News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk lip and radiator support numbers

Started by wreckova68, October 13, 2009, 03:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wreckova68

HI Guys

Can anyone tell me if there is any significance in the numbers stamped in the trunk lip and radiator support (other than confirming the front and rear of the car match).  It looks like mine are B8X942069.  Is this just a random serial number or does this decode somehow like a VIN number??

Thanks

Troy

If your car is a 68 those numbers should match the bottom right of the fender tag (and each other of course!). On later years they will match the VIN.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

As Troy alluded to the '68's are special in that the vin number is not stamped on the frame, but the SO number found on the fender tag. Take a look at this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38316.0.html to get a primer on the '68's. And please post pics of your '68; we do love to look at these cars!  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

John_Kunkel

B8X942069

B= Hamtramck assembly plant
8= 1968
X= Body type Charger
942069= Sequence number
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

wreckova68

Thanks guys. Yep the bottom right fender tag numbers match the trunk lip and radiator support.  Thanks also for the link to the other thread on 68 numbers.  I don't have a build sheet for the car and as it is a 383 2 bbl there isnt a number stamped where the 440 would have one as you say.

It was not sold to me as a numbers matching vehicle.  I believe it is as it came out of the factory - when I bought it 5 years ago a 2 barrel carb was on the 383 (but was not working) and by jacking the rear and turning the wheels it looks like its got 2.76 rear gear in the diff (certainly does not launch like its got 3.54s or 4.10s) and it has no suregrip.

The VIN is XP29G8B129186

The large cast numbers on the block are 2468180.8 with LL under the 81

The number on the trans carrier is 2070742 with AAPW underneath it

So given I dont have the build sheet is there anything else I can do to confirm if it is numbers matching?