News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ZSmithersCharges Torture... I mean resto! (Video added page 5 5/12/2010)

Started by ZSmithersCharges, October 21, 2009, 03:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

No my pic does not show that rail, the piece you are looking at is part of the rusted gas tank the connecting rail for the frame rails is further back and intact.  Sorry for the brief message but I gotta go!  :2thumbs: I did look for you though so feel special, I normally dont take time out for anyone, but this slightly concerned me as well  :D Well, not really... if it was wasted I would replace it but thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Charger440RDN

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: Charger440RDN on November 05, 2009, 04:13:46 PM
Any new pictures lately?  :popcrn:

Sorry I've been quite busy lately  :nana: I will get some more this weekend when I have some time to myself and my girl(the charger)  ;)
Maybe I'll have some time to get some work done, weather permitting of course!

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oldrock

ZSmithersCharges

:lol: okay okay I'll take pictures today!  I'm in the middle of pulling off the fenders, trunk, doors and anything else that will need special attention.  After that I'll be pulling the engine and trans.  Only thing left on the interior is dash and console.  The engine wont be for another week though because Friday is test and tune at the track and I work this weekend  :shruggy:

Oh did I mention I moved?  I'm all sorts of mixed up that's why theres been a lack of updates here but were pretty settled now so I guess I'll do a weekly or monthly update(depending on how fast I decide to work).  I'll create another thread for that though!  Just keep kicking me in the ass, it'll keep me moving along  :icon_smile_wink:

aone415

I like this thread... keep the pics and progress coming!

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

lexxman

Sometimes we need a kick in the ass.I haven't worked on mine for about three. And I'm getting close to the body filler stage. A few more sheet metal repairs and them blast and exp-prime. And I'm picking up a new hood this weekend. :icon_smile_big:
Keep up the work and the pictures. :2thumbs:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: aone415 on May 06, 2010, 07:44:57 PM
I like this thread... keep the pics and progress coming!

Will do snapped some shots today will probably upload them tomorrow after test and tune so I can dump everything off the camera at the same time  :cheers:

Quote from: lexxman on May 06, 2010, 08:49:09 PM
Sometimes we need a kick in the ass.I haven't worked on mine for about three. And I'm getting close to the body filler stage. A few more sheet metal repairs and them blast and exp-prime. And I'm picking up a new hood this weekend. :icon_smile_big:
Keep up the work and the pictures. :2thumbs:

Yeah, I would say you need a kick in the ass definitely.  GET BACK TO WORK YOU SLACKER!  No seriously your so close if your talking about primer!  If I was there this week I would be done by the weekend! I would be too excited to stop.  I would be asleep on the floor next to the car with the paint mask still on with a sanding block, but the car would be done!  :rofl:

ZSmithersCharges

As promised here is your update.  Warning!  Those emotionally attached to chargers may feel strong depression from viewing these pictures of a run down charger  :lol:

Hood, Fenders, Bumper, Grill, Valence, Doors removed and ready for paint stripping/priming.  Engine will be removed next weekend if all goes as planned.

Interior as I said almost completely stripped minus dash and console.

Trunk removed, didn't have time before test and tune to get the rear bumper gas tank and valence like I wanted to but I did get that damn hitch!

No real words here other than  :eek2: and I've got my work cut out for me on this one!

My two favorites talking to eachother.  It probably went something like this, "oh no hes got the damn tools out again, someone hide me!"

MoparManJim

The trunk area, is that the inside of the gas tank I am looking at or the top of it?  :eek2:

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: MoparManJim on May 07, 2010, 04:35:38 PM
The trunk area, is that the inside of the gas tank I am looking at or the top of it?  :eek2:

Inside and on top, its a mix like sherbet!  :eyes:  Taking the tank off tomorrow then probably gonna cut out the crud so I can see what im really dealing with.  Either way its not going to be pretty.  The subframe looks and feels strong from the bottom but you never know till you get that pan off.

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

69DodgeCharger

That rear window channel area looks kind of "soft". I can't tell but it seems like it is "swelling" and pushing the trim up even? Like others said that's where your water is getting into the trunk most likely. Hopefully it is only scale and not soft and crunchy already.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 07, 2010, 09:01:48 PM
That rear window channel area looks kind of "soft". I can't tell but it seems like it is "swelling" and pushing the trim up even? Like others said that's where your water is getting into the trunk most likely. Hopefully it is only scale and not soft and crunchy already.

Yea I need to also take the windows out but am not certain on how

69DodgeCharger

I think the Service Manual will tell you to use a piece of thin gauge or piano type wire wrapped around a stick or dowel. feed it through the sealant under the rear window, wrap around another dowel and have a helper inside the car and "see-saw" back and forth until the seal is cut all the way around. I have a windshield removal tool I use. It was about 16-18 bucks at the parts store. Or, you can cut them out with a regular Stanley knife if your very careful but this tends to chip the edge of the glass since it is not ground. Probably not good as tempered glass doesn't like to have it's edges messed with. You might get a "surprise" A pile of broken glass. That's how we used to break up the scrap windows at the Chrysler glass plant I worked at. We would use a small Allen wrench or screwdriver and just tap the edge of the glass lightly and BOOM! Broken window.

ZSmithersCharges

:lol: Thank you for the advise!  I have a helper so I think I will do the piano wire route as I also have guitars!  If that doesn't work so well where did you get your removal tool?

69DodgeCharger

I got mine at the auto parts store where I buy all my paint and body supplies. Most "real" parts stores will have one or can get it the next day. Or you can flag down a Snap on, or Mac type tool truck and buy one right from them. That's how I got my ball joint socket, double flaring kit and some other specialty tools I have needed over the years and the tool guy will be more than happy to help you out. At least that's been my experience with them.

ZSmithersCharges

69DodgeCharger

If you get windshield removal tool watch the tips on them as they can break off and send you flying backwards when it lets go. I have an extra back glass if......Ah never mind.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 08, 2010, 07:29:36 AM
If you get the windshield removal tool watch the tips on them as they can break off and send you flying backwards when it lets go. I have an extra back glass if......Ah never mind.

Don't ask me how I know. If you've ever landed lower back first on the sticking up pedal of a bicycle you will find out what I did.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 08, 2010, 07:37:20 AM
Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on May 08, 2010, 07:29:36 AM
If you get the windshield removal tool watch the tips on them as they can break off and send you flying backwards when it lets go. I have an extra back glass if......Ah never mind.

Don't ask me how I know. If you've ever landed lower back first on the sticking up pedal of a bicycle you will find out what I did.

Ouch that sounds like a back problem waiting to happen  :brickwall:

lexxman

Ya,I do need a kick in the rear. I did get the new hood today and I only have a few spots to finish and them it's a quick blast and prime.I'm hope this will all be done soon.

Just make sure you catalog all your parts,what you have and where it came from. :2thumbs: