News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motorhome 727 vs car 727...

Started by Tilar, September 06, 2009, 06:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

Anything different between the two? Maybe more clutches in the motorhome tranny vs the one from the car?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

I think more clutches and also a 4 gear planetary system instead of the normal 3 gear in our cars....it should work if the dimensions are all the same

chargerbr549

I rebuilt one for a motorhome few years ago and it didn't have a rear slip yoke, it had a bolt on rear yoke. I don't know if all of them had them but make sure. I think you would have to change the output shaft as well as the tailshaft housing to make it work in a car but I'm not 100% sure.

Kevin

Tilar

I noticed the yoke and emergency brake setup so I know that would have to be changed. I have an opportunity to get one for next to nothing plus pulling it out. Engine is already out so it wouldn't take but a few minutes. I'm debating on putting in the 727 or an A512. Both of which I already have. My thinking was if I decided to go with the 727 and if the one from the motorhome had some heavier hardware than the one from a 72 Town and Country wagon then it would make sense in my way of thinking to get it if nothing more than the heavier cluthes and planetary like A383wing mentioned.

Ok if none of that made sense I'm blaming it on my first cup of coffee at 5:30 in the morning.  :lol:
Dave  

c00nhunterjoe

they are supposed to have the hemi drums and clutch packs in them so they are pretty beefy. i have one here i would like to get rid of....lol   only problem is the tailshaft lengths. you would have to disassemble it and swap the shaft from a car 727 into them.

mally69

a motorhome 727 that we have has a short tail shaft, and i might be wrong here but they might also have the low first gear.

John_Kunkel

The truck/motorhome 727 is internally the same as a HP big block passenger car transmission of the late sixties to early seventies.

Some things they do not have:

Lower gearsets
Hemi bands/drums
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mally69

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 07, 2009, 05:07:25 PM

The truck/motorhome 727 is internally the same as a HP big block passenger car transmission of the late sixties to early seventies.

Lower gearsets
Hemi bands/drums

What were the 727's that had the low first used for??

A383Wing

Quote from: mally69 on September 07, 2009, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 07, 2009, 05:07:25 PM

Lower gearsets
Hemi bands/drums

Some of the older motor homes ran the 225 slant six.....but I think those were front wheel drive...Cortez Motorhome if I remember correctly

John_Kunkel

There ain't no such thing, all 727's came with the 2.45/1.45 gearset.

Only the aftermarket has low gearsets for the 727.

mally69

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 08, 2009, 06:14:03 PM

There ain't no such thing, all 727's came with the 2.45/1.45 gearset.

Only the aftermarket has low gearsets for the 727.

Sorry man, i just remebered hearing somthing about about that once. I didnt know.  :coolgleamA:

Tilar

So is there really any benefit at all of getting this one from the motorhome over the one I got from the Town and Country wagon?
Dave  

John_Kunkel

For installation in a passenger car the motorhome trans will need a tail transplant so, unless you have the parts at hand, the MH isn't really a better choice price wise than the T&C wagon.

Tilar

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 09, 2009, 06:31:47 PM

For installation in a passenger car the motorhome trans will need a tail transplant so, unless you have the parts at hand, the MH isn't really a better choice price wise than the T&C wagon.

I guess what I'm asking is this: Since I already have the 727 from the Town and Country, and the A512 from the pickup truck, Would I have an advantage to get the one from the motorhome to use as parts to build either of these other transmissions to make a good strong tranny? Or should I use one of these others to build the motorhome tranny?  Remember I can get the motorhome tranny for next to nothing but I gotta pull it from the motorhome. The engine is already out of it.
Dave  

ACUDANUT

Won't work. Your tailshaft and Transmount will not bolt up.  You would have to combine two transmissions and use the longer tail for this to work.  Been there and done that, except I had to convert a truck SB 727 into a BB truck transmission. (the donor transmission was from a BB car trans).  It was a expensive conversion. (labor).

Tilar

I've heard so many people claim the motorhome tranny had more clutches in the drums and heavy duty hard parts compared to the car transmissions. Hell if it won't at least benefit me some better parts I'm going to leave it in the motorhome..

Thanks for the replies.  :2thumbs:
Dave