News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.7 Hemi swap into the Marty Robbins 1969 Daytona with pictures

Started by pettybird, October 11, 2009, 10:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

Kinda dumb, but I forgot to take a picture of the power steering pressure hoses before I cut them.  The long nut thingy is gonna go onto the factory pipe, and I'm going to get that done tomorrow.  I'd have it done now but the piping is double thick and my double flare kit says Fisher-Price on the side, and I broke it.  I have a friend with a shop who's going to do it for me in the morning.  I was at a traffic light and remembered I had a camera on me, so there I am, clutch in, shifter in first, at a red light.  Safety first!  Also, I think this is the only picture of my '87 Porsche 944S I've posted anywhere, and I've had the car since March.  I like it a lot and would recommend one to my neighbors and friends. 

I've spent more time on the cooling system than I wanted to, but I'm nearly done.  I started with a Be Cool Eliminator Series radiator, part # 10016.  It's for Chevy, Ford, Mopar "direct fit" applications, but it went in with little trouble.  Here it is in front of the Griffin I pulled out of the car:

It's a little thicker, a little shorter and a little wider with the tanks, but it fits the hole really well.  These are Be Cool's budget radiators which don't have nice tank top and bottom caps, additional mounting holes or any other icing.  I finally got the rep on the phone to tell me the cores and tanks are the same, so that settled it.  It's a twin oval tube, 3" thick crossflow radiator, and it should do great.  I got another radiator as the outlet and inlet ends are swapped from B/RB.  Here it is mocked up in the car:

I wanted to run an electric fan with this radiator, and good aftermarket ones are a billion dollars.  I knew about Lincoln Mark VIII fans since I wanted one for my fox chassis Mustang, so I called up the dimensions of the radiator and the fan, and found the shroud would cover all but about a 3/4" vertical slice of the core.  It fits so well you'd swear it was made for the radiator.  I cut off the mounting ears and used two pieces of 3/4" aluminum angle iron (aluminum?) from Home Depot to bolt it to the radiator.  I drilled holes in the shroud and the aluminum and fastened it down with bolts.  I then used U nuts and tapping screws to attach it to the radiator.  It looked awesome--check it out:

I put it all together and had my friend help me lower it into place.  "Clunk," said the nose of the water pump against the fan motor.  Yep--I mis-measured, and it didn't fit.  Damn.  I figured out how much had to be taken off and came up with about 5/8".  I laid down a piece of electrical tape all around as a guide and proceeded to mangle one side of the shroud on a test cut with a scroll saw.  I needed something which would cut a LOT straighter than I could, and mom volunteered her new table saw.  I took the fan down the basement, made a test cut in a scrap piece, and sure enough it cut straight and didn't tear up the plastic.  I'm not sure which is wilder--the saw cut the plastic OK or mom bought a new table saw just because she wanted one.  Who doesn't respect a woman like that?  Here's the newly shorn fan with the trimmed piece on the ground behind:

And here it is in the car.  I had to drill two additional holes in the core support to bolt in the radiator, but I'm cool with it as this is probably going to be the car's configuration for a decent portion of the rest of my life.  The fit is great and the fan is MUCH larger than a typical aftermarket job.  Besides--I can get a replacement motor if this one burns out at the parts store. 

Here's the hose I found and cut down from AutoZone, an L 005. It fits right in.  I'm going to have to get creative with the lower, though.  More on that later. 

It's not done yet, but I've gone from this

to this.

Tell me that doesn't look like an alien spaceship engine compared to the old 440!  I'll be at it again tomorrow and probably Saturday but I need to pack for Talladega and get the 'bird ready to go.  I want to hear this thing run, though--it's killing me!

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Damn dude that is nice work! 

I never knew the tray in front of the radiator on wing cars was for tool storage..  :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 23, 2009, 10:49:37 AM

I never knew the tray in front of the radiator on wing cars was for tool storage..  :icon_smile_big:
yeah its great for that , just cover the latch hole . LOL 

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on October 23, 2009, 10:52:03 AM

and have a magnet on-hand anyway  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on October 23, 2009, 01:40:59 PM

I never knew the tray in front of the radiator on wing cars was for tool storage..  :icon_smile_big:

and have a magnet on-hand anyway  :lol:      i really need one of those little magnetic trays to plop over the hole and hold bolts and such

or a kid ( free labor) to crawl under and dig stuff out

marty42

Quote from: moparstuart on October 23, 2009, 02:04:23 PM

I never knew the tray in front of the radiator on wing cars was for tool storage..  :icon_smile_big:

and have a magnet on-hand anyway  :lol:      i really need one of those little magnetic trays to plop over the hole and hold bolts and such

I am the kid!

moparstuart

Quote from: marty42 on October 23, 2009, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 23, 2009, 02:04:23 PM

I am the kid!
oh yeah you will never grow up    :icon_smile_big:

66chargerkid

More like a kid for slave labor. Digging stuff out is the easy part.
Replacing 3 fuel pumps in a row then going home to do it again is always a blast.
Looks good Doug. I kinda like the carberator idea.
But then again damn this is expensive for have a whole motor you have to modify a lot to get it in and even more for all the fun stuff you can do with it.
Not for someone necessarily on a budget.
Think I will stick with a 383 in my charger for the time being.

moparstuart

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on November 11, 2009, 09:28:41 PM
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

keep munching.  mom bought new windows for the house and that's what I've been installing since we've come back from talladega

oh...and I never learned to finish playing with one toy before starting with the next...wait for upcoming shots of the B5 car  ;)

moparstuart

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on February 15, 2010, 12:00:17 PM
:popcrn: :popcrn:  did you ever finish buttoning this thing up  ????

not yet--it's COLD out, i'm currently in Wisconsin working at Salvaggio Auto Design doing parts tracking and component restoration, and we have the B5 bird at a friend's body shop at home.  All that and unemployment, too, so money's obviously no object.  :icon_smile_angry:

I do want to go to Branson in this car, and I'll start working on it again in another month or so when it warms up.  the bulk of the hard work is done, so I'm not worried about making the deadline.  If I miss it (like I did for Talladega) though, it is awfully nice to have plans B and C in the garage  ;)

200MPH

Charger

pettybird

Quote from: 200MPH on February 15, 2010, 03:50:13 PM
How well does the engine run with the carb on it ? :2thumbs:

so far, just like a submarine--silent and deep.

(translation:  i haven't started it yet  :lol:)

200MPH

Charger

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on February 15, 2010, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on February 15, 2010, 12:00:17 PM
:popcrn: :popcrn:  did you ever finish buttoning this thing up  ????

not yet--it's COLD out, i'm currently in Wisconsin working at Salvaggio Auto Design doing parts tracking and component restoration, and we have the B5 bird at a friend's body shop at home.  All that and unemployment, too, so money's obviously no object.  :icon_smile_angry:

I do want to go to Branson in this car, and I'll start working on it again in another month or so when it warms up.  the bulk of the hard work is done, so I'm not worried about making the deadline.  If I miss it (like I did for Talladega) though, it is awfully nice to have plans B and C in the garage  ;)
at least soon you will have all three plan a,b & c up and going again .

69_500

Doug your as bad as me always starting stuff and never finishing any of it right? Okay so I finish things eventually but its usually after I have 3-4 more projects around the house or in the garage or on the car rolling as well. Thats typically when I get the original project finished off.

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on February 16, 2010, 09:16:18 AM
Doug your as bad as me always starting stuff and never finishing any of it right? Okay so I finish things eventually but its usually after I have 3-4 more projects around the house or in the garage or on the car rolling as well. Thats typically when I get the original project finished off.

probably worse.  i can't even sell the ones we don't want.

springtime (or so) projects include a new timing belt and water pump for my 944, brakes on the petty car, finish the B5 car, finish marty (including interior/dash work) finish the outside trim work on mom's new house windows, fix/sell her 914, sell my 924 Turbo, sell my wrecked mustang convertible, find a job, etc. 

so yeah, i think we got the same problems.  :lol:

moparstuart

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on July 29, 2010, 02:45:14 PM
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Munch just a tad longer--I actually put a couple miles on it last week!

No hood, no air cleaner, no exhaust...no problem!

I just loaded a new timing curve into the MSD and it revs a lot stronger.  The factory curve in the box went to 27 degrees of mechanical advance at 2000rpm and then backed it off to 24 degrees at 3000...no wonder it didn't pull well.

I have just a couple minor things to take care of--terminate the temp gauge wire at the sender, set the fan controller temperature (I needed the gauge first) and dial the ignition in.  I'm 99% sure (with that last 1% taken up with denial) that my air cleaner/filter is too tall.  Have to get the hood on to confirm, but it's not looking good with the 3" filter.  I also have to find a left hand nut for the water pump pulley--it's normally retained by the mechanical fan.  Then, it's off to the exhaust shop to reconnect the mufflers and tailpipes to my new X pipe.

I'm thrilled that it runs, the transmission shifts as it should, and nothing leaks.  I'll get back to posting pics soon--the new job, this car and my previously mentioned Porsche have taken up a lot of time.  I didn't get to the 944's timing belt in time, and it broke...it's taken weeks and multiple paychecks to get the parts to put it back together. 

The Daytona WILL be at the nats.  I'll push it if I have to!

moparstuart

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on July 29, 2010, 04:04:55 PM
  did you hurt the values in the  944 ??

all eight exhaust valves bent.  I was stubborn and searched for a 16V car, so it's my fault.  my uncle and a good half dozen of his friends have regular 944's with 8V heads, which I could have picked up off the floor and reinstalled on mine.

head work was $520 plus valves which were (surprisingly) only $28/each.  I'm in to the repairs/updates this summer for around $1800.  water pump, belts, rollers, full electrical tune up, cleaned and flowed injectors, motor mounts, sensors, gaskets, timing chain parts and more. 

tyly

Great job with your Daytona :drool5: :drool5:
This is my 5.7 Hemi project.

there are more pictures of my challenger: http://kuvablogi.com/blog/9726/1/

how did you get your alternator to operate?

-Teemu-

Plymouth Superbird 440 six-pack, 4-speed, 15000 miles
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE Hemi
Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 SRT HEMI

http://tyly.kuvat.fi/