News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

movement on rear axle?

Started by psykicpup, July 30, 2005, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psykicpup

1973 se rallye brougham :icon_smile:
When on axle stands with the wheels clear of the ground so they run free, is it normal to have some play in and out ie towards & away from the car? ???
we're talking just few mill ........
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Ghoste

Yes.  There is a spec for axle endplay that you check with a dial indicator when you replace your axles.

psykicpup

DFPA and proud of it!

Chryco Psycho

which diff do you have in your car ? 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 ?

psykicpup

not sure ..its completely stock..numbers matching right down to the paint

DFPA and proud of it!

Ghoste

Is there a cover on the rear of the axle housing or is it one piece and you remove the differential assembly from the front of the housing?

KMPX2

If it is a 8 3/4 it is easy to adjust

psykicpup

Quote from: Ghoste on July 30, 2005, 12:50:45 PM
Is there a cover on the rear of the axle housing or is it one piece and you remove the differential assembly from the front of the housing?

think it come out the front

DFPA and proud of it!

KMPX2

Chryco Psycho

an 8 3/4 should have .010 end play there is a threaded nut on the rigth axle to adjust this

Crazy440

If it is a 8 3/4, with the locking nut, on the right axle.   Make sure it has the locking pin, that keeps the nut from moving, once the end play is set.   It mounts to one of the bolts.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

Chryco Psycho

if it has a 9 1/4 diff the end play can be a lot more as the style of axle brg doesn`t limit side travel like the tapered roller used in the 8 3/4

psykicpup

Cheers guys will pass that all on to Hubby as he's the one would does the work on the car- I usually just polish & hold things lol

DFPA and proud of it!

Ghoste

We should all be so lucky as to have a wife who will polish and hold things.