News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have a quick question about stripping to bare metal.

Started by ZSmithersCharges, September 14, 2009, 08:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

Okay so I'm half way through sanding the car all the way down to the metal and I've just finished the roof.  And of course I have the dreaded vinyl rust on the front portion of the roof.  That being said all of it sanded off with little difficulty but there is what looks like black faded runs underneath of where the rust was located.  I am currently sanding with 80 grit and will move all the way up to 600 before applying primer but I just wanted to know if I should go to a lower grit and try to grind the black out?  I have been hesitant however because I really don't want to go to that coarse of a grit (50-60) on the sheet metal.  So, my question was can I put primer over this stuff or will it interfere with the etching process?  Thank you kindly, and I'll be back later must go sand more  :2thumbs:

Edit: It looks more like speckles than runs almost looks like a guide coat the way it is fogged however its just on the bare metal and doesn't come out very easily with 80 grit.  I think I just answered my own question  ::) ... but I would really like to know what this stuff is.

ZSmithersCharges

22 views and no responses jeez I would be better off guessing huh?

Troy

They're pits. I wouldn't sand them out myself - you'll thin the metal too much. If you try to remove all that you might as well replace the roof skin. Use a rust converter to kill the rust that you didn't sand off.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Troy on September 14, 2009, 04:09:19 PM
They're pits. I wouldn't sand them out myself - you'll thin the metal too much. If you try to remove all that you might as well replace the roof skin. Use a rust converter to kill the rust that you didn't sand off.

Troy

Will do, do you know any good names?  And that stuff is good to put etching primer over?  Or should I use a converter sand it off after its done its job and then put the etching primer? Thanks for answering btw you saved me from getting a roof skin.

ZSmithersCharges

Thank you so much man... you searched and found all that even when I was too lazy your going in my good book  :yesnod: