News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Bakers Daytona

Started by tan top, November 08, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealmoparman

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

And here you go!   :nana:

1RareBird

That's a cool jacket! Who sold that to you anyway?
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

odcics2

Quote from: 1RareBird on November 04, 2014, 05:01:20 PM
That's a cool jacket! Who sold that to you anyway?

Bought it from a guy that went down to see Cotton a few times!   Very reasonable gentleman, I might add...  :cheers:

Did you notice its the same one Cotton is wearing while under the hood of DC-84 on the previous page?  Now, that's cool!!  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

That doesn't mean a thing, its just photographic evidence.  Can you provide a letter from the jacket maker talking about what his wife made for dinner that day?

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Ghoste on November 04, 2014, 07:45:08 PM
That doesn't mean a thing, its just photographic evidence.  Can you provide a letter from the jacket maker talking about what his wife made for dinner that day?

Would not need to be that day......could be from 2 and 3 days before.....because essentially they would be the same....right?

therealmoparman

Aero426

Quote from: therealmoparman on November 04, 2014, 08:35:39 PM
:fu:

You do realize that the people here you are giving the finger to are fans of your grandfather, right?   

I'm not sure that you understand what this discussion is really about.   

C5HM

It strikes me, Doug, that if our puerile friend had spent even half as much time studying the mechanical history of Nichels wing cars as he has mastering photo shop...he'd be about 100% less of what his posts make him appear to be. Sad, really.  You and Greg have done a masterful job of disassembling his blather.  But you may have been too subtle in that accomplishment.  I do not believe that your new BFF yet realizes the slick trailing out behind him is the result of rectal bleeding.

Highbanked Hauler

Your right I don't..    maybe when its all over somebody can put in  paragraph  form.   :shruggy:    I'll crawl back under my rock now.. :leaving:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Stevearino

By the way C5HM. For anyone not clear the Bud Moore referred to in the Racing Champions letter is not the Bud Moore of car ownership fame but former driver "Lil Bud Moore" who was involved in many licencing deals in the early 90's.

Ghoste

Paragraph form;

An important wing car was sold for a very large sum and portrayed as something it wasn't.  A descendent of the man who built the car is the chief proponent of the misinformation.  His evidence has been nothing but hearsay at best.  A great amount of so far irrefutable evidence in the form of photos and timelines and letters concerning the car (not letters about license rights to misrepresent it) was offered to counterpoint the descendents claims by people who have been serious historians of these vehicles for decades.

If you wish another paragraph to sum it up;

The descendent got mad when he couldn't prove his claims, deleted all of his posts, and will likely lurk and stew for a bit until the thread drops off the top of the page.  The end.

tan top

oh crikey  , why did ( TRMM) have to delete all his posts , was a interesting read , the claims & counter claims , as to what the car was & what its not etc ,  

anyways  thanks for sharing more  awesome back in the day pictures , on this subject  (odcics2) ( Aero 426) , love this kind of stuff  :cheers:  :2thumbs:  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2014, 06:25:55 AM
Paragraph form;

An important wing car was sold for a very large sum and portrayed as something it wasn't.  A descendent of the man who built the car is the chief proponent of the misinformation.  His evidence has been nothing but hearsay at best.  A great amount of so far irrefutable evidence in the form of photos and timelines and letters concerning the car (not letters about license rights to misrepresent it) was offered to counterpoint the descendents claims by people who have been serious historians of these vehicles for decades.

If you wish another paragraph to sum it up;

The descendent got mad when he couldn't prove his claims, deleted all of his posts, and will likely lurk and stew for a bit until the thread drops off the top of the page.  The end.

Got it, as stated awesome pictures !!!
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

I imagine he deleted his posts because he was arguing from a position of personal emotional involvement rather than facts.  Every counter claim was taken as a personal attack on his grandfather.  They never were of course but I believe he is blinded by emotion in this topic and unable to recognize that. 

moparnation74

Quote from: Aero426 on November 04, 2014, 10:09:39 PM
Quote from: therealmoparman on November 04, 2014, 08:35:39 PM
:fu:

You do realize that the people here you are giving the finger to are fans of your grandfather, right?   

The more this guy posted here, the more I believe he is a douche!

Ghoste

I never met him personally so I'm wiling to give the benefit of doubt as to character, I think he just took all evidence as an attack on a family member he loved and misses.  He was never defending the issue he was fighting for his family.

moparnation74

Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
I never met him personally so I'm wiling to give the benefit of doubt as to character, I think he just took all evidence as an attack on a family member he loved and misses.  He was never defending the issue he was fighting for his family.
Did you happen to see the picture he made that was removed?  I was appalled.  I also stood up for him earlier in this thread, which I came into late.  He has definitely changed my viewpoint.

Ghoste

I missed the photo but I did catch the flip the bird smileys.

odcics2

Cage study.   Anyone that knows these cars knows you don't go around swapping cages... 

Cotton Owens had 2 race Daytonas.   The Replica #6 was a "3rd" car.   Read on...  Study the photos.

See the simple gusset detail which proves there are 2 distinct cages seen in the photos?
DC-84 is in the background of the photo with the yellow arrow, pointing to the gusset.
There is no gusset on the Replica #6 show car in that same location.

What this proves is that the "Replica 6" car was strictly out on the show circuit, as Andy Agosta stated
in his letter.  While not being shown, it was in storage, waiting to be hauled to another show.

Sometimes the smallest details tell the biggest story.

Besides, if you look closely, the cages have 3 distinct styles.   
And the Replica #6 Show car appears to have thin bars in it...   :shruggy:

Highbanked Hauler

Could the show car have been built off of an older chassis that was not usable for some reason  hence  the differences ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 05, 2014, 06:45:21 PM
Could the show car have been built off of an older chassis that was not usable for some reason  hence  the differences ?

It is thought that the replica 6 was built from a short track Charger - most likely 68 vintage. Possibly even updated to a Charger 500. It was wrecked.
It was (is) a real Cotton Owens car.  That was never in dispute. What was in dispute was the fact it never raced , as a Daytona, but was a Show Car only, from then on.

Construction techniques are all you can go on to approximately come up with a date when these cars rolled out of Nichels Engineering.
If you are lucky, the Nichels tag is on the car. (Usually by the master cyl.)  On the one pic above, you can see "DC-84", a typical Nichels number,on the rear end cooler. Another example is "DC-93", the Chrysler Engineering Daytona (#88). That rolled out of Nichels shop in late November 1968.

held1823

Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
I never met him personally so I'm wiling to give the benefit of doubt as to character, I think he just took all evidence as an attack on a family member he loved and misses.  He was never defending the issue he was fighting for his family.

no need to play nice, he was a total dick. a rather limp one at that. other than this thread, he made ZERO contribution to the site or the hobby, and will not be missed. speaking of missed, he did miss a few posts on his purge spree. notice the date on his first one here. he is the one who misrepresented the car for the ebay sale. it's no wonder he took exception to any and all evidence that proved him wrong.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Stevearino

I was not aware that you established speed records at Talladega by running the car in both directions. I thought that was a salt flat thing. :slap: I would like to see some archive footage of the car running clockwise to verify the record. :popcrn: