News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Riddle me this one...

Started by 68RRFlyer, September 02, 2009, 05:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68RRFlyer

Here's a pretty perplexing predicament.  I converted my 69 Charger to a 4spd over the past few days.   I used the setup out of my 68 Road Runner.  The NSS on the automatic was handled like this:  3 pronged wire- inner wire grounded to frame and outer two wires connected to the backup light switch.  Car started right up.  after about 1 minute run time, the starter engaged again and would not shut off even with the key off and the engine off.  You could hear the starter turning but it wasn't engaged to the flywheel.  I pulled the + battery cable to kill it.  Tried it again and this time it was OK.  Now after a few times aroud the block it does it again.  I replaced the ignition switch with a new 69 conversion one that Year One sells so you can use a 68 key.  New starter also.  I actually had to ground part of the starter down as it hits the driver's side 2bbl exhaust manifold.  So with a new starter, new ignition switch, and the NSS wired up the way I have it, WHAT's THE DEAL????  Why does the friggin starter rengage itself sometimes and not others?  Any thoughts???  Thanks.

Cheers  :cheers:   
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

RECHRGD

Maybe an intermentant short on the wire from the nss to the relay?   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

68RRFlyer

This never happened when I had the automatic installed.  I guess I could sand down the ground a little better on the one connection, but it seems odd it'd happen after I put a new starter on.  Any other thoughts?  The starter is in contact with the exhaust manifold bolt (where it meets the Y-pipe connection), but I'm not sure that makes a difference. 

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

c00nhunterjoe

something is applying power to the solonoid, its a simple circuit on these cars, just trace to see where the power is coming from

68RRFlyer

Would a bad starter relay do that?  Seems like something must be sending voltage to the starter, but from where?  With a new ignition switch, what else could be the culprit?  Power to the starter comes from only one spot; the igniton switch through the relay.  Still stumped.  Weird thing is this had NOTHING to do with the 4spd conversion.  Of course, that's half the fun of classic cars! :2thumbs:

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100

TylerCharger69

That happened to me before....Automatic 727 though.....it was the starter relay located just underneath the wire harness junction block just to the left side of the brake booster.  Not saying theres where your problem lies....but a good possibility.

68RRFlyer

Fixed. ;D  I bought a starter from a 96 Dakota Sport 5.2 (318) and with plenty of space now between the starter and the manifold, there's no more issues.  Apparently by some deductive reasoning, I guess the starter was touching the post on part of the area I ground down for clearance to the bolt on the exhaust manifold and that was causing an intermitent short which, in turn, would send some volts to the starter that was enough to turn it over but not engage the pinion.  Just really odd.  Never in a jillion years would I think that would be the problem.  But it was, and it's fixed.  If anyone ever runs into something like that, there's the answer!  And now with excessive voltage and amps being drawn through the system, the middle alternator feed on the bulkhead connector is now melted.  So that leads me into my next question posted in the electrical system.  Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! :2thumbs:

Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1949 Chevy 3100