any kind of correctness, undercarriage blasted to bare metal & then self etch Washed Primed & Epoxy Primed to protect the bare metal. Then undercoated for heavy use & abuse protection. Painted undercarriages or factory primered undercarriages are fine for rarely driven trailer queens but not something you would want on a Heavily used Driver. This guys on a tight budget.  Also, some factory cars were 100% undercoated. It's known as a J55 Option. That 69 Roadrunner I just restored had that option. Let me know when your Car is Ready. :scratchchin:  LEON.

hemi-hampton

69*F5*SE

The car looks great Leon  :2thumbs:  I remember seeing it when it was just a shell when I came to the shop. 

mopar73

Looks great Leon :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  What did you use for undercoating?  I just did my 73 the other day and used Alsliner bedliner which turned out great.  I plan on driving the Wee out of mine and wanted durability.

Silver R/T

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 24, 2010, 09:13:20 PM
Tuffcat, This car wasn't primered or overspray misted for any kind of correctness, undercarriage blasted to bare metal & then self etch Washed Primed & Epoxy Primed to protect the bare metal. Then undercoated for heavy use & abuse protection. Painted undercarriages or factory primered undercarriages are fine for rarely driven trailer queens but not something you would want on a Heavily used Driver. This guys on a tight budget.  Also, some factory cars were 100% undercoated. It's known as a J55 Option. That 69 Roadrunner I just restored had that option. Let me know when your Car is Ready. :scratchchin:  LEON.

Good job Leon. I agree, why would you leave undercoating off, so it will rust in next 10-15 years? Of course if he drives it on sunny 90F days.... Still considering all the rocks/dirt/moisture getting on bare primer. Primer alone is not enough to protect undercoating.
I'm sure glad my Charger was undercoated from factory. There's zero rust under undercoating. On spots they did miss undercoating (quarter panel wheel lip) there is rust.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Some more Pics on a old Subject. LEON.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

hemi-hampton

New Gas Tank

bill440rt

Looking really, REALLY nice Leon!!  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

Unfortunately I had to quite that shitty job (body shop, not car) before I got the job Finished. Was using a body shop to do my resto's & the owner was a total Idiot that totally screwed me over. Those recent pics are over a year old. Owner is a Mechanic & is finishing up with Motor & interior install. Plus he was out of Money. LEON.

TUFCAT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 24, 2010, 09:13:20 PM

I still go back to my previous quote....."you're the first in line to restore my car when I'm ready"  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

New floor pics. Like I said. Low budget. LEON.

bakerhillpins

WOW... just caught this thread. Great work Leon.   :yesnod:

Not sure I want to know what big budget is.  :eek2:  :lol:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

hemi-hampton

After Paint & body work owner took it home do install the Motor & Interior himself. That was 3 years ago. I just stopped by his house to look at it & his progress about 3 weeks ago. After 3 years, he has the Motor & Trans in & Interior but still needs Convertible Top installed. I did not get a pic of it since he was in a rush to go out with the wife, I stopped by unexpectantly. Looked good though. LEON.

hemi-hampton

After 5 years I finally got to see the car on the road today at Detroits Downriver Cruise on Fort Street. I guess after I quite the shop the Mechanic put the motor in at our shop & then he took it home to finish it himself. Owner is a Mechanic by Profession on large trucks. He put in the Interior, Dash, Windshield, Misc engine compartment parts ect, ect & got it running & driving. Took him 4 years & he still needs parts like convertible top boot & chrome, Wipers, Antenna, ect. Some parts he put on not correct but he doesn't care. Car & color is not original anyways. Color looks good in the Sun :o :drool5: :icon_smile_tongue: LEON.

TUFCAT

There's also no rocker, wheel lip moldings, or d-o-d-g-e letters on the decklid. I guess he's going for the stripped down look?  :eek2:

The color looks very good!  :drool5:

hemi-hampton

Some more pics. LEON.

hemi-hampton

More pics. :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

more :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Looks better now then this :scratchchin:

TUFCAT

He obviously spent lots of money to have nice paint and body work not to finish it correctly. :shruggy:  :eek2: ...and those seats! :smilie_help:

JB400

I think you'd still drive it though