News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Drip Rail Padding

Started by Rustymuscle, August 17, 2009, 11:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustymuscle

Update:

I just got in the mail and installed the "Restorations by Rick" foam seal and there's a couple problems. First, the seal is too dang wide, like over a 1/4-inch too wide. And it's also about 3-inches too short. What I had to do was slowly apply the adhesive side without pressing down on the extra width hanging over the edge. Then, with a fresh razor blade, I trimmed off the excess, measured two lengths and cut up two smaller strips to fill in the missing 3-inches.

Just FYI, fellas.
-Kevin
1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 535ci Wedge, 727 w/ GV, Dana 60
1970 Dodge Super Bee
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT HEMI

RestoRick

New to the board, so this reply is late...

Kevin, you should've contacted me!!
I would've been happy to send another.

The width is intentionally wide and the supplied instructions
explain how to trim it with the new razor blade provided.

Thanks,
Rick

Dino

I'm bringing this one back from the vault.

Is this grey foam strip in place of weatherstrip adhesive ie the foam strip glues the seal to the trim or do I still need a tube of adhesive?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

richRTSE

Quote from: Dino on September 04, 2012, 11:56:05 AM

Is this grey foam strip in place of weatherstrip adhesive ie the foam strip glues the seal to the trim or do I still need a tube of adhesive?

No, this foam goes on the back side of the stainless (between the trim and the roof) then the trim gets screwed to the car. Also, its been a while since I did my car, but I don't think I used any adhesive (maybe just on the ends  :scratchchin: ) on the black roofrail weatherstripping, it kinda just locks in to the metal trim and holds itself there...

Dino

Quote from: richRTSE on September 04, 2012, 11:09:55 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 04, 2012, 11:56:05 AM

No, this foam goes on the back side of the stainless (between the trim and the roof) then the trim gets screwed to the car. Also, its been a while since I did my car, but I don't think I used any adhesive (maybe just on the ends  :scratchchin: ) on the black roofrail weatherstripping, it kinda just locks in to the metal trim and holds itself there...

Oh I see, it's a seal for the trim, not the weatherstripping.  That makes sense.  The trim does hold the weatherstripping nicely so I would think a few drops of adhesive would be plenty.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HeavyFuel

I just cleaned up my orginal moulding rails yesterday, and they also had a thin strip of grey putty at the sharp corner, between the black foam and the rail.  It was about 8 inches long (4 inches on each side of the corner).

It looked like it was intended to fill the gap created by the joint of the two rails at the corner.

I used grey rope putty from the hardware store, 4 strips laid side by side and pressed flat. I then used two-faced tape to hold the black foam until the whole assy got screwed into place.  I don't think the screws should be tightened down until the windows are in place, so that a final position adjustment can be made to the rail/moulding.