News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When to replace the floor?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, October 22, 2009, 01:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

The floor on the chally has some rustholes in the front and some nasty openings on the tunnel where somebody tred to fit the homemade
consolebracket. Now, I havn't sandblasted the car yet to see how much rust I really have but at what level is it better to replace the floor
rather then fix it with some patches here and there? I mean even if if it's not rusted thru I guess the thickness of a 40 year old floor isn't
exactly super and certainly for a convertible I guess the floor has an impact on the stability of the car or? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Finn

I patched my floor with new sheet metal. Every time Im under the car it bugs me to no end that I didn't use a proper stamped panel.  :Twocents:
Its one of those "do I spend the money now or do I fix it later" situations that is best countered with what works best for you.

Blasting does reveal a lot*
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bull

Personally I wouldn't worry about a few pinholes after the blasting is done. If it looks like someone blew a hole in it with a shotgun that's a different story but IMO 10-20 pinholes spread out over 2 square feet isn't going to hurt anything as long as they're blasted and treated with a good rust preventative. But in my case I'll be reapplying some undercoating to seal it off better.

In regards to structural stability, don't most convertibles have full frames?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on October 22, 2009, 08:20:07 PM

In regards to structural stability, don't most convertibles have full frames?

Not Mopars. They do have extra supports in the rockers along with front and rear torque boxes, But definitely not full frames.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

What's your opinion on floor pinholes, Brian?

Charger-Bodie

If youve blasted the floors and there are pin holes here and there ,even if its quite a few. I would weld them shut ,grind em off . and be glad to still have original floors.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mike DC

If you try patching the original floors, it's not that big of a deal if you decide to redo it later.  The worst than can possibly happen is you decide to cut the floors out & do the full replacement job.  So in that case patching the floors earlier has cost you some time & effort & materials, but it didn't do any long term damage to the car. 

Belgium R/T -68

I will sandblast the car and then I will see if the pinholes becomes craters or not. :icon_smile_big:Thing is I will order all sheetmetal at once since
I need innerfenders, Shakerhood etc etc which ofcourse has to be a containershipping for costreasons so I will also buy the floorpan in case of.
If I don't need it I can always sell it.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Scaregrabber

If the floors weren't available I guess I'd try to patch it. However new floors are available and I'm sure you want to be proud of it.

Sheldon

69bronzeT5

I patched the ones on the Duster with fiberglass :whistling: It'll do for now and it's the best way for my case because the windshield leaks so I don't have to worry about the pan rusting out more. There were a few sections that had pinholes and a few other sections with dime sized holes (only about 3 between the pans). I didn't have access to a welder though so fiberglass was my only choice. I do plan on replacing them with AMD front pans. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

charger_fan_4ever

I can vouch for the AMD full front floor  :cheers:
Real nice fit and has all the seat,seatbelt, e brake brakets already in place.

motorcitydak

as a preliminary test you can take a body hammer with a pick end on one side and  hit the floor pan in various places. If it leaves a hole or severely dents from a light to medium strenght blow then you know that the metal is too far gone and needs to be replaced. Thats how I figured that much of my floor will soon be leaving my car.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]