News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 console top plate resto

Started by bull, November 27, 2005, 08:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

My 4spd top plate needs help. It looks as if the chrome is peeling off and when you run your hand across the top surface it's very rough and prickly. What is the top plate made of and how do you restore it? Is it cast steel or what? It almost seems like pot metal. Can you have them stripped and rechromed? And then what do you do about the black lines it's supposed to have?

Troy

Bull, yours is a 68 so it has silver lines - not black. They are painted on. I believe the console tops are pot metal and they pit just like the emblems and some of the outside trim. You can have them rechromed but you will probably have to send it to some place that specializes in fixing the holes/pits/crazing. I can't imagine that it's cheap (which is why good used ones sell on eBay for $1500). I have three that need work and between them and my taillights I'm gonna need a bigger bankroll. :(

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

8WHEELER

This was actualy a good deal. Yes pot metal and silver in that 1in wide strip around the top plate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-1968-DODGE-CHARGER-BLACK-4-SPEED-CONSOLE-NICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34206QQitemZ4587756029QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I really don't think they can be chromed, the stipping procces would round over the ribs bad.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Hmmmmm. I had a feeling I was going to hear some bad news. :-[ Another question: are the console lids the same between the auto and 4 spd cars? My lid is much worse than the 4spd plate but the plate ain't great. Someone painted the outer stripe black on mine and it's coming off so I have a silver/black mess. Kinda like the Raiders.

You know, this seems like something that could be somewhat accurately reproduced out of stainless on a CNC machine.

8WHEELER

Yes the lids are the same. I sure wish they could repop 1/16 the parts for a Charger that they
do for a Mustang, heck a friend and I put my wheelchair in his 66 Mustang, I told him be carefull
he says I think I got it RIPPP goes the blue headliner............ I felt bad. Drove 3mi done the road
to a Mustang shop yep they had a blue 66 headliner on the shelf   :musik010: oh well I felt better
for him.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

It must be nice to have that parts availability. But then if they made 1/2 as many Chargers as they did Mustangs we'd probably be in good shape. I'm just glad I don't have to look for the '66-'67 parts like the poor 1st gen guys. I figure if worse comes to worse I'm just going to run the Charger without a console for a while until I can piece it all together and do it right. My little girls will want to run between the seats anyway.

B5 Charger

I just had all three of my top plates and rear cover rechromed but they are off of a '69 which has no ribs.  $320.00 for all four pieces.  I have to go pick them up this week.  I'll post some pics when I get them home.