News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

About to start back after 3 1/2 years!

Started by Bulldog69RT, August 22, 2009, 11:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog69RT

When I was 15 I saved up about 1200 bucks to buy a 69 dodge charger. I found one on Yahoo in Fayetteville, TN (i lived in GA) for $2500. It was a '69 Dodge Charger R/T with a 400 and 727 out of a '71 charger. The floors were gone, the trunk was gone and the tail-light panel was like a sponge. The guy gave me all of the interior, chrome, rear glass, full quarters, bumpers, and a buncha other little parts to complete my dream. Me and my Grandpa started working on the car, he taught me how to do body work and I spent days on just one body panel. I started working at the feed store in town to pay for parts. I ordered full floor pans, trunk floors, and paint, bondo and fiberglass. I sandblasted the entire interior, replaced the floorpans with my grandpa and he replaced the trunk pans. The car was sanded and primed from the front fenders to the doors and the floors and interior painted black. We found the rear half of a '70 charger in a local junkyard and my grandpa cut the tail-light panel out of it. I joined the army when i was 18 and the car has pretty much sat on blocks since then. I get out of the army next month and im moving back to the south. I started ordering parts again this week and hopefully my grandpa's parkinsens will let us finish the car. Its been 4 years. Heres some pics... I ordered the RH trunk extension to finish the trunk on friday. Next to get ordered is a rear valance.

'69 Charger R/T. Restoration in progress...

b5blue

Good Luck to ya Bulldog! Looks like you and Grandpa have made a good start! Thanks for your service to our Country also  :cheers: My uncle has Parkinson also an we get together and work on his place, just make sure he takes his meds ontime and pace things out with break times now and then. It's great to have you two working on the Charger together!  :2thumbs: Keep us posted.   

68X426

Bulldog, sir, thank you. Welcome home.

I wish you all the success in the world with the Charger and hope grandpa can keep up with you for a long, long time. 

What driveline are you planning for?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Silver R/T

cool project. Nice that you're driven to restore car. Most kids these days want latest model car and then put some speakers and rims on them and that's their "project" I admire anyone who puts time/effort into restoring a classic.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Thank You sir for being in the services.
Great story and look forward to many more pictures.  Follow it through, your grandpa will be thrilled.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Belgium R/T -68

Welcome here :cheers: There's a lot that can be learned from the members on this forum if you need help. :2thumbs:
I'm a living example of this. :lol:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

400/6/PAC

Yes
Thank You for serving
good luck on Your project. :2thumbs:

Bulldog69RT

I really appreciate yalls comments! Im pretty darn exited to get down there and get started! My grandpa has tons of step-by-step pictures on floppy discs in his computer desk at home. Once i get down there ill be able to post alot of awesome detailed pictures!
Im planning on pulling the 400 and the 727 out and selling it this winter sometime. Once I get the bodywork done and painted and put the glass in, Im gonna do the suspension. Dunno what im gonna go with, brands etc.., but its what im gonna do. Then I want to buy a 440 shortblock and fresh 727 and start building the 440. Aluminum heads, cam, etc.. I want the body to look as it did from the factory, that same green color w/o the R/T stripe, just the emblem. And the interior the same as stock, but I want a ratchet shifter!  :2thumbs: Ill definitely come on here and ask advice as I go, my grandpa is a mustang guy. Ive got a few more pics ill post in a few

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Bulldog69RT on August 22, 2009, 04:26:16 PM
I really appreciate yalls comments! Im pretty darn exited to get down there and get started! My grandpa has tons of step-by-step pictures on floppy discs in his computer desk at home. Once i get down there ill be able to post alot of awesome detailed pictures!
Im planning on pulling the 400 and the 727 out and selling it this winter sometime. Once I get the bodywork done and painted and put the glass in, Im gonna do the suspension. Dunno what im gonna go with, brands etc.., but its what im gonna do. Then I want to buy a 440 shortblock and fresh 727 and start building the 440. Aluminum heads, cam, etc.. I want the body to look as it did from the factory, that same green color w/o the R/T stripe, just the emblem. And the interior the same as stock, but I want a ratchet shifter!  :2thumbs: Ill definitely come on here and ask advice as I go, my grandpa is a mustang guy. Ive got a few more pics ill post in a few
" A Mustang guy "   Now why did you have to go ruin everything?     :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Bulldog69RT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 22, 2009, 05:26:14 PM
Quote from: Bulldog69RT on August 22, 2009, 04:26:16 PM
" A Mustang guy "   Now why did you have to go ruin everything?     :icon_smile_wink:

Oh I get that all the time. My grandpa tells me "If you would have wanted a mustang, you wouldnt have had to buy any parts and we could have got it done in no time. But you had to fall for a Mopar." Haha. Ill probably restore a '65 mustang one of these days. I definitely have the resources.

The70RT

Enjoy your build. You will find out you can build 3 65 Mustangs compared to one second gen Charger. Repo Mustang stuff is cheap.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bulldog69RT

I found this picture this morning. You can just see how much work Ive got ahead of me. :eek2:

And heres a picture of the trunk. Its just dusty, cleaned up it looks pretty good. The RH Trunk Extension came in the mail Saturday.

Matthan

b5blue

You will do just fine one step at a time.... :2thumbs:

Bulldog69RT

I've been working on the car alot lately. An hour or two a day. I got the fenders and hood off. The upper cowl cut out and I pulled the engine and transmission yesterday. Thats my 13 month old helping me separate the transmission!  :2thumbs:

Steve@BentonMotorsports

what part of GA are you in I am in Marietta. I might have a motor trans for sale soon.
95 Firebird Formula project

74 Charger definate project

nvrbdn

good pic's great start on your project.thanks for your service. now its time to do something else. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Cooter

Keep your head up Bulldog, and keep your eye on the prize. Takes one helluva person to hold on to a dream like you have. I know all to well how it feels to know you have alot of work ahead..Thank You for service.
Think yours is bad? Check Dis out...A Camaro I'm doing for my Cousin. Where there's a will, there's a way. Lemme know if I can help 'ya. Gotta couple 440's layin round. Might even a have a 4-speed for it.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bulldog69RT

Ouch! That camaro is pretty rough!

I'm out in Washington State now. I hauled the Charger out here with me when I moved. And I just bought a house, with my own garage finally! So Im now able to work on it. Im thinking of building a stroker out of the 400. not 100% though, Im still sleeping on it.

RallyeMike

QuoteI'm out in Washington State now.

Welcome to WA.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Bulldog69RT

Rochester, WA... 20 minutes south of Olympia.

Steve@BentonMotorsports

oh thats cool i have some adopted family out there. i lived out there IN late 80' and early 90's and visited every summer up until 1998. I lived in marysville , everett , and Mukilteo. There is a great little lake on the western side of the state with good lake trout and a type of lake salmon fishing.
95 Firebird Formula project

74 Charger definate project

Finn

Good to see you're still cranking on it!! What's your plan for it? Back to stock or doing some mods?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Bulldog69RT

It will look stock inside and out, just a little bit wider wheels and 15's. Beef up the motor/trans and suspension. Still debating on the color. I was wanting to go back with the ol F5 green but lately Ive been seeing some other colors catching my eye. I dont know, Im sure Ill change my mind a few more times before I paint it.