News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Name-Brand DOT3 fluid?

Started by zstalker, November 20, 2005, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zstalker

does anyone know if there is any difference between name brand brake fluid or the "brand-x" super-generic fluid sold side by side at the parts store?  I need to bleed my brakes ('97 Corolla) and I want to go cheap, but I don't want to be dumpung garbage into my system...  thanks in advance...
~Erik~
This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.
I was wrong.
This changes everything.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Is a couple of bucks even worth questioning your safety?

ON another note.......good question.  I thought brake fluid was brake fluid.  Just like dino oil is dino oil.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Silver R/T

use synthetic brake fluid, most common brand like prestone
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

any dot 3 brake fluid has to meet the minimum spec so really I doubt it matters 

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 20, 2005, 06:51:48 PM
use synthetic brake fluid, most common brand like prestone
I doubt synthetic will mix with DOT3 & he probably doesn't want to flush the whole system.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Silver R/T

I think synthetic will mix just fine but not dot 3 &4 since theyre different and system will gel up
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

dot 5 needs to have the system flushed to use it

Plumcrazy

Use the name brand brake fluid.   The cheapie stuff may have started out the same as the name brand but you don't know how carefull the no name company was to keep the fluid from being contaminated with moisture or other things.

If the car has antilock brakes do not use DOT 5 (silicone fluid) in it.     Stay with DOT 3
DOT 5 fluid can become aerated during the rapid brake pulsations and pump operation that occur during an ABS stop.

There is a DOT 5.1 non silicone brake fluid that is compatable with ABS brakes but that's all I know about it.   Probably expensive

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

zstalker

well, went and got Prestone Synthetic DOT3 fluid.   I was actually flushing the whole system, so switching wasn't a huge issue.   The car recommends DOT3, so I was comfortable using synthetic.   I talked to my teacher (fortunately taking a 'Brakes and Wheels' class on my way to an Auto Tech degree and ASE Certification), and he said that yes, both no-name and top-of-the-line meet DOT3 standards, but name brand may exceed the standard.   This is the same with everything from gasoline to motor oil.   if it says that it meets a certain standard, it does...but some exceed the standard by more than others.   Many perks of a product beyond that are appealing packaging and clever marketing (Techron...i.e. the same detergants everyone else uses, but Chevron gave it a catchy name)
As I'm one who can perform the flush myself, spending the extra $1 for name-brand synthetic was an acceptable expence.
This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.
I was wrong.
This changes everything.