News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Going to look at a 69 Hemi 500 today (not to buy)

Started by Ghoste, November 25, 2005, 04:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Yeah its the first of the 69 500's. It is a beautiful car. Definately one that I'd love to have if I had the money. First of all because its a HEMI, then because its also a 4 speed. But mostly because of the cloth insert seats, and the power windows. And its a tri-color car as well. R4 exterior, black interior, white stripe.

hemi68charger

Was this the one that was at Hodges' Dodges?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

It was the Dodge News Bureau's car so it was all over the country.  When they were done with it, I believe it was sold to it's first private owner in New York State.  Am I right?

Charger_Fan

What a cool car, with such a cool history!

Do you have a digital camera on this year's Christmas wish list? :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

My wife has one.  I just have so much money tied up in my old 35mm that I never use it.

69_500

The car was in Chryslers ownership I believe until like 1972 or 1973. Then it was sold at auction, and Mike Russo wound up with the car. I believe that he had the car for close to 25 years. The next I heard it was in Harold Sullivans collection, then went to the current owner now.

Any ideas on what he is looking to get out of the car?
If your asking if its the same car that was at a dealership in Canada last year for sale, no its not the same car. This one is R4 red, the one that was at he dealership was R6 Red.

Shakey

Thanks for the lesson in Charger 500 history fellas!

I sure am glad I wasn't Mr. Cocky when I asked about the XS vs. XX VIN deal!

I imagine I would have looked like a fool if I came off with sumthin' like:

"Uh, excuse me guys, but if any of you so called Charger guys knew anything about Chargers then you would know that the 500's and the Daytona's VIN's start with XX, NOT XS!

This is a cool thread and the only way it could be any better is if there some pics!

While we are waiting, can you 500 owners post some pics of the parts of the car you were interested in seeing?

Ghoste

The pics will be here soon and I will get more on Wednesday.   As to the dealership question, no, he isn't asking about one in Canada.   Hodges Dodge was a Mopar dealer in Ferndale located on Woodward Avenue.   The Ramchargers ran their cars out of there.   It was Dodge's skunkworks garage on Woodward in the 60's.   The dealership still exists but in a new location and today they sell Suburu's.   The original location was a paint store or something like that the last time I went by and paid any attention.

69_500

I don't have any up close pictures of the rubber trim piece I was talking about earlier in the thread. Last time I checked out that car I do believe it still had the trim piece. I just didn't manage to remember to get a picture of it that day. I remember looking for it, but some how in the 4 rolls of film I shot of the car, I didn't get a picture of that. I didn't get any pictures of the backside of the grille either.

There are a few of the 500's that actually have XS on the VIN dash plate as well. They are down the line though, and weren't actually t he first one's produced. Not sure how that screw up happened but it did.

Ghoste

I did get some close up pics of the rubber and if they aren't what you are looking for, I can reshoot them.  I'll have access to the car for a little while.  I went out today and had a quick but better look at the vin and yes, it is XX.  I didn't doubt you, I just wanted to see for myself.  I'm sure you know what I mean if I try to explain about being fascinated by the small details.

Todd Wilson

Ghoste

Nope.  Dodge Division hubcaps and white stripe.

wingcars6970

The Mike Russo NY car .I believe was a magazine test car loaned by chysler public relatations .I have this VHS tape I got from a friend .With a 69 road test by Bud Lindeman severly flogging a red hemi charger 500.I wonder if thats the car on the tape.While were on 69 charger 500. There used to be one in my area. Known as Propane X 110615

Ghoste

Yes, that's the one we are talking about.  I forget if the Bud Lindeman car is this one.  I have that episode on tape and there were two cars. An auto and a four speed.  I am talking about the 4 gear car.
I have some old magazine pics of that propane car at the drags.

69_500

Is there anyway one of you guys could make a copy of that VHS tape for me? Just curious, but I would love to see it. Are you talking about the article where they are test driving a 4 speed and an automatic HEMI 500?

I haven't ever seen any more info on the Propane X car Dave. 110615.

Is the car pictures above the R6 red, 4 speed HEMI car that was for sale about a year ago?

Ghoste

wingcars6970

Ghoste

I can't.  Sorry.  I'm going back tonight to spend some more time with that car and I'm going to shoot some video but it won't very interesting to anyone.  Just walking around an old car sitting there parked.

69_500

If you could, could you get some detailed video of between the grille and the radiator core support for me. Like the backside of the grille. Just curious on how all that looks on his car. I thought that I had taken some pictures of it, but can't seem to find any of those area's. That and did it have the rubber on the grille?
Oh and on the underside of the hood, where the Hood comes down to meet up with the pads, does the hood have the squares there? I have seen some 69 cars with and some without. Just wondering if the 500's all have them or not.

Ghoste

It does have the rubber parts.  I shot a bunch of video up front but it was kind of general.  I didn't see your post until this morning so I'll review and go back if I need to.  I'll be there Friday as they are running a bunch of cars in a local Christmas parade so I'll be helping out with that.  (the 500 isn't one of them)

69_500

Are you able to divulge which auction house the car is going to be sold at? I'd be curious, if it was close enough I'd love to go.

Ghoste

It's RM and it will be at the auction held at Boca Raton in February.

69_500

Well I don't think I'll be able to make it to Boca Raton, I wish that I could. Just so that I could continue to follow the history of this car. I first saw this car in the mid 80's. This car had a build sheet in it to another HEMI 500, very early build date as well, that no one has ever been able to locate. Only difference in the two cars is that 110610 is a 4 speed the other car is an AUTOmatic. Which leaves me to guessing it was the other car in the Road and Track magazine article where they compared a HEMI 4 speed to an Automatic. Because both cars were the same exterior color and interior, and stripe.

Ghoste

It still has the wrong build sheet with the car.  The one it has is for a C5X interior as well.

69_500

I wasn't aware that the buildsheet was still with the car. I believe that the buildsheet is for car 110614 correct?