News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Urban Legend Superbird/Daytona in Cascade WI?

Started by 1BAD68, September 02, 2009, 11:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Years ago I heard this story about a body shop not far from me that had a 69 Daytona 440/4 speed car that they repaired some front end damage on.
The story goes that the owner of the car didn't pay for repairs and the car sat, then the shop sold the car to a UPS driver for 10 grand some time in the 90's after the UPS driver had seen it sitting in the back and asked about it.
Anyway, I was talking to a guy the other day that works at a shop here in Sheboygan and he basically told me the same story except that it was a Superbird.
Anyone know about this, or is it just an urban legend?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

terrible one

This reminds me of a bit of an urban legend about a Superbird in the area I used to live. When I was 15 or 16 my girlfriend at the time got me and her dad talking about cars. He knows what he is talking about and has owned dozens of classics over the years. He is who first helped me when I was trying to find a project. Anyways, not only did he tell me about a Superbird that the guy drove into his house before going to prison or something and boarded it all up, but he was able to show me a bit of proof. Sure enough there was a totally dilapidated house a few miles out of everyone's way and while you couldn't see a car, there were parts everywhere including the sides of a Superbird wing. The place was a complete mess. I wasn't knowledgeable enough to know that was really amazing and worth pursuing. But I know I saw them sitting up against a transmission and will always remember the Superbird decals on the wing pieces.

BrianShaughnessy

All Daytonas become Superbirds in any urban legend.

While IMHO the Daytona is sexiest...  the Superbird name is easier to remember.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

41husk

I spent 10 years in the Navy and I am relativley sure someone in every state knows of a Hemi SuperBird in a barn belonging to a person killed in vietnam and the parents have never driven or started since the death, but the car is just to painfull of a memory to ever sell :scratchchin: :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

beware the sleeper

oh dang, is that what that thing in my shed is......it came with the house.....maybe i should start it up.

nah the story i keep hearing around here, cause its florida, is about the 95 year old who kept his superbird in mint condition, and when he passed he had no one to leave it to, so the state auctioned it off for 3 grand.

68X426

Wasn't Jimmy Hoffa last seen driving a Superbird?  (Michigan)

Wasn't D.B. Cooper last seen driving a Superbird?  (Oregon)

Wasn't Amelia Earhart last seen driving a Superbird?  (South Pacific)

There's got to be more!  :D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

PocketThunder

Quote from: 68X426 on September 02, 2009, 02:31:39 PM
Wasn't Jimmy Hoffa last seen driving a Superbird?  (Michigan)

Wasn't D.B. Cooper last seen driving a Superbird?  (Oregon)

Wasn't Amelia Earhart last seen driving a Superbird?  (South Pacific)

There's got to be more!  :D

You forgot Elvis!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dave Kanofsky

Wasn't Al Capone's get-a-way car a Superbird?  (Illinois)
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

1969chargerrtse

What about the old lady that opened up her garage door to read "Chevrolet" on the back of the old 53 or 54 vette and listed it for 500.00 as a Chevrolet.  No really, my cousin knows the person!!   :blahblah:
If I meet one more person to tell me that story.    :coocoo:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

And they all had a 60 mpg carb on them that the owner cobbled together in his basement workshop but the Big 3/Big Oil conglomerate came along and made him an offer he couldn't refuse and then destroyed the carb.

wetfeetmi

Laugh if you must, but I have seen the Vietnam Superbird here in S.W. Michigan. It is a 440 six-pac 4 speed bucket seat car. It is the first Superbird I actually had the pleasure of sitting in! It needs a resto, but it is running and complete. It is of course "not for sale". I drive past the house every day on my way to work. This is for real, but I know the skeptics will sneer. Rick

Ghoste

This skeptic isn't sneering, I realize there are still a fair number of those cars out there.  The fact is though, the similar stories outnumber the actual cars.

TheAutoArchaeologist

There are a few Superbirds in Barns in IL... and one Daytona I know of.

I will get to the bottom of the Daytona though!

Blown70

Quote from: Ghoste on September 02, 2009, 11:20:32 PM
And they all had a 60 mpg carb on them that the owner cobbled together in his basement workshop but the Big 3/Big Oil conglomerate came along and made him an offer he couldn't refuse and then destroyed the carb.

Funny in the stories I hear its 100mpg...... :shruggy: :smilielol: