News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Rear Trim??? >>>

Started by Charger Aficionado, November 27, 2005, 08:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

This guy sent me this offering it as Daytona Rear window trim...   I know it's not...  What does it go to???  A R.R.???

y3chargerrt

chargervert

Those are 70-74 Dodge Challenger rear window moldings

hemi68charger

Yeah,,, definitely not C500 or Daytona moulding...    ???

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

wingcars6970

Not daytona or 500 .For certain ebody as mentioned.The corners from a 68-70 will work but the standard charger non flush back window trim wont work unless .You use 2 sets a dont mind extra lines.I was able on a superbird we had needed a top piece .Modified it from a regular b body piece of trim.With all these metal gurus stampung out noses and wings out of thick gauge metal and etc body hardware .Why hasnt anyone stepped up to the plate and repoed this thin metal so deseparetly needed.They have vendors for back glass and the plug .But not back window trim for 500/ daytona .Or for the superbird?????????????

hemigeno

I've heard its under consideration, but not close to production just yet.

dayclona

Quote from: wingcars6970 on December 08, 2005, 01:01:06 AM
With all these metal gurus stampung out noses and wings out of thick gauge metal and etc body hardware .Why hasnt anyone stepped up to the plate and repoed this thin metal so deseparetly needed.They have vendors for back glass and the plug .But not back window trim for 500/ daytona .Or for the superbird?????????????

Dave/Wingcar69/70, ohh!............. that rear window trim is the "easy" stuff!.........we thought we'ed make the "hard" stuff first!................ :nutkick:...........let's see.....all that's required is a driven edge roller/ former....oh about $25,000 used, some custom roll tooling..........$2500+...? A  heap of 304/316 stainless sheeting......"no problem".....cheap!...........and I got nothing else to do for a couple of months ,but stand there "practicing" forming that "thin" metal you so "deseparetly" need!....................................how about fiberglass repro's with that shine'y silver tape put on it?........yeah!!!!!.....that way it matches those "fiberglass" A-pillar mouldings out of  teXas :icon_smile_tongue:

69_500

I'm sure it takes a lot of time and money to produce something like that. But in reality it would be most cost effective to reproduce the window trim to say a regular Charger, or a Road Runner or a something else. Something they could sell a few thousand copies of instead of 150 to 300.

But it is something I wish they did reproduce.

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

Just one more reason to use the vega plug. ::)

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

69_500

You think? The vega plug seem like an awful lot of extra work to me.

G-Series

Just an FYI, we've made a set of rear window trim already by fusing two pieces.  It's a lot of work/time to dress them out.  Hopefully before the Winter is out we'll have a few sets available.  Don't know the price yet, and we'll only offer them if they are durable enough.  More on them later.   :icon_smile_big:

69_500

hotrod98

I agree that the vega plug is labor intensive, but the advantages would be having the trim available, less expense for parts and cheaper to replace the back glass if broken.  The cost to go correct would exceed $3500 inc the panel, glass, moldings and shipping. Vega plugs can still be bought for $75.00. It's up to the individual as to how correct he wants his clone. It's still a clone no matter which way you go though.

Charles Addams

69_500

True if you are going to clone a car, but me personally I'd prefer a steel plug, and a repro window. Just something about trying to make it as close as possible. I guess I'm picky, but I would want one as close as it could get.

Ghoste

Anyone have a good pic of the two versions side by side?  Just as a demo of how much difference there is.

hotrod98

One of the daytona repro parts guys told me that the back glasses that are available, are laminated like a windshield and are prone to cracking. Just what I was told, not sure about it though.
People that are familiar with the cars can see the difference between the panel and the vega plug. As for me, I really can't tell other than the moldings look a little different. The thing is, it will never be a real daytona no matter how much you spend. I just want a clone that I can drive without worrying about wrecking a valuable car.

Charles Addams

G-Series

The only way the glass will crack is if you nick it as you install it or the trim and/or clips.  If you don't damage it, it shouldn't crack.  It will react like any front windshield...

THE CHARGER PUNK

who makes daytona repro glass neway?-MATT

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Highbanked Hauler

I've thought about using two sets of trim and see if I can find somebody to weld stainless steel and finish the welds flat.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

dayclona

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 09, 2005, 01:17:51 PM
The thing is, it will never be a real daytona no matter how much you spend. I just want a clone that I can drive without worrying about wrecking a valuable car.

You guys crack me up all the time with this clone BS!..................yes a majority of my customers are restoring "real" cars (all cars are real, no matter how they left the factory!) .....and some customers are building "clones" to pass off as "real" cars.......who cares!...............I feel any car, "real" or "cloned" is still a valuable car.........................if your building a car in today hobby, it had better be the best you can do! .....real, cloned, custom, restified, etc, etc,.............................and if you want to drive a car and not worry about wrecking it !.............please drive a 06 charger! ;D

Mike G. / DAYCLONA

Ghoste

Well, that isn't bad advice Mike, but for some of us, the pockets are shallower than others so the worry about wrecking a car becomes very real.   Yes, you can make the argument that if you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to enjoy it, but that isn't the American way is it?

hotrod98

Why is it that no one seems to get the point?  It has to do with respect. I don't treat my clones the same way I treat my matching numbers cars. That's why I build clones instead of going out and buying the real thing.  I could care less if I wreck a 30k clone. I drive them hard. If I break them, I just repair them and go on. They're clones.   That's what they're for.     I won't treat my #'s cars that way.
Frankly, I'm tired of the B.S..
I think I'll just forget the daytona clone thing and put my R/T SE triple black car back original and save myself the headaches.

Charles Addams

wingcars6970

Not everybody has deep pockets .And or wants or can to spend X amount of $$$ on these.cars that are in a very limited number of supply Me and a friend in TX had done these cars for fun and not such much for profit in the mid 70-s.So building a replica or AKA clone is fine.But typicaly not every guy will go with the high ended parts from various wing supplying vendors.Some go there own way and make or retro fit parts .As in the vega window plug thats the newest thing.The guy near me has the $$ to buy 69 charger500/daytona trunk hinges .But made his own from seeing the ones on my daytona.If your resourcefull you can make do.In certain area of construction.He got a stinger front nose kit .That needed to be reworked and rengineered right out of the box But taking that route allowed moneys to be spent on other items on the build up.Like on a solid casted aluminum wing.But as these cars are in such a limited number and in great demand .And low supply.Certain vendors enter this area only to captilize on this money making limited rising wingcar market.But if they cant sell enough units forhand,It doesnt pay even to tool up in some cases for a limited number of a certain part.So for example Mike and his business associate at 200 Sweet ave in pawtucket will have never generated enough$$$$$$ of these limited parts sales to ever buy the specialized window trim equipmentAnd in my opinion.Where as a devoted wing car guy like ted atleast makes a effort to get something outhere for example as to the remark made about plastic a pillars or rear window trim to the needing masses.!....................................how about fiberglass repro's with that shine'y silver tape put on it?........yeah!!!!!.....that way it matches those "fiberglass" A-pillar mouldings out of   teXas
.When nothing else was being made or available.Somewhere down the road there is going to be only some many real cars needing these parts from these$$ greed driven ego manic fabricators like Mike. Because they already go what they needed  from whats currently available.Or will there be enough salvagable clone donor chargers to become wingcars