News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was the hemi dart the fastest 1/4 mile production car ever produced?

Started by superbirdtom, October 04, 2009, 10:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Just wait until electric cars are main stream. They will make all gas powered cars a slow thing of the past. I saw a electric powered Corolla blow away a hypo BMW and Vette on You Tube. Imagine the snap and power of a huge skill saw motor on all 4 wheels. It'll be like giant size slot car spinning all the way down  the track.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 05, 2009, 06:56:25 PM
Just wait until electric cars are main stream. They will make all gas powered cars a slow thing of the past. I saw a electric powered Corolla blow away a hypo BMW and Vette on You Tube. Imagine the snap and power of a huge skill saw motor on all 4 wheels. It'll be like giant size slot car spinning all the way down  the track.

Might have to convert the charger  :D

73chgrSE

Does anyone here know just how many of those barracudas were originally produced with hemis?

68charger383

Quote from: LeadfootBob on October 05, 2009, 12:09:01 PM
An interesting roundup was done in a TV show called "musclecar shootout" (previously available on youtube, copyrighting took it down), in one segment they ran all the cars down the quarter with period-correct tires. Which sled won? The Buick GS 455, just barely into the twelves.

:iagree:

I remember this was a big discussion in the magazines back in the early 90s. The fastest production car was the Buick GSX which beat out all the other production cars including hemi cudas and LS6 chevelles.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Cooter

Quote from: 73chgrSE on October 09, 2009, 10:37:06 AM
Does anyone here know just how many of those barracudas were originally produced with hemis?

The numbers break down somethin' like dis'.....51 Barracudas and like 50 Darts....There weren't many NON street leagal cars being sold and therefore, not alot were produced by Hurst...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FJ5WING

I question the ability of the '68 SS cars to compete because I believe they we delivered on skinny lil tires out back.
Someone can clear this up for me I will not be offended if Im wrong.
wingless now, but still around.

73chgrSE

Quote from: Cooter on October 09, 2009, 11:53:49 AM
Quote from: 73chgrSE on October 09, 2009, 10:37:06 AM

The numbers break down somethin' like dis'.....51 Barracudas and like 50 Darts....There weren't many NON street leagal cars being sold and therefore, not alot were produced by Hurst...

Of those 51 hemi barracudas, how many were notchbacks? that has to be the rarest of the rare....

lisiecki1

are the cudas everyone is bringing up the "Mr. 5 and 50" cudas that could be factory ordered?  That came with acid-dipped sheetmetal and no seam filler and the seats not bolted in, and a suggested launch tag that recommended you run the car up to 6500 in neutral and drop it into first when the light went green?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: lisiecki1 on October 09, 2009, 02:52:12 PM
are the cudas everyone is bringing up the "Mr. 5 and 50" cudas that could be factory ordered?  That came with acid-dipped sheetmetal and no seam filler and the seats not bolted in, and a suggested launch tag that recommended you run the car up to 6500 in neutral and drop it into first when the light went green?

Thats sweet  :coolgleamA:

mauve66

are the cudas everyone is bringing up the "Mr. 5 and 50" cudas that could be factory ordered?  That came with acid-dipped sheetmetal and no seam filler and the seats not bolted in, and a suggested launch tag that recommended you run the car up to 6500 in neutral and drop it into first when the light went green?

several people lost feet from doing that too :brickwall: :brickwall:

the problem with alot of cars that CAN run good nowadays is that they have no personality or SOUL when compared to older cars
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mauve66 on October 11, 2009, 12:50:50 AM

several people lost feet from doing that too :brickwall: :brickwall:

the problem with alot of cars that CAN run good nowadays is that they have no personality or SOUL when compared to older cars

speaking of SOUL,  (and powerful cars)  as written by the Pope   (check out #5  :lol:)

The 10 commandments for driving written by Vatican.

The "Drivers' Ten Commandments," listed in the document:

1. You shall not kill.

2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.

3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.

4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.

6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.

7. Support the families of accident victims.

8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.

9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.

10. Feel responsible toward others.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

mauve66

yeah yeah, and a car that sits HIM upright higher than everything with a bullet proof bubble isn't..................

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on October 11, 2009, 01:25:34 AM

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination,

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

SeattleCharger

Quote from: mauve66 on October 11, 2009, 09:48:08 AM
yeah yeah, and a car that sits HIM upright higher than everything with a bullet proof bubble isn't..................

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on October 11, 2009, 01:25:34 AM

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination,

good point      :scratchchin:

73chgrSE

Khyron

after reading all this superbirdtom , I have one thing that will shut your friends up and end the problem, next time they go chevy this and ford that and mopar this...

Unzip your pants, drop touser, flop it on the table and just say... "fine, lets just end this here, whip it out"

It's nothing but a penis contest, I don't care how fast the car is, if the driver doesn't know what he's doing .. the car isn't winning crap ;)

No one races numbers on paper, people race cars! ::lol:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

superbirdtom

I haden't read what i started till today. WOW!  when i lived in van nuys ca, a fella who raced against Dick Landy and such told me that in fact he went to the local dodge dealership and ordered a hemi dart, of course it had to go to a mythical place to have all the conversions done but the fact was he didn't go to hurst to order the car he ordered it right from the dealer. so to me that makes it a production car. just because 20k of them were not ordered does not change that fact. I just wanted some old time racers to chide in and tell me of the memories of how these cars got into peoples hands and who they paid for them ?

Did they pull out the greenbacks and give them to the dealership or did they give the greenbacks to hurst?   and where was this place that all the hemi darts and cudas were converted ? kinda like the creative industries deal with the wing cars.

Doright

Quote from: superbirdtom on October 18, 2009, 12:52:40 PM
I haden't read what i started till today. WOW!  when i lived in van nuys ca, a fella who raced against Dick Landy and such told me that in fact he went to the local dodge dealership and ordered a hemi dart, of course it had to go to a mythical place to have all the conversions done but the fact was he didn't go to hurst to order the car he ordered it right from the dealer. so to me that makes it a production car. just because 20k of them were not ordered does not change that fact.

There you go! You could get any thing you wanted from Ma Mopar as long as you had the CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! They didnt care then and they dont care today!  same holds true today you just have to talk with the right salesman!

Back to the original question
Wow as long as we are including these super limited production cars wich I love in my dreams what about the little AMC? the HURST SC/Rambler     http://www.amazingmusclecars.com/1512registry/registry_pages/factory_literature.php
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Bob

Quote from: Doright on October 21, 2009, 01:27:15 PM
Quote from: superbirdtom on October 18, 2009, 12:52:40 PM
I haden't read what i started till today. WOW!  when i lived in van nuys ca, a fella who raced against Dick Landy and such told me that in fact he went to the local dodge dealership and ordered a hemi dart, of course it had to go to a mythical place to have all the conversions done but the fact was he didn't go to hurst to order the car he ordered it right from the dealer. so to me that makes it a production car. just because 20k of them were not ordered does not change that fact.

There you go! You could get any thing you wanted from Ma Mopar as long as you had the CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! They didnt care then and they dont care today!  same holds true today you just have to talk with the right salesman!

Back to the original question
Wow as long as we are including these super limited production cars wich I love in my dreams what about the little AMC? the HURST SC/Rambler     http://www.amazingmusclecars.com/1512registry/registry_pages/factory_literature.php

There is a HURST SC/Rambler in my area. Awesome car.

superbirdtom

these were one of my favorite cars. I had never heard of the hurst scrambler though. I will have to study all about them and then when I am talking to the chevy guys I will bring this little rascal up.    so I am safe to say that the barracudas and hemi darts probably were the fastest car you could go down to your dealer and order.

Brock Samson

little known fact is they came in two different color schemes...

this blue rocker version is the rarest...

here's the one most folks see and remember...

I remember seeing one of these when i was a kid of 12 brand new on the street and someone hailed it thinking it was a Cab..

:smilielol:

Charger440RDN

Anyone have a picture of a black 69-70 Dart with black wheels, hood scoop and roll cage. I saw a picture of one like that on Ebay once and it had a Hemi in it.

SeattleCharger

this dart sounded good, don't know what engine size, it was the lady's car that is walking in front of it

b5blue

On the Rambler thing...didn't they make a "Rebel Yell" drag car also?

Charger440RDN

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on October 22, 2009, 02:56:27 AM
this dart sounded good, don't know what engine size, it was the lady's car that is walking in front of it

That car is sweet!!!!!  :2thumbs: Never was a huge Dart fan because I'm tall and the B-Body fits me better but I would find a way to fit behind the wheel and drive the hell out of this.

Ghoste

I believe it breaks down as 80 Darts total and 70 Barracudas (all of which I believe were fastbacks).  They were partially assembled at the Hamtramck plant and then shipped to a Hurst facility in the Detroit area for the final conversion and engine installation.  After the primary Chrysler racers were told to come and get theirs, I doubt that many of them were left for Joe Average to walk into his local dealer and just order one up. :icon_smile_wink:  In any they were undeniably quick even if the "production" status is left open to individual definintion.  To me, they are based on a production car but they are a specialty competition vehicle built soley for homologation purposes.  They weren't street legal, finished or warranted.  That's jsut my opinion though.