News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy Bakers Daytona

Started by tan top, November 08, 2009, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Hey, look who's back....   "💩"

500Jon

Wicked thread here guys!!!

The #6 Daytona gotta be worth as much a 70 hemi cuda ragtop surely???
If the great man himself (CO-G) built this car and Buddy even farted in it, then its HISTORY!!! :2thumbs:
What history do hemi ragtops have, NONE!!! :smilielol:

I'd pay a Million for it at the drop of a HAT!(if I had a million that is)

How will Gregs #88 be welcomed?
Will there be a Post Mortem on that car too???

5J lovin every word!

What starts off with a throwaway comment, can end up in a Lawsuit?

If this car ran 198mph on any track anywhere, anytime, anyhow, then its COOLIO in my book!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ps I owned the fastest Drag-racing street Mopar in Europe at one time, then 5 years laters everyone denied it???
as we say in England, ''NOWT AS QUEER AS FOLK''
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on November 28, 2014, 12:27:14 PM
Wicked thread here guys!!!

The #6 Daytona gotta be worth as much a 70 hemi cuda ragtop surely???
If the great man himself (CO) built this car and Buddy even farted in it, then its HISTORY!!! :2thumbs:
What history do hemi ragtops have, NONE!!! :smilielol:

I'd pay a Million for it at the drop of a HAT!(if I had a million that is)

How will Gregs #88 be welcomed?
Will there be a Post Mortem on that car too???

5J lovin every word!

A good point.   In my opinion, a street Hemi Daytona should be on par with a Hemi Cuda convertible.    The market does not see it this way.  But we could soon see the first million dollar public sale of a Daytona with Tim Wellborn's bronze car.    The Owens #6 at 800k was probably the highest sale to date back before the recession hit.    I doubt you could repeat that number for any of the race cars out there today.  Perhaps one of the Petty Superbirds could do it.

The history on Greg's #88 is documented with photos and paperwork from the day the car was born at Nichels Engineering until the time was pulled out of Don White's back yard.    There are no gray areas whatsoever as to what the car did or did not do.  

Ghoste

Especially when some gray is not as gray as others.

500Jon

Come on guys,

How many #6 Daytona's out there?
Supposed REAL ones???
If there was ten, twelve, fifteen all queueing up for the miilion dollar hit then there's a problem.
I think this car is Unique, why go to all this trouble to denounce it?

Just look at the English Royal family, there plenty of skeletons there too!

Just be happy for this Buddy Baker car, you don't have to sell your soul to the devil to own it!
Just marvel in its existence and BEAUTY!!! :2thumbs:

If these cars were all gone there would be no discussions anyways?
5J

ps GREY is GREY not GRAY LOL!!! :nana:

500Jon

Some Folks pay $50,000,000 for a piece of canvas with BUTT FUGLY oil splashed on it!

Who's mad there then??? :slap:

I'D PAY A MILLION FOR IT, ALL DAY LONG!!! :pity:

WHAT'S UP WITH YOU GUYS???

IT BEAUTIFUL, stop arguing and start saving or doing the lotto lol!

BUDDY BAKER :notworthy:
We are not worthy, the man and his cars are GODS of Nascar.
5J

Ghoste

That's exactly it Jon, there was one REAL number 6 car and this is not that car.  To use your royal family analogy, this would be more like a bastard son claiming the throne and telling the world at the same time that he is the true son of the king AND queen.  This car was sired by the king but its mother was a lady of the court.

TUFCAT

I don't like fakes of any kind in our hobby (whether its this car or any other Ford, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, etc.).

Its ALWAYS BAD for the hobby when someone gets burned.  :flame:  Thankfully, the aero guys have provided solid evidence here this replica was built by Cotton Owens for Chrysler's auto shows and never raced (but with a running and driving race drivetrain).  Like Ghoste has pointed out on many occasions....most high-dollar well-healed collectors don't frequent internet forums so buyer beware.  :'(

held1823

sadly, the car's real auto show story would be just as compelling, perhaps even to a much larger audience than the aero crowd
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

TUFCAT

Quote from: held1823 on November 29, 2014, 11:28:49 AM
sadly, the car's real auto show story would be just as compelling, perhaps even to a much larger audience than the aero crowd

Yes, definitely so.  I don't know what's wrong with telling "that story".  :shruggy:  It still has historical value that could be proven.... as there's pictures all over the place from the 70-71 auto show circuit.  :yesnod:

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on November 29, 2014, 05:03:07 AM

How many #6 Daytona's out there?
Supposed REAL ones???
If there was ten, twelve, fifteen all queueing up for the miilion dollar hit then there's a problem.
I think this car is Unique, why go to all this trouble to denounce it?

The discussion is not about denouncing the car, or Cotton, or anything of the sort.   It is still a great machine, built by Cotton Owens.     Just call the car what it is.

odcics2

Here is an example of the vintage documentation needed to prove statements. A vintage photo and factory written paperwork goes a long way.....
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Yeah it is a great car built by a great man and you know it makes me feel bad in a way trying to defend its true history because in order to do that you end up making negative comments about it.  It shouldn't have to be that way.

moparnation74

Quote from: Ghoste on November 29, 2014, 06:59:41 PM
Yeah it is a great car built by a great man and you know it makes me feel bad in a way trying to defend its true history because in order to do that you end up making negative comments about it.  It shouldn't have to be that way.
Well put Ghoste!   :2thumbs:

500Jon

Very well put Mr.Ghoste.

Lets say that our great Driver 'Buddy' was a little heavy footed from time to time and as we all know the #6 got wrecked more than once!
If I had a hard front ender and a hard rear ender sitting 'out-back' of the shop and a pristine race-preped car on tour.

I KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO!!! :hack: :hack: :hack:

MY PRISTINE RACE CAR WOULD BE OFF THE SHOW CIRCUIT AND PRESSED INTO DUTY! :vert:

When it was reletively quite I would get my apprentices to carefully make one good SHOWCAR, outta two wrecked racecars LOL!!! :2thumbs:

I reckon the SHOWCAR IS IN FACT, two #6 racecars!!! renumberd as #12??? :scratchchin:
Thats why there's two no.6's on the later car noses!
NOW ITS WORTH 2 MILLIONS LOL :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ghoste

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 28, 2014, 12:04:50 PM
Hey, look who's back....   "💩"

He lurks frequently.  Interestingly accurate cartoon representation chosen for the deleted threads.

Aero426

The old Cotton Owens Garage race car shop.   Hemi's then,  Hondas now.   

Aero426

View of the entire 1960's race car shop.   I believe Cotton sold this building some years ago.   therealmoparman can give us the skinny, I am sure.

Cotton's home and other workshop  which are being sold are out of view to the right and behind.  

Aero426

Cottons home (white house in background) and home shop (blue building)   The 1960's Grand National shop is to the left.

The yellow open trailer off to the right hauled a lot of race cars.   

warmpancakes

I got a personal tour of cottons home garages. The blue building in the above picture, and the other 2 outbuildings on his property.  The amount of history that you could "feel" was amazing,  there were parts and pieces everywhere  probably one of the top 5 coolest places ive ever been to the building had the smell and aura about them that cant be explained.   Its sad when you think what will happen to them in the near future.

TUFCAT

Great pics and memories...keep 'em coming!  :2thumbs:

warmpancakes

Quote from: Aero426 on December 04, 2014, 01:47:13 PM
Cottons home (white house in background) and home shop (blue building)   The 1960's Grand National shop is to the left.

The yellow open trailer off to the right hauled a lot of race cars.   

just beyond the building with the open doors  theres a smaller garage (grey roof white stripe)  inside it is al NOS hemi and drivetrain parts,  plus some other oddball Items, cottons christmas tree, was in there too,  best part it was all organized like it was 1969 again

odcics2

Quote from: warmpancakes on December 04, 2014, 04:40:16 PM
I got a personal tour of cottons home garages. The blue building in the above picture, and the other 2 outbuildings on his property.  The amount of history that you could "feel" was amazing,  there were parts and pieces everywhere  probably one of the top 5 coolest places ive ever been to the building had the smell and aura about them that cant be explained.   Its sad when you think what will happen to them in the near future.

I can explain the smell!  Taco Bell !      :nana: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Golden-Arm

Quote from: 500Jon on November 29, 2014, 05:03:07 AM
ps GREY is GREY not GRAY LOL!!! :nana:

Gray vs. grey

Gray and grey are different spellings of the same word, and both are used throughout the English-speaking world. But gray is more common in American English, while grey is more common in all the other main varieties of English. In the U.K., for instance, grey appears about twenty times for every instance of gray. In the U.S. the ratio is reversed.

Both spellings, which have origins in the Old English grǽg, have existed hundreds of years.1 Grey gained ascendancy in all varieties of English in the early 18th century, but its dominance as the preferred form was checked when American writers adopted gray about a century later. As the Ngram below shows, this change in American English came around 1825. Since then, both forms have remained fairly common throughout the English-speaking world, but the favoring of gray in the U.S. and grey everywhere else has remained consistent.

In the USA, we use "Gray", not "Grey". Know your history. :nana:

Ghoste

Jon is from England, the area which the language as spoken and written comes from.  ;)