News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Bakers Daytona

Started by tan top, November 08, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Note the carpet seam running down the center of the driveshaft tunnel.    The carpet kit was not unusual on the actual race cars and was in there for a reason.  

TUFCAT

I've been watching this thread in the background and I must admit... this was probably the most entertaining and factually presented argument thread on the board in a long time. :icon_smile_wink:

It proves once again that the wing car guys here at DC.com really know their stuff!  :2thumbs:

odcics2

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 05, 2014, 09:47:53 PM
I've been watching this thread in the background and I must admit... this was probably the most entertaining and factually presented argument thread on the board in a long time. :icon_smile_wink:

It proves once again that the wing car guys here at DC.com really know their stuff!  :2thumbs:

It helps to own one...   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 05, 2014, 09:47:53 PM

The areo section is what attracted me here :yesnod:

When I joined......I found the other sections pretty good too. :2thumbs:

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on November 05, 2014, 07:34:27 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
I never met him personally so I'm wiling to give the benefit of doubt as to character, I think he just took all evidence as an attack on a family member he loved and misses.  He was never defending the issue he was fighting for his family.

no need to play nice, he was a total dick. a rather limp one at that. other than this thread, he made ZERO contribution to the site or the hobby, and will not be missed. speaking of missed, he did miss a few posts on his purge spree. notice the date on his first one here. he is the one who misrepresented the car for the ebay sale. it's no wonder he took exception to any and all evidence that proved him wrong.

Where did the $$ go, since The Weatherly Museum owned the car...  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Not sure but I believe the grandson brokered the deal.

held1823

yes, the grandson did list the car. he states exactly that in the post i copied and pasted on the page before this one. this explains why, in the face of overwhelming evidence to prove otherwise, the grandson belittled and bemoaned everyone who pointed out his false representation of the car. if he had any genuine interest in his grandfather's racing legacy, you'd have seen him involved in more than this single thread. he was not defending his family, he was looking out for number one. he was called out, so he bailed out.

i can picture cotton recalling that "this is the car we won in", meaning the daytona body in general and not this specific chassis itself. his over eager grandson saw nothing but dollar signs, and missed that distinction. perhaps unintentionally, but rather than admit the mistake, he dissed the very people that hold his grandfather in high regard. as i said, he contributed nothing to this forum, and will not be missed.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

That seems all true enough too.

TUFCAT

According to his profile, "therealmoparman" had 160 posts (mostly on this thread).......all but a few have been recently deleted.  :shruggy:

Sifting through the rubble of gutted posts I found this.... from the thread: "The REAL story of the Cotton Owens/Buddy Baker 1969 Dodge Charger"

February 12, 2010, 09:33:07 PM  

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the 1969 Dodge Daytona built by Cotton Owens. The confusion comes from you folks who are actually the ones who are "slowly rewriting the history of this car." Allow me to clarify this once and for all.

Who am I? I am Cotton's grandson. I know the history of this car because I heard it directly from the horse's mouth. You can find a picture of me sitting in this car on the cottonowens.com website.

Firstly, this car was indeed the Southern 500 winner. The car later raced at Charlotte, where it was wrecked. The car was rebuilt by Cotton and made into a show car. It was later parked at the Darlington museum, where it remained for almost 40 years. It was then retrieved by Cotton, and I listed the car for him on ebay, where it sold for $801k. Of course they did not race it with carpets! Lots of modifications were made to make it a car suitable for the show circuit and the museum.

Secondly, this same car was the first car to exceed 200mph in a NASCAR sanctioned race - at Talladega. However, for it to be an "official" record, it has to be done with timing equipment, run both directions, etc. Therefore, Chrysler engineers built the #88 car and set out to "officially" claim the 200mph record for the recordbooks. This is all well documented on the cottonowens.com website. They used Buddy Baker as the driver because he was Cotton's driver and therefore a "factory" driver. Chrysler promoted the 200mph record with the #6 car, because it was an actual race car, and indeed because it did break the 200mph barrier. This is also well documented by Chrysler and you can even find an ad from that era on the website - http://cottonowens.com/photos3.html

Anyone suggesting anything to the contrary is simply incorrect and spreading half-truths. This is the real story. Period. Enough already! All you have to do is visit the website.

held1823

that is the same post of his that i posted the screenshot of on the previous page, to preserve it in case it was later deleted
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

TUFCAT

Aero426

This "is" a car being built from the ground up at COG.     This is how it was done in the early days before Nichels was up to full capacity.    Owens, Petty, Nichels and Norm Nelson built their own cars from tear downs of complete cars.

These old cars had a LOT more "stock" left in them.  

Stock dash.  All this would be gone by 1968 as cars evolved into purpose built machines.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

Incidentally, just how much is Canepa hoping to rape some poor soul for on this thing?

Aero426

Last published ask was 550k.    That was a while back.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 06, 2014, 09:10:16 AM

You mean it wasn't me? I feel slighted.   :eyes:

odcics2

You hiding a hemi under your lid?    :lol:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: odcics2 on November 12, 2014, 06:20:06 PM
You hiding a hemi under your lid?    :lol:

No, but I have one in the garage.  :icon_smile_big:

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 11, 2014, 09:02:20 PM

I know.....it's almost unbelievable.....but I never noticed your magnificent turban.....and the.....unusual sense of humor that came with it :angel:.......until after I joined.

To do my best to set things right....here's a  :pity:

odcics2

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 13, 2014, 11:36:32 AM

I know.....it's almost unbelievable.....but I never noticed your magnificent turban.....and the.....unusual sense of humor that came with it :angel:.......until after I joined.

To do my best to set things right....here's a  :pity:

geeze...   Perhaps you oughta get a room, er, make that a garage!  :smilielol:   

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: odcics2 on November 14, 2014, 05:27:08 AM
Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on November 13, 2014, 11:36:32 AM

You mean it wasn't me? I feel slighted.   :eyes:

To do my best to set things right....here's a  :pity:

geeze...   Perhaps you oughta get a room, er, make that a garage!  :smilielol:  

In this day and age, being friendly on the internet is one thing......hanging out with an armed guy in a turban is something else entirely. :rotz:

Highbanked Hauler

I think they shot themselves in the foot when they painted the car and sprayed it with bed liner or whatever they used. At least before it looked like it came off the track but not now. :rotz:  People with that kind of money aren't dumb and are going to be looking for a return on the investment. :yesnod: You could probably have a decent clone of it built for 20% of what they are after. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

therealmoparman

:shruggy: