News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wrinkle paint warning

Started by HeavyFuel, November 11, 2009, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

This afternoon I tried to finish up my air cleaner using wrinkle paint from Eastwoods.  Well, after about 10 seconds of spraying, small chunks of something started coming out in the spray.  Totally ruined the job, and I had to hit the air cleaner quick with the mineral spirits to get everything off before it started to set up.  Pisses me off, I mean that stuff is like $15 a can or something like that.  And I had already painted the underside with semi-gloss, so I hope that will be OK after getting the spirits on it.

I will be trying Krylon, and a heat gun.

Silver R/T

Most of that stuff you can buy from Napa, etc. Waste of money to buy spray paint from catalog. if you can get it powdercoated, local powdercoater does wrinkle finish and it looks great
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Lee

Here is a tip for you. Whenever you buy any finish in a spray can, always heat it up in a sink full of  of hot water. Shake it for several minutes and reheat again. The problem is that as a can of paint sits around the materials inside clump together and coagulate. Heating it up breaks them back down.

HeavyFuel

Yeah, I'll try that in the future.  Time flies, and some of the those paints I have are pretty settled, I'm sure.  Although the can I used on the air cleaner cover was just produced in like, March.  Not too old.

Chatt69chgr

I read somewhere that after you sand and clean the surface, you warm up the part and then apply the wrinkle paint out of the can.  Also should warm up paint in can per previous suggestion.  Spray it on and then let it do it's thing.  Now I didn't know that powdercoaters could do wrinkle.  If you can find one that does this then I would have it done that way.