News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal reproductions of Daytona nose assembly...Gene Gregory, WingCarFab, Others?

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, November 26, 2005, 09:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29j8Bullitt

The one major item missing from my Daytona is the entire nose assembly... the previous owner said he threw it away because it was heavily damaged after an encounter with a telephone pole.  :P  Because the car is a real Daytona, I want to go with high quality metal reproduction parts instead of the fiberglass parts available from Janek and other suppliers.

I have seen the reproductions that Gene Gregory makes, and they look very good.  I found a link to http://www.wingcarfab.com/ on another message board.  I was wondering if any of y'all have any experience with this vendor, and how their parts compare to Gregory's reproductions.

Anyone know of other vendors of metal reproductions of the Daytona nose assembly?

If this is a rehash of a subject that has been gone through before, please post a link to the thread... Thanks!

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

chargervert

I know that Jack McGaughy has made Superbird nosecones,and has repaired an original Daytona cone for a customer.I don't know if he will make a complete Daytona cone though. I know that Mike at Dayclona,can help you with all of the internal pieces for the nosecone.He makes Zee bars,latch trays,headlight buckets,pivots,and all of the hardware to make your headlights operate as original.He also makes the brackets that go from the frame to the Zee bars,as well as a steel front valence,if you need one! (www.dayclona.com)Good luck with your resto on the Daytona!

Daytona R/T SE

Several years ago (ten?) I was at Gene Gregory's shop, he had a Daytona nose cone hanging on the wall. When I asked about it he said " I quit making them. I've only got one left" pointing to the one hanging on the wall....about five years ago I saw him at Monster Mopar and asked him about a cone, he said     "I've only got one left"   .......hmmmmm :scratchchin:

xs29j8Bullitt

chargervert, Daytona R/T SE - Thanks for the input! The WingCarFab website seems to indicate they make the Daytona nose cones as well, stating they make Daytona & Superbird nose "panels"... I take that to indicate those to be the sub-components of the assembly (but I guess it could be the valence panels).  And I have heard that Gene Gregory has been selling that "last" Daytona nose cone for a long time... LOL

The Daytona restoration is still a few years away from starting, just starting to the research and locate needed parts.  Last year I was lucky enough to get a super nice 1970 Charger front end for the car and years ago I scored a mint set of fender scoops for the car (they were even the right color - R4 Red).

Here is a picture of the Daytona... needs front sub-frames repaired or replaced, but from the firewall back the car is very solid (firewall is damaged though).

XS

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on November 26, 2005, 10:50:54 PM
chargervert, Daytona R/T SE - Thanks for the input! The WingCarFab website seems to indicate they make the Daytona nose cones as well, stating they make Daytona & Superbird nose "panels"... I take that to indicate those to be the sub-components of the assembly (but I guess it could be the valence panels).   And I have heard that Gene Gregory has been selling that "last" Daytona nose cone for a long time... LOL

The Daytona restoration is still a few years away from starting, just starting to the research and locate needed parts.   Last year I was lucky enough to get a super nice 1970 Charger front end for the car and years ago I scored a mint set of fender scoops for the car (they were even the right color - R4 Red).

Here is a picture of the Daytona... needs front sub-frames repaired or replaced, but from the firewall back the car is very solid (firewall is damaged though).

XS

Man that car looks good :2thumbs:  From this angle, anyway :yesnod:

chargervert

I heard that Gene is making nosecones again.Not sure if its true.What wingcar fab is talking about by the panels,are repair panels(top,sides,or bottom of the nosecone)not the internals.Mike can help you out with those,they are steel,and as original.

wingcars6970

Gene Gregory had metal daytona noses sometime around 1990.He had a limited amount of them.For $3000.00 a pop.Claimed to only make a limited supply. They sold some of them out of motor city originals in MI   .And then was going to destroy the dies after a certain amount sold.Gene later got involved with e body shaker hood parts line .But time from time had 69 daytona and 500 trunk lids made up.Heard he might was going to do latch trays but didnt hear much on re- releasing noses.Is that your light blue daytona in Texas Allen ? original V2 car.One that I think I heard of that had a 69 charger front clip on it.Prior accident and owner trashed all the daytona front end components.. I see was a R4 red car like mine I see.Good luck with your resto

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: wingcars6970 on November 27, 2005, 12:20:25 PM
Gene Gregory had metal daytona noses sometime around 1990.He had a limited amount of them.For $3000.00 a pop.Claimed to only make a limited supply. They sold some of themout of motor city originals .And then was going to destroy the dies after a certain amount sold.Gene later got involved with e body shaker hood parts line .But time from time had 69 daytona and 500 trunk lids made up.Is that your blue daytona in Texas Allen

Yeah, I wish I had bought one back then... From what I hear he always tells everyone that story, but always seems to have one left!  I believe that he probably made a lot of the detail parts, and only assembles them 1 or 2 at a time for sale.

Yes, that is my Daytona... It is an original R4 Red 440 4BBL w/Automatic real Daytona, but needs the missing nose assembly and valence to be complete.  I do not have the numbers matching engine or transmission, but I have a 1969 model engine for it.

XS

xs29j8Bullitt

original V2 car.One that I think I heard of that had a 69 charger front clip on it.Prior accident and owner trashed all the daytona front end components.

This Daytona never had a regular front end on it, but was wrecked in 1979 with the Daytona nose on it.  The previous owner told me the wrecked nose and front end were thrown away at some point after the accident... One time he said that he threw them away because they were damaged, while another time he said he had them stored in a friends barn who then threw them away because he needed the space...

XS

xs29j8Bullitt

Here are some pictures showing the Daytona's original R4 Red color...

XS

dayclona

Gene Gregory had metal daytona noses sometime around 1990.He had a limited amount of them.For $3000.00 a pop.Claimed to only make a limited supply. They sold some of them out of motor city originals in MI   .And then was going to destroy the dies after a certain amount sold.Gene later got involved with e body shaker hood parts line .But time from time had 69 daytona and 500 trunk lids made up.Heard he might was going to do latch trays but didnt hear much on re- releasing noses.Is that your light blue daytona in Texas Allen ? original V2 car.One that I think I heard of that had a 69 charger front clip on it.Prior accident and owner trashed all the daytona front end components.. I see was a R4 red car like mine I see.Good luck with your resto
[/quote

Dave , I hope you and others don't seriously think Gene would "destroy" the dies after a few short runs! really now! Gene did generate quite a few daytona/bird cones back in the ole MCO days as well as steel lite pivots, trunk conversions, a-pillar stainless, but this was on a "bulk run", meaning you put your name/monies in , and waited until Gene decided he had enough orders to warrant a run of parts!......I do the same thing!...as the set up/cost on my end, sometimes dose'nt justify making one pc, pair, etc.........plus like many vendors, we've grown tired of the BS..........you vendors know what I mean!...................Gene is "possibly" thinking of getting back into the wingcar market, but only to supply that which is not currently being offered!.......why invest in tooling for something thats allready out there!.......thats why I don't "carry" certain Items.(see the other guy!)....Gene has his hands full with his E/B body repos at present, plus has tired of the BS in the repro business.....I'm not trying to speak here for anybody but myself, if Gene is going to resume wingcar parts, he 'll let us know! until then your choices are limited to the following; DAYCLONA, Jack McGauhey/ Wingcarfab.com..........Erik Nelson........and for some fiberglass repro Ted Janak or you can go to Great Lakes NOS, he has/had a used daytona cone and assorted nos front end pcs for $30,000 pkg "deal"...........I see you say"your daytona is a few years away, just collecting info?".........well as I've found out, as I'm sure others have, just because it repro, dose'nt mean it's gonna be around when you decide it time for your restoration to begin...........example ,Gene's cones we're $3500...then $5500.......now I hear rumor $10,000.......if available.....see what I mean......Snooze=Loose/ simple math!

Mike G. /proprieter/ DAYCLONA ENTERPRISES

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: dayclona on November 27, 2005, 02:19:31 PM
I'm not trying to speak here for anybody but myself, if Gene is going to resume wingcar parts, he 'll let us know! until then your choices are limited to the following; DAYCLONA, Jack McGauhey/ Wingcarfab.com..........Erik Nelson........and for some fiberglass repro Ted Janak or you can go to Great Lakes NOS, he has/had a used daytona cone and assorted nos front end pcs for $30,000 pkg "deal"...........I see you say"your daytona is a few years away, just collecting info?".........well as I've found out, as I'm sure others have, just because it repro, dose'nt mean it's gonna be around when you decide it time for your restoration to begin...........example ,Gene's cones we're $3500...then $5500.......now I hear rumor $10,000.......if available.....see what I mean......Snooze=Loose/ simple math!

Mike G. /proprieter/ DAYCLONA ENTERPRISES

Thanks for the information... actually I am not just collecting info, but planning to buy most of the missing parts in the next year.  As I mentioned, I have collected some of the needed parts already... like the '70 Charger front end and the fender scoops.  I am planning some eBay sales early next year to finance purchases for the Daytona and some other cars that I  have or plan to soon have in work.  The delay in starting on the Daytona is due to having a Challenger Convertible, Hemi Cuda, and soon my triple black Hemi Charger in work.  I just don't need another car torn apart right now... Thanks again for your input.

XS

wingcars6970

Here is Genes nose construction from 1990.One of the early ones we got needed work to get right.But was nice when all   necessary modifications were made.It looked nice.Thanks for the follow up info on your R4 daytona Allen .I have 2 buldsheets for a 70-6 pack charger.One is for a white 4 speed another for a blue auto.You missing your build sheets

hotrod98

Gene came by my shop a few weeks ago to pick up some e-body flat hoods. I asked him about the noses at that time and he said that he was planning to make more in the near future. However, the price would be 10k this go-round. He's also converting deck lids correctly for 1k.
As Mike mentioned, Gene stated that he won't be building any parts that are are already available that are "correct". Would be senseless.
He made several of those noses years ago. Makes you wonder how many of those original cars aren't all that original.
As for Jack, the last time that I spoke with him,(a year ago?) he mentioned that he was only repairing noses, but had the dimensions to build a correct bird nose for around 7k. At that time, he didn't have the dimensions to build a daytona nose but was trying to get a nose to copy. Haven't talked to him since.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Spoke to Gene this morning... Still has some Daytona noses left at $7500 per unit... Doing some digging to help a friend of a friend get their Daytona back in order after the nose and deck lid were stolen... Bastards...

How's Gene's work? He's thinking of making Superbird hoods.. Mine needs some work and we chatted about sending him mine, along with a good Coronet hood and in return, he would make me a nice Superbird hood.. He wants to use mine as a template...

Thoughts?

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Nwcharger

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 31, 2015, 12:01:46 PM
Spoke to Gene this morning... Still has some Daytona noses left at $7500 per unit... Doing some digging to help a friend of a friend get their Daytona back in order after the nose and deck lid were stolen... Bastards...

How's his work? He's thinking of making Superbird hoods.. Mine needs some work and we chatted about sending him mine, along with a good Coronet hood and in return, he would make me a nice Superbird hood in return.. He wants to use mine as a template...

Thoughts?

T

His work is very nice from what I've seen. I meant to stop by his shop with my c500 on my way home this year but just didn't have time. Besides last I talked to him he was looking for a 500 and dont want to sell  :nana: did you talk to him about the trunk lid close out panel? When was your friends parts stolen? Was it local to you? I'm always looking for Daytona parts and can keep my eye out. I hate thieves. Couldn't imagine how pissed I'd be.
1969 coronet wagon

hemi68charger

Quote from: Nwcharger on October 31, 2015, 12:10:53 PM
... did you talk to him about the trunk lid close out panel? ...

Yes, he said he had the close-out panels... My friend has a C500, so they can use his as a template when modifying the standard production deck lid. I also mentioned they need to find the hinge channels that is welded to the inside of the deck lid too.. I'm not sure how long ago the parts were stolen, I would have to imagine within the last month or two..... It was in the shop to get painted.. Out of respect for the owner, I'll just leave it at that for now...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Nwcharger

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 31, 2015, 12:45:24 PM
Quote from: Nwcharger on October 31, 2015, 12:10:53 PM
... did you talk to him about the trunk lid close out panel? ...

Yes, he said he had the close-out panels... My friend has a C500, so they can use his as a template when modifying the standard production deck lid. I also mentioned they need to find the hinge channels that is welded to the inside of the deck lid too.. I'm not sure how long ago the parts were stolen, I would have to imagine within the last month or two..... It was in the shop to get painted.. Out of respect for the owner, I'll just leave it at that for now...

Well let's just hope who ever stole them try's to sell them and doesn't realize how many people follow these cars and parts for them.
1969 coronet wagon

talkiemopar

Gene did do the hinge channels when he did the close-out panels for the trunk lid. He used my parts. Rick.   :Twocents: :popcrn:

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

panhead

If Gene is stamping out his nose cones (which I believe he is) and is right on target as far as fit goes that is great less body work. The ones that I have made are all formed by hand and very labor intensive and still needed body work. The one that's on my car is made of 18 gauge, a real pain to work with. I made another one out of 22 gauge just to see how it would turn out, it's not to bad, but it to needs body work as well. Its real close to the one that is on wingman's (JR) car and it gauged out at 22gauge.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"