News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rubberized Undercoating options...

Started by 72Charger-SE, January 01, 2014, 08:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

Hello,

After careful consideration I have decided to undercoat the underside of my car as a sound deadening solution.  Can someone help me decide which solution to use? 

I wish to rate the top three undercoating options with the following requirements?

1.) Rubber (able to be painted)
2.) Thicker (something similar to the factory undercoating)
3.) Ease of application

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Chad

Hudson Hornet !

First off, what kind of primer do you have on the bare metal?  I would suggest an epoxy primer if you have yet to put anything on there. After that it depends on what you want to do with the car.  For a factory type look for Resto Rick undercoating. It is generally viewed as the most factory appearing undercoating.

For a driver, I like a 2 part bedliner like Raptor Liner.  Easy to spray and it's pretty tough.  A little more info and I can help you dial it in.
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

72Charger-SE

Hudson Hornet...

I am looking at 'Als Liner' from Advanced Auto Parts.  I can spray on a couple layers to make it 'thicker'.  Also, I am considering spraying the floor and firewall as well to keep the engine heat as well as noise levels at bay.  This is a driver car, however it will be in local car shows...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_liner-kit-al%27s-liner_10436035-p?searchTerm=liner+kit#fragment-1

I have a restoration post on here as well that may help you see what I am doing with the car...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,78875.0.html

Thanks...

Hudson Hornet !

Just read your thread. A lot of nice work going on there!   I see that you have rust bullet down and are looking at the Al's liner.  I think you are along the right path. Although I have never used Al's liner it looks like a similar product to Raptor Liner or SEM bedliner. I think any of them would be a good choice.

One thing I would consult is the proper prep of rust bullet for top coating.  For instance, how should it be scuffed so the bedliner sticks?  It will do no good to spray bedliner if it will not have either mechanical ( sanding) or chemical adhesion.

Any other questions just ask!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

72Charger-SE

Hudson...  From what I can tell I only need to spray the areas with 'Metal Blast' and allow it to dry completely.  This solution will 'etch' the Rust Bullet finish so the undercoating will properly adhere and last.  I will confirm with Rust Bullet before attempting to do this.  I definitely agree that this is NOT something I want to be wrong about.   Thanks again & GOD Bless...

Dreamcar

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

72Charger-SE

Charger-Bodie uses and recommends SEM Products Pro-Tex Truck Bedliner Kits 40660

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-40660/overview/

Anyone who knows him or has seen his work can agree...  his recommendation is worth its weight in GOLD.  I don't have to look any further...  THIS is the solution I will use.   Thanks to everyone for replying.

Dreamcar

I thought I read somewhere that bedliner doesn't help with sound deadening at all and can even make it worse :shruggy:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on January 03, 2014, 01:28:34 PM
Charger-Bodie uses and recommends SEM Products Pro-Tex Truck Bedliner Kits 40660

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-40660/overview/

Anyone who knows him or has seen his work can agree...  his recommendation is worth its weight in GOLD.  I don't have to look any further...  THIS is the solution I will use.   Thanks to everyone for replying.

Wow. I dont know about all that Chad, but thanks.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............