News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

will a dark gray show body flaws bad?

Started by 1968_Charger, September 03, 2009, 10:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

im looking at painting my car. i wanted black but its obviously going to show any imperfections. ive heard that silver is pretty forgiving, so im wondering if a dark gray, like eleanor, would be good to use.
what do you guys think?

mopar_nut_440_6

Any dark color will show more flaws than a light color but why not spend the extra time and get the car straight. If you cannot get it straight enough find somebody who can and spend the extra money to make it nice. It will be worth it in the long run.

I can get my cars pretty straight but do not do bodywork and paint for a living so I always hire a friend to help with with the final prep on the jobs I want "perfect", or as close as we can get it. This generally only takes us an extra 8 hours on a complete car and only costs me a couple hundred bucks but is money well spent. Bear in mind, my prep is pretty close by the time I call him.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

68X426

IMO: Dark gray (and dark burgandy) shows everything, every bit as much as black. Haven't seen a gray paint job, when it looks great, that doesn't show everything. Awesome color on a Charger anyway.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Rolling_Thunder

Here's a pic of a Charger I helped build - dark grey and I can attest that EVERY body flaw is evident - probably even more so than black

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

elitecustombody

Quote from: 1968_Charger on September 03, 2009, 10:21:25 PM
im looking at painting my car. i wanted black but its obviously going to show any imperfections. ive heard that silver is pretty forgiving, so im wondering if a dark gray, like eleanor, would be good to use.
what do you guys think?

bad idea,just spend the extra time and get it done right,regardless of the color

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Matthan

hemi-hampton

Silver R/T

why bother painting a car if it's not straight? Might as well throw some flat black primer on there and call it good until you're ready to do it right
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 04, 2009, 11:09:21 PM
You could always paint it white :scratchchin:

Hey...     Not all white cars have flaws!    :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1968_Charger

well im planning on getting it as straight as i can, but im no professional. im on a really tight budget and havent done alot of bodywork myself so im sure there wil be minor stuff. but if you guys are saying that the gray is just as bad as black i might primer it black and see how it looks, then make a decision from there. id take my time but i dont have a garage to work in and winter is coming fast. plus i miss driving it.
ill let you guys know the outcome. should be done in the next couple weeks.

Mike DC

Just my two cents:  

If you don't genuinely care about the finish issues YOURSELF, then I say fuck the perfection and paint it however you want.  The finish can always be redone later if the steel underneath was done acceptably.

If the panels are all solid then just spray it with something that looks decent to the eyes of a non-bodyguy and get on with your life.  You don't owe it to the rest of the world to only have a vintage Charger if the block sanding is perfect.  

1968_Charger

well i did one of my front fenders in flat black primer today. looks way better that the gray primer and to me doesnt show imperfections as bad either. i originally wanted to paint the charger flat black, and after seeing what i could do myself i think i might just do it. now if i paint the car with flat black primer and get it looking as good as i want it to, can i just clear over it if i decide to keep it like that? or will i need to use a real flat black paint on top of the black primer then clear it?
remember, im on a tighter than tight budget.

BMOTOXSTAR

White man, white to hide schotty body work...like this hack job for example. :icon_smile_blackeye:
This turd even has the flat black hood.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

hemi-hampton

Dont clear Primer. Black base will be somewhat flat until you clear it. If you want it to stay flat then dont clear it, clearing it will make it glossy unless you add a flattening agent to clear. I beleive they make a flat single stage paint called HOT ROD black. Your best bet if you want that flat look. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 12, 2009, 11:25:02 PM
Dont clear Primer. Black base will be somewhat flat until you clear it. If you want it to stay flat then dont clear it, clearing it will make it glossy unless you add a flattening agent to clear. I beleive they make a flat single stage paint called HOT ROD black. Your best bet if you want that flat look. LEON.

I agree ,with one exception. Use a premixed flat clear instead of a singlestage. Its alot easier to get it nice and even,unlike most of the single stage flat colors or black.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1968_Charger

im really liking the flat black, and the areas i thought would look bad acctually arent really noticable. so what you guys are suggesting is i go with a flat black basecoat. and leave it at that?
1hotdaytona, you mentioned a premixed flat clear, so thats a basecoat/clearcoat except the base is flat? do you have an example of this. thanks

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1968_Charger on September 13, 2009, 03:05:56 PM
im really liking the flat black, and the areas i thought would look bad acctually arent really noticable. so what you guys are suggesting is i go with a flat black basecoat. and leave it at that?
1hotdaytona, you mentioned a premixed flat clear, so thats a basecoat/clearcoat except the base is flat? do you have an example of this. thanks

you use regular base coat,then clear it with the pre-mixed flat clear.

PPG has a good one called 2060 flexed n flat.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

1968_Charger

ok so i buy regular gloss black base, and then that clear and it will dull the black and provide clear coat protection?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1968_Charger on September 13, 2009, 03:38:05 PM
ok so i buy regular gloss black base, and then that clear and it will dull the black and provide clear coat protection?

Correct. And with the flat clear it dries down VERY even. If you have ever seen a flat black painted surface that looked striped.....Thats a failed single stage flat finish most likely.

1968_Charger

awesome. i think ill be going that route.
thanks alot!

Landonsrt

Quote from: 1968_Charger on September 05, 2009, 10:18:39 PM
well im planning on getting it as straight as i can, but im no professional. im on a really tight budget and havent done alot of bodywork myself so im sure there wil be minor stuff. but if you guys are saying that the gray is just as bad as black i might primer it black and see how it looks, then make a decision from there. id take my time but i dont have a garage to work in and winter is coming fast. plus i miss driving it.
ill let you guys know the outcome. should be done in the next couple weeks.

Do the best you can. Then save up to have someone finish it. Dont waste money on something that your not going to be happy with down the road.