News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIBRATION!!! I FOUND IT!!!!!!

Started by RECHRGD, November 05, 2009, 11:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

I wouldnt expect them to own up to a bad unit. They SHOULD fix or replace the one you send back.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Quote from: RECHRGD on November 17, 2009, 05:57:15 PM
I just talked to Mike and he's stumped.  He told me to box it up and send it to them to check out.  He said they've never had a unit that was the cause of customer's vibration problems, so this should be interesting.  He's not being an ***hole about it, but just seems to be in denial.  I'll let you know what happens, but it will most likely take awhile.  Bob

Yes, this will be interesting. :scratchchin: I guess if he needs point-by-point documentation of your troubleshooting procedure you could send him a link to this thread. I doubt too many people have done a more thorough job of investigating a vibration source than you have.

G Force

I am having the same problems with vibrations. I have changed everything from the engine, tran, rear end drive shaft etc etc etc.
I to have a GV unit and will be looking at it next.

RECHRGD

I just got off the phone with Mike at G/V.  He said he found "something" a little off with the internal coupler.  He is going to run it by some other people there to see if there is "anything" they can do for me. :shruggy: :shruggy:  I don't really know what that means, so I will reserve comment at this time.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

greenpigs

My guess is something was wrong and he needs to check to see how to handle it(you).
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

b5blue

You may want to let him know many of us who were looking forward to doing this one day, are wondering how "they" will handle this for "you".  :yesnod:

mauve66

yeah, so when i finally get to drive mine after ?? plus years of it sitting in the car and the warrenty has expired , i will know how much its gonna cost me to fix........................ :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

b5blue

Jeze I've wanted to do this for 10 years it's just so expensive!

G Force

I now have my 70 Charger back to the Mechanic. he is going to remove the GV unit and send it back to be evaluated as well.  This is going to be interesting.
My Mechanic has checked and double checked EVERYTHING from the rear wheels up to the GV unit. The engine is completely rebuilt and internally balanced and the transmission is completely new.
All the mounts are new as well. He will probably ship it out sometime this week. The dollars time and aggravation are incredible  :brickwall:

bull

dart340billy

if your yoke has been off it throughs your rearend out needs to be reset up i had the same problem

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

RECHRGD

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on December 07, 2009, 09:35:50 PM
Any word from Gear Vendors RECHRGD?

Not yet!  I'll give them a call this afternoon.  They've had plenty of time to figure out what their going to do.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

elacruze

Here's another thought, although it's stretching and I'll be watching to see what GV says.

Could your tailshaft be bent or out-of-true? If the splines on your tailshaft are not perfectly parallel and concentric with the shaft centerline, that would produce a wobble. When coupled to a yoke captured by the tailshaft bushing it may not show up; but when you use a double-ended coupler into another shaft (which may or may not be supported nearby, I don't know) the clearance stackup could allow a resonance at a particular frequency and load.

Just sayin',

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

RECHRGD

Quote from: elacruze on December 09, 2009, 04:31:04 AM
Here's another thought, although it's stretching and I'll be watching to see what GV says.

Could your tailshaft be bent or out-of-true? If the splines on your tailshaft are not perfectly parallel and concentric with the shaft centerline, that would produce a wobble. When coupled to a yoke captured by the tailshaft bushing it may not show up; but when you use a double-ended coupler into another shaft (which may or may not be supported nearby, I don't know) the clearance stackup could allow a resonance at a particular frequency and load.

Just sayin',

Eric

It's the second transmission that's been in the car since this debacle started, but thanks anyway :2thumbs:.  Bottom line is-----No GV unit installed= No vibration.  GV unit installed= Vibration.  I called GV yesterday around 1:00PM and had to leave a voice mail for Mike.  I did not get a call back.  If I don't hear anything by this afternoon I will call again.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

OK, Mike called back.  He said they found nothing wrong.  That's really not what I wanted to hear! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:  He said they tore it down and everything checked out perfect.  The owner of the company even got involved.  He's sending it back tomorrow.  I told him to find a tighter coupler for it and he said he would.  We went over everything that has been tried and his only thought was that the adaptor (GV tailpiece) might be off a little and be creating an alignment problem.  Of course, the adaptor wasn't sent to GV, per their request.  So here I sit in the same boat I've been in for over two years with yet another theory on what it could be.  I've got another call in for Mike to see if he will throw in a new adaptor with the shipment tomorrow.  I'm just fed up.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

greenpigs

You got a trailer so ditch the 3.55's put in a 4.30 with some drag radials and buy a second Charger for long hauls.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

RECHRGD

Quote from: greenpigs on December 09, 2009, 05:22:15 PM
You got a trailer so ditch the 3.55's put in a 4.30 with some drag radials and buy a second Charger for long hauls.

That's sounding better all the time.
13.53 @ 105.32

Sublime/Sixpack

I feel for ya RECHRGD. I hate drivetrain vibrations, and having to fight one for two years just isn't worth having the OD unit in my opinion. I've considered purchasing a Gear Vendor's unit for my Super Bee for a few years now but after reading your story I think I'll hang onto my money. Have you considered asking them for your money back?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Brickster

I've read the entire thread. I work a a driveline shop (www.dansdriveline.com) and I also have a GV in a Charger. So I have some knowledge of your situation. I had a similar situation with a customers car. We tried many of the same things you have. It seems that you have covered all you bases. If you reinstall the GV unit when you get it back it would be interesting to check the run-out on the driveshaft in a few places (write notes on it were and how much) and then take the shaft back to the driveline shop and have them put it back in the fixture and do the same thing. You should get results that are the same. If you don't you might want to look at the slip yoke and the pinion yoke. On the customers car i mentioned we found that the pinion yoke was machined incorrectly. The surface that centered the u-joint was off center causing the shaft to spin off axis. The yoke was new and came installed on a moser diff. Moser re-imbursed the customer $500 for the work he had paid for to find the vibration. He had spent much more than that. If you are not using spicer lifetime joints I would reccomend that you do in what ever shaft ends up in the car when your done. They have much more preload than a regular grease-able joint and the resulting balance is better.

Brick Casper

bull

Hey Bob, I assume you're running a manual 4 speed, right?

RECHRGD

Quote from: Brickster on December 10, 2009, 01:30:27 AM
I've read the entire thread. I work a a driveline shop (www.dansdriveline.com) and I also have a GV in a Charger. So I have some knowledge of your situation. I had a similar situation with a customers car. We tried many of the same things you have. It seems that you have covered all you bases. If you reinstall the GV unit when you get it back it would be interesting to check the run-out on the driveshaft in a few places (write notes on it were and how much) and then take the shaft back to the driveline shop and have them put it back in the fixture and do the same thing. You should get results that are the same. If you don't you might want to look at the slip yoke and the pinion yoke. On the customers car i mentioned we found that the pinion yoke was machined incorrectly. The surface that centered the u-joint was off center causing the shaft to spin off axis. The yoke was new and came installed on a moser diff. Moser re-imbursed the customer $500 for the work he had paid for to find the vibration. He had spent much more than that. If you are not using spicer lifetime joints I would reccomend that you do in what ever shaft ends up in the car when your done. They have much more preload than a regular grease-able joint and the resulting balance is better.

Brick Casper

Thanks Brick.  The pinion yoke is the same with or without the GV installed and it's fine without the GV.  I'm also on my second slip yoke with no changes in vibration.
Quote from: bull on December 10, 2009, 01:39:34 AM

Hey Bob, I assume you're running a manual 4 speed, right?

No, it's a 727.
13.53 @ 105.32