News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you guys help me out please?

Started by charger500az, October 18, 2009, 07:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger500az

I want to paint the front grill on my 69 charger 500. What is the exact color of black that I need? Also, is this the same color as used to paint the back of the car around the tail lights? Thanks in advance.

kw mopar

Since I am asking the same question for the back of my Daytona I would say a semi gloss black. Flat black would be a bit dull and leave hand prints all the time. That is what I am doing this week. Since there was no replies with other ideas I am sure this would be fine. Not sure on the grill on a 500 since I am doing a Daytona. Good Luck.

maxwellwedge

I would go with Organosol on the tail - although engineering shows a flattened black as another option to the Organosol (certain plant I think).

All my Chargers have the Organosol.

We have discussed this a few times on this site.

Usually grilles use a flattened black - probably around 33-40% flattened PPG DAR9000 black with 33-40% PPG DX265 flattening agent should get you close on the grille.

The best Organasol I have used is from Frank Badalson of Roger Gibson Auto Restoration - It is lacquer - just like the original factory stuff.

charger500az

Thanks guys.  :cheers: I might actually do the painting next week when I'm off work. We shall see but now I know. This site is a must for any mopar fanatic! :2thumbs:

hotrod98

We use Black Urethane and then flatten as needed. The paint store will sell you a quart of flattener and you can experiment. Somewhere between 25% and 40% will work depending on how you spray. The wetter you spray, the more flattener you'll need. On large areas, I use straight black first to get coverage, let it flash completely and then come back with my flattened formula. The reason is because the flattener can make the black more transparent, especailly when going totally flat. The urethane tends to hold up very well in the long run.
If you buy pre-mixed flattened black, be sure and shake it and then stir it well since the flattener will settle badly.
You'll spend 10 minutes just getting the quart of flattener stirred well enough to use if you mix the color yourself. You will still need to use hardener with the urethane but very little reducer. The solvent in the flattener acts as a reducer.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 19, 2009, 08:33:06 PM
I would go with Organosol on the tail - although engineering shows a flattened black as another option to the Organosol (certain plant I think).

Yep, Organosol on the tailpanel except for St. Louis-built cars.  Those get a flattened-black as Jim said.

maxwellwedge

If you go with the DAR stuff I mentioned earlier using hardener kills off a bunch of the flattening agent so stay away from hardener.

hotrod98 says it's ok to use with the urethane paint - and sounds like he has done it once or twice  ;D

hotrod98

Correct.
The hardener does tend to produce gloss. You can adjust the amount of flattener to compensate. That's why it's difficult to throw out an exact ratio since the brand of paint and flattener varies and the method of application varies. Not an exact science.
Obviously, the organasol from one of the top notch resto guys should be pretty much dead on, but it doesn't look good on grilles, bezels and moldings in my opinion.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams