News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto Rotisserie (build or buy)?

Started by 451-74Charger, September 18, 2009, 11:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

I was looking at getting myself a Rotisserie, and wasnt sure which would be better.
I have seen many on eBay for about $1000 and I also have some plans a member posted on his website, that im sure i could build myself if I could find a steel supplier locally.

What experiences have you had with them, or are there any reccomendations.

PocketThunder

My friends bought a www.whirlyjig.com rotisserie.  We looked at one at the car show one summer and sized it up and decided it was cost efficient to just buy one already built.  
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dodgecharger-fan

I built one with steel tubing that I got for free.
About all I had to pay for was casters and some hardware.

If I need one again, I'll buy one though.

It worked fine and was stronger than necessary, but it lacked the nice usability features that the pro units have - like not having to jack the car up 3 feet in the air to mount it on the spit  :brickwall:

I gave it to some friend of my daughter who was just starting up a resto shop. I was glad to see it go as it was taking up way too much room in the garage.

mopar73

I built mine out of 2x2 and 2@1/2 x2@1/2 steel tubing for about 225.00.  I found the plans online and I'll see if iI can find the link for you.  It works really well for me but  as meantioned before, it doesn't have the high tech features of a bought one.  I use my engine hoist to raise up one end at a time and that works ok, it's just kind of a pain for some things, but overall I'd build mine again and not buy. :Twocents: Scott

451-74Charger

the plans i have  are specifically for a Rotisserie for a 73 Charger.
I just have to find some place to sell me the steel.
I tried putting in enquiries for pricing to a couple local places and no replies :brickwall:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 18, 2009, 01:35:35 PM
the plans i have  are specifically for a Rotisserie for a 73 Charger.
I just have to find some place to sell me the steel.
I tried putting in enquiries for pricing to a couple local places and no replies :brickwall:

Edited  :scratchchin:

451-74Charger

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 18, 2009, 02:21:25 PM
Edited?

Well, I was going to give you a link to a site with lots of steel but then got to thinking and decided not to because of shipping prices and thought youd be better off going local  :shruggy:

mopar73

Quote from: 451-74Charger on September 18, 2009, 02:21:25 PM
Edited?

Here is a link to where i think they came from.
http://members.tripod.com/mopar_roadster/body_rotisserie.html
Yep, thats the one I used.  I made the pivot a little stronger and my clocking wheel is a little different, but it works great.

Silver R/T

Im sure our welders/fabricators could fab up something like that for way less $$. We build much more complicated machinery where I work at. I just don't need one but I could've asked a favor.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PocketThunder

Here are plans from Magnumcharger (Robin) that i saved over the years.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

motorcitydak

I built my own for about $100 out of 4x4's and fence rail. I put the pivot too high tho so the car is bottom heavy and the winch on front cannot turn it. I just grab the side and lift it up then prop it up on a board, jack stand or the torsion bars like Ive been doing lately

Front

Rear, it had to be supported
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

mopar_nut_440_6

I built my own for about 650 bucks Canadian and added a gear reduction unit to one side to turn the car. 60 turns is one revolution and I do not have to lock it. It works slick and was well worth the 150 bucks for that addition. I would highly recommend it. You can see it in the following link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54980.20.html
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

451-74Charger

mopar_nut_440_6

No I did not but it was pretty easy to do . I just welded a piece of steel (Semi brake cam) with an outside diameter the same or slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the tube which attached to the piece which mounted to the rear bumper bolts to a coupler which attached to the gear reduction unit. I made a mount out of some used steel for the gear reduction unit and attache dit to the rear rotisserie section and added a couple pieces of rebar to stop the unit from twisting. I have attached a couple of pics.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

451-74Charger

Its ingenius what members here do to work on their cars.
I think I like that idea  :icon_smile_big:

Tilar

I have a couple different sets of plans for one but haven't built any yet.  I downloaded one set from this site.  http://www.autobody101.com/rotisserie.php
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.