News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was the hemi dart the fastest 1/4 mile production car ever produced?

Started by superbirdtom, October 04, 2009, 10:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbirdtom

I got into it with some chebby guys the other day as they were all talking about the new drag racing strip here and how no mopars ever show up. anyway i said I don't race junk and got em all worked up. then I said hey whats the fastest quarter mile car you could go down and order from your local chrysler dodge plymouth dealer?

The cobra dude says it was a such and such vette with a 427 dohc  yadda yadda this and that. then another dude says no it was an olds 455 sd ,then another says no you could order a cobra with a 427 side oiler and it was definetly the fastest . I said no your all wrong.  they gasped! and said  well which car was it. I said a hemi dart. this caused them to go completely nuts :pullinghair:. I said yes you could actually order a hemi dart and it did sub 11 second quarters right outa the box.  Now  my question is this , I don't think that the ac cobra was considered a stock car . but I believe the dart was considered a stock car. could the experts put this to rest.

What is considered a stock car??  how can I win my argument with neanderthals.    Thanks  Tom

Ghoste

No expert but I'll offer my opinion.  The AC Cobra and the Hemi Dart were both somewhat one offs.  The Cobra was a specialty car thrown together by Shelby American with limited availability.  The Hemi Dart started at Dodge but then went to Hurst for conversion.  It was a run of less than a hundred in order to qualify it for super stock drag racing.  It wasn't street legal and I believe the first 50 were all sent to specific racers so it wasn't as though you could go to Barney Fife Dodge in downtown Mayberry and order one up.
Personally my idea of stock production cars leaves a lot of the one off specialty cars (and COPOs) off the list.  And my personal experience of the ones that are left on the list is that any of them are capable of beating one another on a given day.

Todd Wilson

If my memory serves me correctly the 1968 Hemi Barricuda holds the top 1/4 mile spot for Super Stock and the 68 Hemi Dart was like a 10th of a second slower.

Todd

Ghoste

68X426

The age old story is that it was the 68 Hemi Barracuda that was the fastest, and closest to stock, and genuine assembly line production. I understand that a Cuda could be bought in Mayberry completely bare bones with only a race Hemi and race suspension. And it would do sub 11s off the show room floor.  :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I wouldn't be picking on Barney by the way.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Lol, love that pic. :lol:  As for the other part, I know it makes me a Mopar heretic but I guess when I think of stock production vehicles I think of cars that could at least potentially be ordered through any dealer and be street legal. :shruggy: :Twocents:

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Road Dog

454 AND Z06 Vettes were 10.6 to 10.89 1/4 mile. Darts and Barracudas were 10.3 to 10.5. Stage 2 Buick was High 10's. I remember a guy ran a Stock Shelby 427 Cobra with Slicks 10.4.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

1969chargerrtse

I saw an article way back when and what won the 1/4 mile stock production car race was ......................... this big 421ci bonneville.  I kid you not.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Road Dog

Fella in High School had a 65 Catalina 2+2 withe the 421 and it was brutally fast.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Ghoste on October 04, 2009, 11:18:08 PM
But are they truly production cars?

Another question to throw in to the pile is...........The Cobra and Corvette are not muscle cars to me. They are both sports cars  yet they always seem to get thrown into the muscle car category.

So are they muscle cars or sports cars?

Todd

Ghoste

I don't consider a Stage 2 Buick to be stock production either since the handful of parts made to convert the car were only available through the parts counter for you to do yourself.  I also put very very little faith in magazine road test results.  The guys that wrote those articles all freely admit today that it was very common to just make up the times.  I pretty much need to witness the run myself and anytime I see one of the 60's musclecars get into the 12 second zone I get very suspect about it's stock status.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a genuinely stock Vette of any stripe running well into the tens.
Again though, that's just me.

Rolling_Thunder

cobra / vettes = Sports cars... 

If you want a list of cars actually testes by the magazines back when - here you go....     Remove the Cobra, Vette, Vipers...     so #1 is a Road Runner

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/4067/50fastest.htm

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

And btw, we are all on the same page about this being the oldest bench race since 2 cave men began bragging around the watering rock about who was faster and that in all these centuries the question has yet to be decided, right?  So this is all in fun cuz we're all pals here. (I've seen more than a couple of these things get ugly and personal  :lol:)

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 05, 2009, 10:57:32 AM
cobra / vettes = Sports cars... 

If you want a list of cars actually testes by the magazines back when - here you go....     Remove the Cobra, Vette, Vipers...     so #1 is a Road Runner

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/4067/50fastest.htm

hmm, not quite the 11's 12's stated before.    looks like the advantage the roadrunner had over many others was the 4:10 rear end      :drive:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on October 05, 2009, 11:01:05 AM
And btw, we are all on the same page about this being the oldest bench race since 2 cave men began bragging around the watering rock about who was faster and that in all these centuries the question has yet to be decided, right?  So this is all in fun cuz we're all pals here. (I've seen more than a couple of these things get ugly and personal  :lol:)
Gee I'd like to believe we can have a simple discssion?
As for the vette cobra sports car thing?  That's why I sold my vette to buy the ultimate muscle car. I was not a " vette " guy, I was a muscle car guy that owned a vette, and even though the vette was one of the best and coolest cars I ever had, it wasn't me, like the Charger is. I always say, when I had the vette I waved to vette guys, with the Charger everybody waves including vette guys.   :coolgleamA:
What about the LS6 Chevelle?  It think they were all stupid fast, it was really all about traction on those bias ply skinny tires.  
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Cooter

We get into this every other cruise night/car show...Chevy Vs Ford Vs Mopar, who was the fastest production car...Well, I don't think the HEMI Dart/Barracudas, the REALLY FAST SPECIALTY Vettes, OR the A/C Cobras were Production cars. All of them had RACE ONLY parts that you CANNOT and will NOT drive as you would a PRODUCTION car...Whether it be suspension, engine didn't come in the car (big block Ford in a go-kart -A/C Cobra, Saleen Mustangs). Also, Any Production car that costs more than my house, to me isn't a "real car guys" "production" car..It has become a Super car for the rich..Now you can look at this one of two different ways here...Either I have one helluva cheap house, or you bought one helluv-an expensive car...

To me, Anybody that can take a real production car and invest around $10-15K in it, (Purchase Price included) and run in the 10's deserves a medal, cause I've tried it and it is very hard to do...

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Todd Wilson

My dad has sinced passed away but he was heavy into Mopars and street racing back in the day during the 60's. He always said  and some of his freinds have said since as I still talk to them on occasion  stock vs stock the Mopars were hard to beat on the street. The Chevy guys would do a little work and then they could beat a stock Mopar.  On any given day any of them can get beat but its consistancy that I feel really sets the who is faster then who and the Mopars do that all the way. The record books and time listings show that.

Todd

LeadfootBob

Quote from: Ghoste on October 05, 2009, 08:44:55 AM
I don't consider a Stage 2 Buick to be stock production either since the handful of parts made to convert the car were only available through the parts counter for you to do yourself.  I also put very very little faith in magazine road test results.  The guys that wrote those articles all freely admit today that it was very common to just make up the times.  I pretty much need to witness the run myself and anytime I see one of the 60's musclecars get into the 12 second zone I get very suspect about it's stock status.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a genuinely stock Vette of any stripe running well into the tens.
Again though, that's just me.
Concur, and in addition the article with the '69 1/2 Road Runner Sixpack (the magazine escapes me) dropping into the twelves had A: Ronnie Sox driving and B: some serious tweaking done to the engine... I can hear the bells from over here  :icon_smile_big:

An interesting roundup was done in a TV show called "musclecar shootout" (previously available on youtube, copyrighting took it down), in one segment they ran all the cars down the quarter with period-correct tires. Which sled won? The Buick GS 455, just barely into the twelves. The Mr. Norm Superbee had the best 60-foot but dropped off a tad on the top-end and came in third, IIRC.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

bigred68

Not to take ANYTHING away from our beloved muscle cars of any make or model but...
What about the new cars? What about the new Challenger srt, Viper,  Camaro SS, Mustang gt, etc?
What about the so-called super cars that are "mass" produced like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti?
What about the kinda' normal everyday drivers like some Lexus cars, Nissan cars, Honda cars, Subaru cars?
What about the GMC Typhoon/Cyclone trucks What about the Cadillac CTV-S?
Only for the sake of argument (because I have NOT done my homework on this YET) but, aren't MOST of the even most mundane daily drivers of today faster in the quarter mile than our fantastic and beloved muscle cars of the day? Maybe faster than even the smallest lightest MoPar with the elephant motor?
Looky Looky, Linky Linky!! Hemi Dart right near the top of the page!!
http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm
:cheers:

Ghoste

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that MOST of the even most mundane daily cars of today could spank them but certainly some of them can.

Rolling_Thunder

incomplete list for sure...    but nice to see S/S mopars up there with million dollar cars...     I'm suprise the Hennessey Venom 1000 isnt on that list...    I mean Shelby is on there - why not other performance shop cars ?   :shruggy:    The Venom does the 1/4 between 10.5 and 9.8 - I've heard numbers all between there...   

just saying...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hemi-hampton