News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lost 3rd gear today.

Started by 73chgrSE, September 13, 2009, 07:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

I was driving around last week and noticed that when going from 2nd to 3rd it just rev-ed up and then came down into 3rd late. I didn't drive her for about a week. Today I took it out and it was doing samething but got much worse on the way home it would not shift to 3rd at all. Stays in 2nd while in "D". I did a flush and filter change this afternoon. No change. My friend said the valve body needs to be replaced. Or would the valve body just need to be rebuilt. I see a kit on some websites for about $30 that includes filter and some springs etc...
Is that what i need? Easy job?

I cant find too many that aren't reverse manual for racing, which i dont want. I just need stock replacement parts. I haven't tried NAPA yet, it's Sunday.

btw...727, slapstick

oldkimmer

.............U probably blew the seals in the front clutch drum and burnt up the clutches.....time 4 a rebuild.......kim.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

73chgrSE

would 1st and 2nd still work ok if that happened?

Charger RT

Does it still go into reverse?

3rd gear uses both clutches in the trans. 1 of those works in 1st 2nd and 3rd. The other one only works in 3rd gear and it is also used in reverse. If reverse still works the clutch used for third is working and since 1st and 2nd works the other clutch is working. You could have a sticking shift valve in the valve body.

Also make sure it is shifting 1-2 and not 1-3 that is a whole other course of repair. If it is going 1-3 it will wind out a little in 1st until it reaches a speed that 3rd would normally shift. It can be hard to be sure. I have worked with mechanics that missed them going 1-3. If it is going 1-2 cruising RPM should be a bit high. if it is going 1-3 cruise would seem normal.
Tim

73chgrSE

Reverse was working. It's definatley not going from 1st to 3rd based on rpms.

Charger RT

if that is the case I would drop the valve body and go through it.

Depending on who you talk to the names of the clutches and bands have differant names. Alot of publications name them by location in the trans others by application. I will use location. The pump is at the front of the trans.

The rear clutch is used in all forward gear including manual second and manual first. Since it moves fine in first and second it works.

The front clutch is used only in third gear and reverse. Since reverse works it too is working.

The control is left the valve body or possibly the governor or both. If it were my car I would pull both and go through them.
Tim

73chgrSE

thanks. Is there a rebuild kit with the valve body parts or will i need the over haul kit.

Charger RT

there is no real kit you just need gaskets. The guts of the valve body is just a casting with steel valves and springs. If you set out to do this lay everything out and keep it clean. Take one plate off at a time and lay every thing out in the order it came out. Polish the valves I use 320 wet dry sand paper (wet) and polish the valve and roll a piece up sand paper side out to clean the bore. wash it all up and reassemble it. You can use a seal pick to check the valves to see what is sticking and make sure it is not sticking after repair. When you take the plate off there are check balls in spots that need to go back into the same spots they were to begine with. It been years since I had a mopar valve bady apart but I can't remember if they also have a spring and check valve there as well.

Don't forget the governor can do this too. I would do both at the same time. The governor is on the output shaft and needs the tail removed.

If you have never done this before I would either get some help from someone that has done it or search some good info with pictures. If I find one I will post it. searching things today has not worked out. Here is a book I have a few of these for other transmissions and they come in handy if your not familiar with what you are working on. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-727-A-904-ATSG-SERVICE-REBUILD-MANUAL-12400_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem56350d7430QQitemZ370257261616QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Tim

John_Kunkel

I seriously doubt that this is a valve body problem. The previous rpm flareup at the 2-3 shift indicates that the valve body was commanding the shift, the parts just couldn't comply.

Even though Reverse works OK it could still be a front clutch problem because the line pressure in Reverse is several times higher than in forward gears....a front clutch that slips under load at normal road speed probably won't slip at the higher line pressure and lower speed in Reverse.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

73chgrSE

FYI I ended up getting it rebuilt at my local shop for about a grand. Runs/shifts great now.

krops cars

The transmissions I have rebuilt I bought kits from AIT out of Minnesota. You can get like Master, Major , and I think minor kits. Of one has bushings and every thing. So ask about the different kits. I would get the kit that has as much stuff as possible. Kits are great quality.

krops cars

I was wrong. The transmission place was at automatic transmission service group. I found my manual.