News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My GO MANGO Charger

Started by khodne, October 03, 2009, 09:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khodne

I've wanted  a 70 Charger ever since I can remember.  Riding in the back seat of my parents '70 Charger 500, white with charcoal interior, 383/335, 4 speed and a console, it had me hooked.  The late '70's made them look for a "family car" and as much as I begged and pleaded it was met with no avail.

The late 80's and early 90's I searched for "my Charger" but couldn't find one that I could afford.  I filled the garage with a 68 road runner, 68 GTX, but wasn't a Charger.

In 1996 I found a one owner 1970 Plymouth Sport Satellite.  Ordered with the Road Runner drive train, 383/335hp, 4 speed, and a 8 3/4 suregrip.  All the documentation was with the car, a 1 of 185 rarity.  I kept the car for 12 years, never happy with it not being a Charger.

Last winter I met a gentleman who was looking for the same car I had owned for the last 12 years.  He was looking to "get rid of" a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T, 440, 4 speed, Dana 60, yes a trac pac car, but it got better.  GO MANGO orange with charcoal interior no console, a buddy seat.  It was a 83000 mile California car.

The trade was soon made.

The body work was done.  So I ended up with a shell, pickup and trailer worth of parts.  Once home the fun began.

After reading and researching I decided rather than doing a 440 I wanted to build a 500 inch stroker.  I went with 440 Source for the roller assembly, 10 to 1 K Black pistons, Stealth Heads thank you for your advise on the 10 degree locks.  For a cam I wanted something I could drive, right or wrong I've chose the Comp Cam Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .545".  For a intake I'm putting a Indy dual plain with a 870 Holley Street Avenger.  The short block is back and all the parts are on the table in the garage.  Any Idea's what kind of horse power and torque I can expect?

I have a Lakewood Scatter shield with a Ram clutch that I plan on using.

I am hoping to have my car together by spring.  I'll try to post pictures as I progress with the project.  Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have found over the last six months that it is much easier to put back together a car taken apart by yourself than by someone else.  I'll try to post pictures later.

472 R/T SE

Congrats.  Sounds like a great trade.  It sounds really similar to my old ride.

I, too went through several rides to finally get the one I wanted.

Is it an A33 or 34?  Anxious to see pix.

khodne

It is a A33 car.  Not having any luck posting pictures. :brickwall:

jar1292

my 70' 500 is gunna be in go mango! i just started sanding the old paint off to see whats under it! still far from sqiurting it but im dreaming every day! i cant wait for your pictures good luck to you
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

khodne

Seeing if these post.

Engine: POR15 Hemi Orange on the block.  Looks really good on the block, timing cover looks like crap but will be hidden by the dampner.

Ram PowerGrip clutch mocked up.  440Source flywheel.

Lakewood Scatter Shield:  I found this on Craiglist, sandblasted it and also painted it with POR15 Hemi Orange.  It turned out very nice.

I have the whole front end out from under the car.  I am almost done sandblasting everything.  About half of the front end has been repainted, including the K frame.

khodne

One of the A arms blasted, repainted, and installed. :2thumbs:

Charger440RDN

The car looks good! Good luck on the restoration!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

CB

Great story :popcrn:
Glad you finally found what you were after :2thumbs:

:drive:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

tan top

good  story , nice looking charger  :yesnod:   doing some good work there , would love to see more pictures as & when ........... :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

khodne

I was able to put somethings together today.  Engine is coming along, hopefully I'll get another full day tomorrow to work on it and it'll be ready to mount on the K frame within a week or so.

Put the old headers back on for the break-in.  I'm trying to decide which headers to go with TTI's or Comps and which size.  Any opinions?

Charger-Bodie

TTI headers are the only way to go IMO. Ive had hookers and it wast pretty.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rolling_Thunder

TTI Headers - 1 7/8" should do you just fine,
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

khodne

Sounds like a plan, 1 7/8" TTI's.  I already have the 2.5" exhaust with Flowmaster 40's and Charger tips.  I was looking at the 2" but I like the sound of the 1 7/8" better with the 2.5" collector.  Thanks for the input.  Still wondering what kind of horsepower and torque I'm looking at.  I'm thinking the 475 that I was told when I purchased the cam might be on the light side after reading some of the post's from dyno's.

mopar_nut_440_6

Very, very n ice. I can't wait to see it together. Keep the pics coming!  :drool5:
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

khodne

Finally got the transmission mounted.  Forgot the bushing and had to disassemble everything, a whole lot of grade 8 bolts with nylocks!!!  Planing on mounting engine and transmission on the K frame tomorrow.  Progress is way slower than anticipated. :brickwall:  Two steps forward, one step back.  I'm really enjoying this project though, I've reassembled a couple of B bodies before but never put this much time and attention to it.  I think this time the difference is I have a "man cave" where I can just walk away for a couple of days and it isn't in the way of anything. :2thumbs:  Will post pictures in the morning.

Blown70

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 07, 2009, 09:45:34 PM
Ive had hookers and it wast pretty.

Good thing someone does not take this out of context....hahahaha :nana: :smilielol: :smilielol:

khodne

Installing engine and transmission.

472 R/T SE

Lookin' good!  :2thumbs:

So why didn't you put the exhaust manifolds on?  I see you dressed the rest of it up pretty good.

khodne

I didn't have them here right now.  Planing of doing the break-in with the original HP manifolds and exhaust then installing TTI 1 7/8 headers and exhaust.

khodne

picture didn't down load.

alcusswhen

You can go ahead and install your shifter and do the adjustments now. Install the handle after power plant is in the car. I hope you know what a bitch it is to change headers on a big block after its in the car! Also if you put your headers on before lifting the engine in place toy can install the starter and hook up your cable to it. Instead of fighting it in the car. One other thing I learned is that unloading, removing reinstalling and adjusting my torsion bars is a hell of a lot easier than jacking on and engine trying to install headers. oops sorry one more and I shut up. Put the steering box on the K now.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

bull

Nice job, Kirk. That's exactly how I plan on installing my setup when I get to that point. :2thumbs:

One question, are you lifting the front of the car with the cherry picker? If so what part are you lifting on and what are you using to lift with, chain maybe?

khodne

Curtis,  I mocked up a couple of different ideas.  Chain, didn't want to scratch the pretty new paint.  Two inch nylon winch line from a digger derrick, to big.  I settled on this one.  I had four new better quality tie downs, ran two each way, one on each of the rails going to the front bumper.  Sinched the straps so they just missed the paint on the hood latch.  I took my time raising and lowering the car.  It worked BEAUTIFUL!!! :cheers:  I am going to do it this way when I do my '67 GTX next.  Good luck on doing yours.  Ordered the rims today, should be here with in a week or two.